Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #131567
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fuel leaking. Something I missed?" Previous topic | Next topic
electroheadSep-12-10 04:43 PM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#131567, "Fuel leaking. Something I missed?"

I've been trying to figure out my mysterious fuel leak isssue. My first thought was the fuel safety valve, which was cracked. Filled up my tank after buying a hatch from teklein and sure as hell, the smell came back. I took the cover under the rear seats off and found the tank covered in fuel. The area that was soaked was towards the rear of the pump assembly, as well as the hardline that goes towards the safety valve. I replaced the hose that connects the safety valve hardline to the hardlines under the car. I figured that was it, since the hose split while I was taking it off. Filled up, and the leak is back. I also replaced the fuel pump gasket with the same results. I'm beginning to think my tank has a crack somewhere or the fuel safety valve hardline is cracked and I need a new fuel tank. From what I'm able to see, my tank is pretty rusty on top. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

electroheadSep-12-10 08:51 PM
182 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#131576, "RE: Fuel leaking. Something I missed?"
In response to Reply # 0

Is there something I overlooked?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorbullettdsmSep-13-10 03:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#131590, "RE: Fuel leaking. Something I missed?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by electrohead
Is there something I overlooked?
Honestly, not much we can do from here. You have the area to look at and now you need to narrow it down to exactly what's leaking

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Ebster1085Sep-13-10 06:35 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#131591, "RE: Fuel leaking. Something I missed?"
In response to Reply # 2

Fuel vent valve, rollover valve, charcoal canister...

My bet is that it is something with your EVAP system.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

eclipserstturboSep-13-10 08:29 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
#131593, "RE: Fuel leaking. Something I missed?"
In response to Reply # 3

Drop the tank and check for a crack. Honestly I'd just replace the tank if I were you. Not sure how I would feel about a rusty gast tank. If it's rusty on the outside and leaking from the top... odds are there's some inside the tank too. Just my 2c.

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

electroheadSep-14-10 09:15 AM
182 posts,
#131599, "RE: Fuel leaking. Something I missed?"
In response to Reply # 4

It looks like I`m going to replace the fuel tank. While I`m there, I might as well change the fuel pump too. I keep forgetting my car is a 15 year old New England car. Rust happens. I guess I`ll just drive with half a tank max until I save enough money.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #131567 Previous topic | Next topic