Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #126907
View in linear mode

Subject: "Changing Cam Gear Seals" Previous topic | Next topic
ZipDriveXJul-30-09 11:27 AM
Member since Nov 07th 2006
25 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#126907, "Changing Cam Gear Seals"

So I took the venge to a mechanic earlier this week so he could help me find my massive oil leak. We pinpointed it to the rear cam gear seal so I'm gonna be replacing that one and the other one. Also since I have to take the timing belt off I'm gonna replace it too (not sure if it's ever been done for this motor)

Now I have never done this before.... but with the help of friends in town I'm 100% positive that I can do this. I've read a bunch of stuff on here about the t-belt and cam gears and I'm just posting this to get your guys experianced comments and suggestions on the situation.

I'm looking for tips, advice, and other things to possibly repair/replace while I'm torn into it. Thanks in advance guys!!!

Boosted Venge With 8-Injector Setup & 034

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals, AdministratorCODE4, Jul-30-09 12:22 PM, #1
RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals, ZipDriveX, Jul-30-09 12:43 PM, #2
      RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals, freelancefool, Jul-31-09 04:46 AM, #3
           RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals, Moderatorteklein, Jul-31-09 05:56 AM, #4
                RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals, ZipDriveX, Jul-31-09 10:45 AM, #5
                     RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals, RoninEclipse2G, Jul-31-09 11:13 AM, #6
                     RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals, AdministratorCODE4, Jul-31-09 11:26 AM, #7
                     RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals, AdministratorCODE4, Jul-31-09 11:26 AM, #8

AdministratorCODE4Jul-30-09 12:22 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#126909, "RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals"
In response to Reply # 0

By rear cam gear seal are you referring to the cam closer to the firewall (intake)? Because there is not a seal on the back of the cam.

The seals are only about 7.00 a piece. As for the T-Belt change look at the post by TheDawg on this page.

Here.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=126898&mesg_id=126898&page=

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ZipDriveXJul-30-09 12:43 PM
25 posts,
#126910, "RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals"
In response to Reply # 1

Yes, the intake sprocket. I've read that write up now and a few others and I'm going to replace:

*New Water Pump
*New Timing Belt
*New Timing pulleys
*New Valve Cover and Spark Plug Tube Seals
*New Cam Seals
*Inspect the Timing Tensioner for wear, replace if necessary

freelancefoolJul-31-09 04:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#126926, "RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals"
In response to Reply # 2

Replace the bearings as part of the T-belt kit. I didn't see that on the list of things that you would replace.

My Blog

ModeratortekleinJul-31-09 05:56 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#126927, "RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals"
In response to Reply # 3

Get the PartsDinosaur kit.

Also, has the HG ever been done? While its all apart, its not much more to go ahead and yank the head too. At which point your gasket kit would come with came seals.

ZipDriveXJul-31-09 10:45 AM
25 posts,
#126929, "RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals"
In response to Reply # 4

I appreciate everyones comments and I have one more question: Can I remove the cam gears and replace the seals w/o taking the cams themselves out?

RoninEclipse2GJul-31-09 11:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#126932, "RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals"
In response to Reply # 5

Yes, but it's easier to take them out.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

AdministratorCODE4Jul-31-09 11:26 AM
2552 posts,
#126934, "RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals"
In response to Reply # 5
Jul-31-09 11:27 AM by CODE4

Originally posted by ZipDriveX
I appreciate everyones comments and I have one more question: Can I remove the cam gears and replace the seals w/o taking the cams themselves out?

The two T-Belt changes on my 99 RS were done without removing the camshafts. You just need to make sure you are not sloppy and nick the sealing surface on the camshaft.

If you decided to pull the cams to replace the seals make sure you have a new VC gasket set, anaerobic sealer, and RTV sealer. If you are ambitious enough and want to change your head gasket during your T-Belt service this is all moot as you will have to perform the above to remove the head.

---

2012 2500HD LML

AdministratorCODE4Jul-31-09 11:26 AM
2552 posts,
#126935, "RE: Changing Cam Gear Seals"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by ZipDriveX

the two T-Belt changes on my 99 RS were done that way. You just need to make sure you are not sloppy and nick the sealing surface on the camshaft.

If you decided to pull the cams to replace the seals make sure you have a new VC gasket set, anaerobic sealer, and RTV sealer. If you are ambitious enough and want to change your head gasket during your T-Belt service this is all moot as you will have to perform the above to remove the head.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #126907 Previous topic | Next topic