Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #125217
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fan Problem" Previous topic | Next topic
zwickyjApr-16-09 08:24 PM
Member since Aug 12th 2006
51 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#125217, "Fan Problem"
Apr-16-09 08:24 PM by zwickyj

I cannot seem to get the fans on my car to come on as they should. I have replaced the thermostat, the coolant temperature sensor, and the temperature switch, checked all the relays, fuses and fusible links. I don't know where to go from here. The one odd thing I found after replacing these parts is the fan does not come on when I hit the A/C switch, but whether that switch be on or off if you turn the switch for the interior fan speed the passenger side fan comes on. I was just wondering what I could check next. I have slim fans also and cannot say for sure if the fans worked before I did the swap or not as I had driven the car for only five days and in that time my lower radiator hose blew, causing me to just upgrade.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

420agreenvilleSCApr-16-09 09:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#125218, "RE: Fan Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

check to see if the fans are getting power during all ratios. when therm opens, when a/c's on, etc.

If they're getting power, your fan motor may be bad

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SilvrEclipsApr-17-09 08:11 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#125219, "RE: Fan Problem"
In response to Reply # 1

Every now and then my fans would decide not to come on. I ended up getting pissed at them and know let MS control them. You may want to just wire one so it stays on all the time. At least you will be able to drive the car without worrying about overheating. This would also tell you if the motor is good.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

eclipse982nrRSTApr-17-09 11:35 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#125220, "RE: Fan Problem"
In response to Reply # 2
Apr-17-09 11:35 AM by eclipse982nrRST

Originally posted by SilvrEclips
Every now and then my fans would decide not to come on. I ended up getting pissed at them and know let MS control them. You may want to just wire one so it stays on all the time. At least you will be able to drive the car without worrying about overheating. This would also tell you if the motor is good.

Thats ghetto....(wiring a fan to run all the time)

Fix it correctly, dont hack up your fans.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

SilvrEclipsApr-17-09 11:47 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#125221, "RE: Fan Problem"
In response to Reply # 3

How in the hell is that ghetto? If the fans dont work how is he going to even drive the car without it overheating. Sometimes electrical problems take a while to figure out. So why not just bypass the relay and have them run all the time. I said nothing about hackin up the fans, you can by pass the relay at the fuse box with a small jumper wire. At least he would be able to drive the car around.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

zwickyjApr-17-09 07:59 PM
Member since Aug 12th 2006
51 posts,
#125229, "RE: Fan Problem"
In response to Reply # 4

I was hoping to find something I could check or start checking off on a list, I didn't know if it was just the way I wired the slim fans or not, I used every wire on the stock harness and just wrapped the wires together (pos + ground). When I first got the car it seemed like there was a wire coming off on a harness on the a/c which was wrapped into the fan harness just hanging there. I reconnected the wire and now this. I've checked the relays out and each one clicks, I also have some extra's I've swapped out. I won't be driving the car for another month, but I would like to have the car run the fans as they should.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #125217 Previous topic | Next topic