Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #125049
View in linear mode

Subject: "Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing" Previous topic | Next topic
ZipDriveXApr-08-09 09:33 AM
Member since Nov 07th 2006
25 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#125049, "Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing"
Apr-08-09 03:29 PM by ZipDriveX

So I bought a used B&M short throw and when I went to pull it out of the box the shifter pivot fell off the stud that holds it to the shifter and all the little needle bearings fell out and into the box. Further examination and I found that the bearing inside the pivot is completely shot and the stud is all sorts of gouged up (see pics below). I called B&M to see if they carried replacement parts I could purchase from them but they don't.

I've got a few different ideas to fix this but would like any and all input. Thanks 2GNT! :

Boosted Venge With 8-Injector Setup & 034

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing, Moderatorteklein, Apr-08-09 10:00 AM, #1
RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing, Mopar McNeer, Apr-08-09 11:29 AM, #2
RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing, ZipDriveX, Apr-08-09 12:44 PM, #4
      RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing, Locke_db, Apr-08-09 02:57 PM, #5
      RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing, ZipDriveX, Apr-08-09 03:00 PM, #6
RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing, Locke_db, Apr-08-09 11:48 AM, #3
RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing, Nemo, Apr-08-09 10:11 PM, #7
      RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing, Nemo, Apr-08-09 10:13 PM, #8
           RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing, ZipDriveX, Apr-08-09 10:19 PM, #9

ModeratortekleinApr-08-09 10:00 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#125050, "RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow.

How in the hell did they manage that.

Are you sure its a B&M and not a knock off? Id call B&M customer service again and try to get somewhere with them.

But, if none of that works, id suggest order a bearing roughly the size you need and have a machine shop fit it.

Srsly though, make sure you didnt get ripped off for a knock off. Id probably revoke the Paypal too if you paid that way.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Mopar McNeerApr-08-09 11:29 AM
Member since Apr 03rd 2007
59 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#125051, "RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by ZipDriveX
Thanks ASEC :

Thanks ASEC??? LOL Copying posts to other forums pwns you!
So a couple questions, did you buy this used or new? Is it stamped by B & M? Sounds like you got a bad deal bro.

I guess we'll see how go the B & M Customer service is...but I wouldn't hold out too much hope, especially if this is a used part.

95 Avenger 2.0 - Hahn 16g, DMS 8 injector setup, UDP, Big FMIC, HKS SSQV, MSD Coil & Wires,
ZEX Nitrous System, QTP Cut Out, Mandrel 2.5" Exhaust with cat delete, MP 60mm TB...and tons of Carbon Fiber

ZipDriveXApr-08-09 12:44 PM
25 posts,
#125054, "RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing"
In response to Reply # 2
Apr-08-09 02:40 PM by ZipDriveX

Originally posted by Mopar McNeer
Originally posted by ZipDriveX Thanks ASEC :
Thanks ASEC??? LOL Copying posts to other forums pwns you! So a couple questions, did you buy this used or new? Is it stamped by B & M? Sounds like you got a bad deal bro. I guess we'll see how go the B & M Customer service is...but I wouldn't hold out too much hope, especially if this is a used part.

Oops, forgot I wrote that lol! I bought it used from Jay who bought it from Summit Racing 3 years ago. It's an exact match to the one in the pic:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BMM%2D45077&N=700+4294924667+4294907686+4294907638+400004+115&autoview=sku

Locke_dbApr-08-09 02:57 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2006
89 posts,
#125055, "RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing"
In response to Reply # 4

The B&M looks like an exact match to my china knock-off, also.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=287

ZipDriveXApr-08-09 03:00 PM
25 posts,
#125056, "RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing"
In response to Reply # 4

I talked to Summit because it IS that shifter but they (just like B&M) don't carry seperate parts. I'm going to a local bearing shop to night to see if they can come up with something for me.

Locke_dbApr-08-09 11:48 AM
Member since Aug 25th 2006
89 posts,
#125052, "RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing"
In response to Reply # 0

You'll need a new bearing and pivot bolt. There is no hope for that thing.

Perhaps just buy a eBay knockoff and see if the parts are interchangeable. China knock-off companies do none of their own R&D, but do a pretty decent job at copying others. If knock-off parts do not fit, you can just use the whole knock-off shifter. There is nothing wrong with it.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=287

NemoApr-08-09 10:11 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2008
366 posts,
#125072, "RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing"
In response to Reply # 3

Press out the bolt and take it to a machine shop along with an exact replacement bearing. They know what to do. It's very simple. Probably gonna run you around a hundred bucks-hopefully a little less-depends on where you live and how busy they are. It's cheaper to undercut it on a lathe, cold weld, and recut the diameter than to send it out for chrome or a nickle alloy and have to grind it back in. Good luck!

NemoApr-08-09 10:13 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2008
366 posts,
#125074, "RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing"
In response to Reply # 7

Nickel (damnit) hate when that happens

ZipDriveXApr-08-09 10:19 PM
25 posts,
#125075, "RE: Bad B&M Short Throw Bearing"
In response to Reply # 8

I'd rather just buy an ebay one then spend another $100 on the damn thing.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #125049 Previous topic | Next topic