Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #125007
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cam Gear Noise?" Previous topic | Next topic
ZipDriveXApr-06-09 12:16 PM
Member since Nov 07th 2006
25 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#125007, "Cam Gear Noise?"

Ok so there's a new noise in my car and I'm not exactly sure what it is or how to describe it but I'm gonna try. If I leave it in, say third gear and keep it at a steady 35mph, i'll hear this noise that sounds like a chain being dragged accross the ground kinda going "gring, grind, grind, grind, grind". It's not constant but it like pulses.

I popped the hood and tryed to find where it was coming from and the nearest I can come up with is it sounds like it's coming from around the cam gears. Like in that area somewhere. I'd like to get this problem resolved before she gets boosted this summer. Anyone? Ideas?

Boosted Venge With 8-Injector Setup & 034

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Cam Gear Noise?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Apr-06-09 01:28 PM, #1
RE: Cam Gear Noise?, ZipDriveX, Apr-06-09 04:21 PM, #2
RE: Cam Gear Noise?, Locke_db, Apr-06-09 05:33 PM, #3
      RE: Cam Gear Noise?, ZipDriveX, Apr-06-09 05:54 PM, #4
           RE: Cam Gear Noise?, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-10-09 05:27 PM, #5
                RE: Cam Gear Noise?, ZipDriveX, Apr-10-09 08:27 PM, #6
                     RE: Cam Gear Noise?, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-11-09 10:04 AM, #7
                          RE: Cam Gear Noise?, ZipDriveX, Apr-12-09 02:47 AM, #8
                               RE: Cam Gear Noise?, Mopar McNeer, Apr-12-09 08:15 PM, #9

ModeratorbullettdsmApr-06-09 01:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#125012, "RE: Cam Gear Noise?"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-06-09 01:28 PM by bullettdsm

Boy, noises over the internet are tough. You could try to post up a vid to see if that helps. But that doesn't always because it can sound different over the computer speakers.

Try narrowing the noise down using the big screwdriver like a stethescope (I use a stethoscope for this, lol). Put it on various parts (not the belts or moving parts obviously) and stick the other end to your ear. See if you can isolate the noise.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ZipDriveXApr-06-09 04:21 PM
25 posts,
#125018, "RE: Cam Gear Noise?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Boy, noises over the internet are tough. You could try to post up a vid to see if that helps.

In every video or sound clip I tried to take the exhaust and engine noises overpower the bad sound so you can't hear nothin. I will try that though, thanks!

Locke_dbApr-06-09 05:33 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2006
89 posts,
#125020, "RE: Cam Gear Noise?"
In response to Reply # 1

I've had success with a nail shoved up the end of a vacuum line.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=287

ZipDriveXApr-06-09 05:54 PM
25 posts,
#125021, "RE: Cam Gear Noise?"
In response to Reply # 3

Listened to it a little bit more after work tonight and I almost wish I hadn't cause it seems that it's worse of a problem then I originally thought. The sound doesn't seem to be coming from any of the belts or pulleys.

It sounds like it's coming from underneath the intake manifold? It only starts to make the noise at 2000rpm and gets louder and faster as the rpms go up. I'm worried something is majorly wrong w/ my internals

RoninEclipse2GApr-10-09 05:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#125140, "RE: Cam Gear Noise?"
In response to Reply # 4

is the car running ok?

I'd lean toward bearing noise on one of the belts but you still haven't posted that you've tried a scope.

if it seems to be coming from under the intake manifold you might have a bad alternator bearing. that can have a grinding sound.

like others have said, go get a mechanics stethescope and start listening to things in the area of the sound.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

ZipDriveXApr-10-09 08:27 PM
25 posts,
#125145, "RE: Cam Gear Noise?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
is the car running ok? I'd lean toward bearing noise on one of the belts but you still haven't posted that you've tried a scope. if it seems to be coming from under the intake manifold you might have a bad alternator bearing. that can have a grinding sound. like others have said, go get a mechanics stethescope and start listening to things in the area of the sound.

The car runs fine. My friend listened with a screwdriver and said everything sounded good. My alternater belt is wobbling so I guarentee that's the problem. I'm replaceing the tranny tomorrow and once that is done I'll get on the pulley and belt.

RoninEclipse2GApr-11-09 10:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#125150, "RE: Cam Gear Noise?"
In response to Reply # 6

good to hear you figured it out. you'll probably need a new alternator sadly.

at least it's not something much more catastrophic!

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

ZipDriveXApr-12-09 02:47 AM
25 posts,
#125168, "RE: Cam Gear Noise?"
In response to Reply # 7

I meant a/c pulley not alternator, sorry drunken posting

Mopar McNeerApr-12-09 08:15 PM
Member since Apr 03rd 2007
59 posts,
#125186, "RE: Cam Gear Noise?"
In response to Reply # 8

So have you pulled off the belt to verify that it was one of those pulleys?

The A/C Clutch Assembly is what you are likely hearing if it is infact the A/C Assembly. I believe you can replace those components individually, but you'll likely end up spending less money in the long run by replacing the entire A/C assembly instead of just the clutch and seals.

http://www.rockauto.com

I've had many great experiences getting great parts from them for great prices.

95 Avenger 2.0 - Hahn 16g, DMS 8 injector setup, UDP, Big FMIC, HKS SSQV, MSD Coil & Wires,
ZEX Nitrous System, QTP Cut Out, Mandrel 2.5" Exhaust with cat delete, MP 60mm TB...and tons of Carbon Fiber

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #125007 Previous topic | Next topic