Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #120047
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can I mix oil types?" Previous topic | Next topic
LouisFeb-14-07 04:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
158 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#120047, "Can I mix oil types?"

Hey guys,
I have been running 10w30 synthetic for a couple of years now. Today i went to get my oil changed and they fucked up and put regular 10w30. I was in a rush so i didn't notice until i checked the receipt after i got to work...
I usually fill up my car every month or so since it has a small leak and have 10w30 synthetic at home to do so.
My question is, what should I do since they put regular oil this time?
Should I just buy some regular 10w30 and fill it up with that or can I use the synthetic i got at home?
On the other hand, should I just go back and try to have them just redo it with synthetic all over? Is there anything wrong with having run synthetic for so long and all of a sudden go to regular?
My car has 160,000 miles on her btw.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

LouisFeb-14-07 04:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
158 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#120048, "RE: Can I mix oil types?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ok now I'm all confused while trying to figure what happened here...is there such a thing as a Mobil 1 10w30 NON synthetic? or are all Mobil 1's synthetic?
This shop uses only Mobil oil and I am pretty sure while they were putting the oil they used the 10w30 Nozzle.. but on the receipt they charged me 30 bucks which is the price for a regular change and it just lists: M1030 Mobil 10w30
So I'm trying to see if either a)I got regular Mobil 1 "non synthetic"
or b) they did use mobil 1 (synthetic) and just fucked up and charged me for a regular change...
I guess I wanna make sure I dont go bitching later on and turns out they did put the right poil but undercharged me...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

VelocitaPaolaFeb-14-07 05:13 AM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#120049, "RE: Can I mix oil types?"
In response to Reply # 1

I know Mobil makes conventional oils, but I believe "Mobil1" is strictly synthetic. The conventional oils they produce are under the name "Mobile 7500" or something of that nature.

Either way, I don't see the harm in having conventional in there for a little while. It's not nearly the crisis situation as some might have you think.

cc8ballaFeb-14-07 08:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#120050, "RE: Can I mix oil types?"
In response to Reply # 2
Feb-14-07 08:02 AM by cc8balla

Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
It's not nearly the crisis situation as some might have you think.

I know lol. People think that oil is the biggest issue ever sometimes. Don't worry about it Louis.

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

I contributed to the wiki!

happy p'ple

LouisFeb-14-07 08:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
158 posts,
#120051, "RE: Can I mix oil types?"
In response to Reply # 3
Feb-14-07 08:22 AM by Louis

Originally posted by cc8balla
Originally posted by VelocitaPaola It's not nearly the crisis situation as some might have you think.
I know lol. People think that oil is the biggest issue ever sometimes. Don't worry about it Louis.

OK, cool, thanx...just making sure it's all good. Guess I'll just let it be but change it after 3k instead of 5k which i do with the synthetic one..to be on the safe side.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-14-07 11:08 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#120052, "RE: Can I mix oil types?"
In response to Reply # 4

If you have a leak, I recommend you use conventional and change it every 3000. Save the money and get the oil leak fixed. Then use synthetic.

Terry

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #120047 Previous topic | Next topic