Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #117315
View in linear mode

Subject: "Huge ? to ask" Previous topic | Next topic
TJEclipseFeb-09-01 12:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1000 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#117315, "Huge ? to ask"

LAST EDITED ON 09-Feb-01 AT 05:54 AM (PST)

I was wondering, I hear all the time about peeps running up to 140, 150 and so on and so forth in there eclipse, my question is this, In 5th gear @ 132 MPH I am at 5500 RPMs and it wont go any faster. WHY?? What did you guys do to your car to make it go faster than that speed? I cant figure it out. Did you do something to your computer or does it have something to do with the tires? Let me know so I can get in on it too. I love speed and I want to know my cars Max result. I have 195/70/14's Stock rims (for now) and when I get my 2 tires in I will have 205/40z/17's.

Also, I sent this in awhile ago and I was wondering if I could use your webpages to link to my webpage. Let me know

TJ

TJsEclipse@aol.com
Know Your Role Jabroni!
1998 Eclipse wit 3 JL 12's hittin it up in the back!!
Got Rice? I dont!
http://tjeclipse.homestead.com/tjspage.html

TJ

RIP Mama 7/13/04
TJEclipse@gmail.com
Just Bring it, Jabroni

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Huge ? to ask, Basikstylz, Feb-09-01 01:49 AM, #1
RE: Huge ? to ask, TeamMuRiX, Feb-09-01 01:54 AM, #2
RE: Huge ? to ask, TeamJasonESi_T, Feb-09-01 02:09 AM, #3
RE: Huge ? to ask, Moderatorjuan, Feb-09-01 12:26 PM, #16
RE: Huge ? to ask, TeamJeff_99gs, Feb-09-01 02:22 AM, #4
Murix..., Skrilla, Feb-09-01 05:03 AM, #6
RE: Huge ? to ask, Moderatorjuan, Feb-09-01 05:09 AM, #7
A turbo owner?!?! TJ..., Skrilla, Feb-09-01 04:54 AM, #5
      RE: A turbo owner?!?! TJ..., js99rs, Feb-09-01 05:19 AM, #8
      RE: A turbo owner?!?! TJ..., Basikstylz, Feb-09-01 05:47 AM, #9
      NOT ME, TJEclipse, Feb-09-01 06:01 AM, #10
      RE: NOT ME, TeamMuRiX, Feb-09-01 06:21 AM, #11
           I agree but..., TJEclipse, Feb-09-01 06:52 AM, #12
           RE: I agree but..., Basikstylz, Feb-09-01 08:07 AM, #13
                RE: I agree but..., TeamMuRiX, Feb-09-01 08:34 AM, #15
                RE: I agree but..., Moderatorjuan, Feb-09-01 12:40 PM, #17
           I agree Chris...., TeamJasonESi_T, Feb-09-01 08:16 AM, #14
      Cool. Welcome!, Skrilla, Feb-09-01 01:14 PM, #18
      RE: AT..., phatGS, Feb-25-01 07:06 AM, #20
RE: Huge ? to ask, TeamMichael_97RS, Feb-09-01 04:08 PM, #19

BasikstylzFeb-09-01 01:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
129 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#117316, "RE: Huge ? to ask"
In response to Reply # 0

I am not sure what model car you have but I know the GST's have a govenor at 130 where as the GSX dosen't have one. This is partially because of the stock tire ratings the cars come with. The GSX comes with Z rated tires stock and the GST comes with H?? rated I think. Whatever the GST comes with is not safe above 130mph. I would guess it would be the same situation for a GS and an RS.

Jeff
96 Tsi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamMuRiXFeb-09-01 01:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#117317, "RE: Huge ? to ask"
In response to Reply # 1

The speed issue is that you are running out of steam on the top end. I think you are going as fast as you will go without more mods to make some really good top end power. At speed you run into aerodynamic/weight issues. I think most of the guys you hear about going so fast have a lot of mods and are making good power. I have hit 150mph, but I make over 300hp.

Oh, go ahead and link away to the webpage. Perhaps we should start a 2gnt web ring.

MuRiX
97 Eclipse GS HRC Stage II
And a whole lot of other mods...
89 Accord LSi - yes it's mine
http://murix.home.icq.com/index.html

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

TeamJasonESi_TFeb-09-01 02:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#117318, "RE: Huge ? to ask"
In response to Reply # 2

Yeah, go ahead and link to mine as well. On my web page, I've been trying to keep up with the 420a DSM's that are turbocharged and have web pages. I know I may not have everyone, but I've at least been trying to keep up.

As far as the top speed issue, Chris is right. Think of it this way, each of us that have modded our cars, have different levels of horsepower. As you know, that level of HP is rated at a particular rpm. (ex. 140HP @ 6000rpm) Therefore, if Chris is close to 300HP @ 6000rpm, his 420a engine has the same rev range, he just makes MORE speed and relative HP at the same rpm as you do. Thusly, while your bouncing at 6000 rpm's in 5th gear going 130+ mph, Chris is around 6000 rpm's in 5th gear doing 150+mph. The cpu thinks more in terms of rpm limitations rather than pure speed limitations on your speedometer.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

ModeratorjuanFeb-09-01 12:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#117319, "RE: Huge ? to ask"
In response to Reply # 3

LAST EDITED ON 09-Feb-01 AT 05:30 PM (PST)

Just to be clear on this, I will go the _same_ speed as Chris (or anyone else here) in the same gear at the same engine rpm, assuming equal tire diameters.

The problem here is that aerodynamic drag increases as the cube of the velocity. Remember how the power curve starts dropping off after 6000rpm? Well, we start not being able to drive the car faster because the aerodynamic drag exceeds the power output of the engine. Turbo'd 2GNTers can drive their cars up to the limiter in fifth (good for 160something) because they are making a lot more power. 1G turbo guys with ToddzModz can hit somewhere over 175mph at 8000rpm. If you modded correctly with NA and improved your high rpm power output (ported everything, free intake/exhaust, etc), you should be able to get more speed out of the car. One point though, a GS-T and possibly GSX driver would likely have a higher maximum speed regardless of what we do to our car, as they have 'taller' gearing.

More succinctly, the theoretical vehicle speed in any gear is determined only by:

- rpm
- transmission gear ratio
- final gear ratio
- tire rolling diameter

In the real world, aerodynamic drag may prevent the car from reaching maximum speed as determined by redline in top gear from this equation.

This is why some 6 speed cars can be faster in 5th than 6th, if the 6th gear is an 'overdrive'. The car may not be able to overcome the drag in this gear at very high speeds, as they are designed more for cruising at highway velocities with lower rpm. This happens with Corvettes, as one example. In a vacuum, the car would of course be fastest at the top of 6th. But then, you'd have other problems, like breathing, or providing O2 for combustion...

I once proved a roomate that the Porsche 959 was incapable of driving at 245 mph, like he insisted it could. I dug up from my CRC Handbook the equation for aerodynamic drag, and calculated the 440hp that car generated made it top out at somewhere just over 200mph. I was glad to prove him wrong, cos he was a complete dumbass...

juan

TeamJeff_99gsFeb-09-01 02:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#117320, "RE: Huge ? to ask"
In response to Reply # 2

I have hit 130, but I let it go as soon as I got there because I was running out of road
It still wanted to go...I'm not sure what the RPM was at the time, but I could tell it had more steam. And this was on a completely stock car.
One thing I can think of is that you hit 130 on your stock 14" wheels and tires...Some people here have 17-18" wheels, and as the diameter of the wheels increases, so does the potential for top end speed. Get those 17"s on, and we'll see how fast you go then. Should be a fun experiment. And if you get pulled over, tell them its in the name of science

Jeff

http://gs.dsmpower.com

SkrillaFeb-09-01 05:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#117321, "Murix..."
In response to Reply # 2

You Flywheel HP is 338HP according to your last Dyno

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

ModeratorjuanFeb-09-01 05:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#117322, "RE: Huge ? to ask"
In response to Reply # 2

Actually, I started the process of creating a web ring a little while ago, but didn't get it finished. If anyone wants to be the manager, pls contact me offline and we can get it up and running...

Oh, and you high speed runners, please be careful when running H rated tires. While a quick run up to top speed shouldn't cause a problem, sustained operation at speeds higher than the tires rating CAN cause a blowout, and obviously a severe accident.
There is a story that during the Silver State Classic in Nevada (http://www.silverstateclassic.com/home.htm) a Testarossa crashed badly when one of the V-rated (<149mph) tires blew at around 170. Driver survived, but his wife was killed. Just something to think about.

juan

SkrillaFeb-09-01 04:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#117323, "A turbo owner?!?! TJ..."
In response to Reply # 1

Our Turbo friend Jeff got it all correct about the Governor except for the RS GS and Base model Eclipses, basically All 2GNT's 5 speed. We don't have govenors except that the AT's gear out at 130. It's the same for me TJ, as Murix said, without more modifications to add power to our engine our cars just run outta steam. Find a good hill to go down and my car will take 150mph easy. One more thing, even though we also only have B.S. H rated tires our cars and still able to hit 150 with some decent engine work

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!

js99rsFeb-09-01 05:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
332 posts,
#117324, "RE: A turbo owner?!?! TJ..."
In response to Reply # 5

you can hit those speeds with any tires but the problem is they start to get too hot and you will eventually lose control. thats why the gst has the 130 speed limiter. you should be alright as long as you dont go that fast for very long

-jason

BasikstylzFeb-09-01 05:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
129 posts,
#117325, "RE: A turbo owner?!?! TJ..."
In response to Reply # 5

Yeah I know a turbo owner on a non turbo site. but I have been reading the posts on this forum for a while and I like the way you guys entertain all questions from ricer body kits to techincal questions.

Jeff
96Tsi

TJEclipseFeb-09-01 06:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1000 posts,
#117326, "NOT ME"
In response to Reply # 9

What kind of smart remark was that? We here do have turbo owners but they are 420a turbo owners not 4g63 so Know Your Role. No one asked you for your opnion, I was asking the 420a peeps.

TJ

TJsEclipse@aol.com
Know Your Role Jabroni!
Got Rice? I dont!

TJ

RIP Mama 7/13/04
TJEclipse@gmail.com
Just Bring it, Jabroni

TeamMuRiXFeb-09-01 06:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#117327, "RE: NOT ME"
In response to Reply # 10

I like to think we welcome anyone and everyone. The main focus is for the 420A, but with others participating you really get a lot understanding for cars in general. So, regardless of what you drive, and as long as the intention is not to slam, welcome.

MuRiX

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

TJEclipseFeb-09-01 06:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1000 posts,
#117328, "I agree but..."
In response to Reply # 11

he doesnt need to come in here talking smack. ya know what im saying, Im just making sure he Knows His Role.

TJsEclipse@aol.com
Know Your Role Jabroni!
Got Rice? I dont!

TJ

RIP Mama 7/13/04
TJEclipse@gmail.com
Just Bring it, Jabroni

BasikstylzFeb-09-01 08:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
129 posts,
#117329, "RE: I agree but..."
In response to Reply # 12

How am I talking smack?? Cause I said ricer body kits? If so hey man I got a kit on my car. so yeah I consider it rice but calling it rice doesn't make it a bad thing. I love kits and all the different things people do to their cars to make them look better or go faster. as far as saying a turbo on a non turbo board I didn't mean anything by that other than I know this is a forum used mostly for 420a's and I don't have one. But chill I am not here to bash anyones cars. actually my post was trying to compliment the fact that this was a cool site where people could talk about all aspects of their cars. On some other sites if you talk about any kind improvment that isn't hp or handling related, such as Body kits or spoilers, then you get bashed or your questions don't really get answered. guess I either didn't make my self clear or you just took it the wrong way.

Jeff
96TSI

TeamMuRiXFeb-09-01 08:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#117330, "RE: I agree but..."
In response to Reply # 13

I understood your post. Welcome. TJ, I think he was just mentioning that we don't send people away for their questions and din't mean to attack you in any way. If it has to do with the car, regardless of what it is, we can talk about it here. And the fact is, a lot of the sections, Like Jason mentioned, can pertain to any eclipse. Body/suspension especially. So again. Welcome.

MuRiX

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

ModeratorjuanFeb-09-01 12:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#117331, "RE: I agree but..."
In response to Reply # 13

TJ is our resident "pit bull", and sometimes is a little, um, quick to react. I think there was just a misunderstanding about the content of your original post.

It is too bad you catch flak on the turbo boards about that stuff. We try to keep an open mind here and encourage discussion on any mod that can be done for these cars. Well, except for those 14" ghetto 'stick-out' wheels, gold fender caps and airbags...

juan

TeamJasonESi_TFeb-09-01 08:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#117332, "I agree Chris...."
In response to Reply # 11

I think it's very cool that a 4g63 owner comes over here and participates. That way, he becomes more educated to our drivetrain and adds to the spice of the discussion. Further, we still do have a lot of similarities with the stock turbo models including all the suspension stuff and aesthetica additions.

I think Jeff, if you find any acceptance problems, it's only because a lot of people have faced superiority issues from other 4g63 owners. I'm not saying that all about you by your very presence here at our board.

Welcome aboard, and feel free to add whatever views you have in regard to our wonderful cars. As you had alluded to before in your prior post, this board has a lot of special qualities in terms of its diversity of interests, knowledge, and most importantly, the wonderful regard and respect everyone shows for one another.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

SkrillaFeb-09-01 01:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#117333, "Cool. Welcome!"
In response to Reply # 9

Good 4G-63T owners are far and few for many of us. Good to have some of your input

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by etx

phatGSFeb-25-01 07:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
541 posts,
#117334, "RE: AT..."
In response to Reply # 5

You say that the AT is gear limited at 130....if there are mods though....aren't you guys saying that the speed at the same rpm would be more?

Brandon
'95 GS, Auto.
AEM Cold Air w/ bypass valve
Front Upper Strut Brace
Maxspeed coilovers

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-09-01 04:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#117335, "RE: Huge ? to ask"
In response to Reply # 0

Welcome Jeff,

As long as you aren't slamming anybody... which I didn't see. Stick around and share in the knowledge. If we start to attack every 4G63 owner, then we become as bad as we sometimes complain they are to us. So welcome, hope we can help you out as much as everybody here has helped me out.

And Jason, our resident laywer has, as always, put together the best composed post.

Jeff 99GS,

I have to disagree abou the wheel size post. As you increase wheel size you are almost certainly going to increase tire width, which at higher speeds is going to creat a greater rolling friction and drag on the car. This is why the record setting cars that run on the salk flats have pizza cutter tires. And we ran through the whole thing with rotating mass and power turning the wheels a while back and how acceleration slowed, so I could see it droppping a littl eoff the top end too.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #117315 Previous topic | Next topic