Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #117292
View in linear mode

Subject: "Header install" Previous topic | Next topic
Tony_MFeb-12-01 01:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
10 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#117292, "Header install"

Well im planning on tackling my headers this weekend...i havent really had a chance to look at it but they didnt come with instructions so any kind of info would be awesome..also are there any pages with step by step instructions or can someone scan me theres? thanks alot guys..they are hotshot 4-2-1 headers btw...

be safe
tony

97 Eclipse RS
TMescan@aol.com
AF/X, Iceman Intake, HotShot Headers, Tenzo
Muffler, Front and Rear Strut bars, Eiback Pro kit
http://members.aol.com/TMescan/main.html

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Header install, Will, Feb-12-01 02:18 PM, #1
RE: Header install, Tony_M, Feb-17-01 01:35 PM, #2
      RE: Header install, Kahn, Feb-17-01 06:01 PM, #3
RE: Header install, XT_DSM, Feb-17-01 06:37 PM, #4
I ditto that..., Skrilla, Feb-18-01 11:53 AM, #5
      What if the bolts get screwed up....., GSsport, Feb-18-01 01:35 PM, #6
           RE: What if the bolts get screwed up....., Tony_M, Feb-18-01 04:01 PM, #7
           RE: What if the bolts get screwed up....., Tony_M, Feb-18-01 04:44 PM, #8
                RE: What if the bolts get screwed up....., Tony_M, Feb-18-01 06:55 PM, #9
                     get another O2 sensor, klipzracer, Feb-18-01 08:47 PM, #10
                     RE: What if the bolts get screwed up....., gzrs99, Feb-21-01 01:03 PM, #11
                          RE: What if the bolts get screwed up....., Tony_M, Feb-21-01 02:11 PM, #12
           I bought new bolts..., Skrilla, Feb-21-01 05:59 PM, #13

WillFeb-12-01 02:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
153 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#117293, "RE: Header install"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a Greddy header and the installation was pretty straightforward. Remove the o2 sensor first, mine was a pain in the ass to remove. It would be good if you have the sensor socket but an open wrench should do it. You might need to drain the coolant so you can disconnect the water pipe, depends on your car.

Removing the stock parts takes most of the time, after that, it's a piece of cake.

Will
99 Black GS

----------
Will
99 GS - Sold
05 G35C
2GNT Member #51

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Tony_MFeb-17-01 01:35 PM
Old School 2GNTer
10 posts,
#117294, "RE: Header install"
In response to Reply # 1

Good friggen lord this has been a pain in the a$$ so far...ive been working on it for about 4 hours today and havent even gotten the stock header off...all of the heat shield bolts were stripped so i took a hammer and beat the hell out of it and broke it off (funnest part so far ) drained the coolant and have yet to get the O2sensor all the way off...that thing is on there good but i can turn it so thats good its just real stiff yadda yadda im going to try and put together a header install page after its all said and done...going to visit my bud and pick up some extra tools so i can get her finished tomorrow wish me luck!

tony

97 Eclipse RS
TMescan@aol.com

KahnFeb-17-01 06:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
431 posts,
#117295, "RE: Header install"
In response to Reply # 2

Yeah Tony, please try and do that -btw are you sure thats an RS - I was looking at your page - and your mirrors and door handles are colored, your car has power windows - tbe only RS option I see is the wheels - looks an awful lot like a GS to me.

2003 VW GTI 1.8t.. I used to have a 95 Eclipse but well...water sucks.

XT_DSMFeb-17-01 06:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#117296, "RE: Header install"
In response to Reply # 0

http://members.dencity.com/xtdsm

Dude are you sure they are Hotshots? I mean I never thought hotshots make any 4-2-1, I have one myself and it's 4-1.

I might be wrong tho

Adel

SkrillaFeb-18-01 11:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#117297, "I ditto that..."
In response to Reply # 4

My HotShots are 4-1 as well.

Header install - One more thing you will want to consider is some use of WD-40 on those bolts, heavily, and let them sit for like 20 minutes. Then take to those bad boyz with the use of a breaker bar with some socket extensions of a foot or more. Cracking open the header-to-downpipe bolts(2) should be easy, with that. That's how I did it and you wouldn't believe how easiy it was.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

GSsportFeb-18-01 01:35 PM
Old School 2GNTer
109 posts,
#117298, "What if the bolts get screwed up....."
In response to Reply # 5

And you can't get them out? Do you have to use any anti-seize stuff for the installation? Thanks

Tony_MFeb-18-01 04:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
10 posts,
#117299, "RE: What if the bolts get screwed up....."
In response to Reply # 6

yea you guys are right i dunno what i was thinking but they are 4-1, yea when i bought the car they had it marked as a gs and i was like whats goin on here since the car didnt have any power locks/windows etc so they ran the vin and said that i was right, friggen car salesmen...anyways i finished up everything and the O2 sensor is stripped pretty bad but i have it half way in there what does that mean? also when i started the car i noticed i was leaking coolant pretty bad so i resealed the back of the housing and it seems to be fine now but i still need to finish up some things...also the car is smoking alot im guessing from burning up all the wd-40 i used? take it easy guys

Tony

97 Eclipse RS
TMescan@aol.com
Muffler, Front and Rear Strut bars, Eibach Pro kit

Tony_MFeb-18-01 04:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
10 posts,
#117300, "RE: What if the bolts get screwed up....."
In response to Reply # 7

LAST EDITED ON 18-Feb-01 AT 09:55 PM (PST)

alright ive totally screwed something up after taking the car out on the street it ran fine for a little bit but then started making this loud sound coming from the engine that almost sounds like a go-cart...the thing where the radiator cap is, is smoking too, but i filled both the radiator cap and the resivor up with coolant and it looks like its stopped...is that right? please help!! is it the headers making the go cart sound? is it supposed to sound like that?

97 Eclipse RS
TMescan@aol.com

Tony_MFeb-18-01 06:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
10 posts,
#117301, "RE: What if the bolts get screwed up....."
In response to Reply # 8

alright well i finally figured out that the O2 sensor had came loose and was just resting in there...the threads on it are stripped pretty bad and i can only get it to go in about 1/4 of the way...just enough to hold it in pretty good....how is this going to effect my performance? should i buy a new one? is there anything i can do to try and fix the threads on it? the car is running pretty strong now that ive tightnd everything up..no leaks or smoking im just worried about the senser not being in far enough

97 Eclipse RS
TMescan@aol.com

klipzracerFeb-18-01 08:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#117302, "get another O2 sensor"
In response to Reply # 9

Do what I do whenever i need to replace a part that you can't get performance......call the junk yard and get one.

chris
Project RS
"I wish my car was a chick magnet....instead it's a cop magnet!"
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/chrisdishmon/project_rs.html

gzrs99Feb-21-01 01:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
108 posts,
#117303, "RE: What if the bolts get screwed up....."
In response to Reply # 9

Your gonna need another o2 sensor. dude.. I encountered simaliar problems when installing my pacesetter headers. I managed to strip some of the heat shield bolts.. strip o2 sensor had to purchase another one from satan $130.00 for that part.
Oh yeah. retorque those header bolts after driving around. leaks could develope.

Tony_MFeb-21-01 02:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
10 posts,
#117304, "RE: What if the bolts get screwed up....."
In response to Reply # 11

well i got my o2 sensor from satan (satan was suprisingly nice) for $99 giving me %20 off for being a dsm club member wohoo...put it on right there and the car runs great! I think i may have lost a little bit of low end though but the top end is awesome!

97 Eclipse RS
TMescan@aol.com

SkrillaFeb-21-01 05:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#117305, "I bought new bolts..."
In response to Reply # 6

...and will continue to everytime I install. If you can't get the old ones out then drill them out, as a last resort. Try some antisieze though. Definitely use it on the Cylinder Head and some dielectric grease.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #117292 Previous topic | Next topic