Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #116363
View in linear mode

Subject: "EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP" Previous topic | Next topic
TheRedBarrenMar-05-08 03:11 PM
Member since Oct 02nd 2007
61 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#116363, "EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"

I went over to my buddies house for about 2 hours, when I left I noticed that there was a rather large puddle of oil under where my car had been sitting. So I put 1 qt of oil in and it brought me to about half way on the stick... I limped it back to my house (about 6 miles away or so) being extremely easy on it and listening - the motor sound fine. I got home and all oil was gone, past the lowest line on the stick. Here are some pics... I need help pinpointing.

Leak just from sitting in the garage for 10-15 min.

Oil is covered all on the bottom of the car even WAY past the cat!!

I started the car and looking under, the oil SEEMS to be spewing on top of this CV joint, but from WHERE? This is why the oil is everywhere from the joint slinging it.

My first guess would be the oil pressure sensor is loose but dont appear to be coming from that.

THANKS

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, ez, Mar-05-08 03:17 PM, #1
RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, TheRedBarren, Mar-05-08 03:19 PM, #3
RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, TheRedBarren, Mar-05-08 03:17 PM, #2
RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, foggy45, Mar-05-08 03:19 PM, #4
RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, ez, Mar-05-08 03:23 PM, #5
RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, TheRedBarren, Mar-05-08 03:23 PM, #6
      RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, ez, Mar-05-08 03:28 PM, #7
           RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, TheRedBarren, Mar-05-08 03:30 PM, #8
                RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-06-08 02:47 AM, #9
                     RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-06-08 04:42 AM, #10
                          RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, TheRedBarren, Mar-06-08 10:00 AM, #11
                          RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-06-08 10:09 AM, #12
                          RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, TheRedBarren, Mar-06-08 11:28 AM, #14
                               RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-06-08 12:37 PM, #15
                                    RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, TheRedBarren, Mar-06-08 12:50 PM, #16
                                    RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-07-08 03:39 AM, #17
                                    RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, TeamDR1665, Mar-07-08 04:19 AM, #18
                                    RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-07-08 07:26 AM, #19
                                    RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-10-08 02:39 AM, #23
                                         RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-10-08 05:21 AM, #24
                          RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, ez, Mar-06-08 10:11 AM, #13
                               RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, 2GeclipseRS, Mar-09-08 12:12 PM, #21
                          RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, C L U T C H, Mar-09-08 05:35 AM, #20
                               RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, BoostedEclipse, Mar-09-08 05:13 PM, #22
                                    RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, Joecruz45, Sep-12-13 05:56 AM, #25
                                         RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP, biteback1000, Sep-30-13 08:49 PM, #26

ezMar-05-08 03:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#116364, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 0

With an oil leak that bad, I wonder if your oil filter seal is messed up and the pressure at that seal sent oil to the axle, which then flung it out all over.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TheRedBarrenMar-05-08 03:19 PM
61 posts,
#116365, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by ez
With an oil leak that bad, I wonder if your oil filter seal is messed up and the pressure at that seal sent oil to the axle, which then flung it out all over.

The filter is nice and tight. The leak is coming from where the engine/trans meet... and leaking on top of the CV that goers to the passenger wheel.

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

TheRedBarrenMar-05-08 03:17 PM
61 posts,
#116366, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 0

More pics.

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

foggy45Mar-05-08 03:19 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#116367, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 0

oil filter tight?
Crank position sensor loose?

it is just low on the block or could it be from up on the head? look down by the passenger side of the intake manifold

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

ezMar-05-08 03:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#116368, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-05-08 03:25 PM by ez

Go into chat

EDIT: chat is fubar'd for me- "Warning: session_start(): The session id contains invalid characters, valid characters are only a-z, A-Z and 0-9 in /home/dino2gnt/public_html/Application.php on line 10" WTF

TheRedBarrenMar-05-08 03:23 PM
61 posts,
#116369, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by foggy45
oil filter tight? Crank position sensor loose? it is just low on the block or could it be from up on the head? look down by the passenger side of the intake manifold

Everything looks tight.. It is on the lower portion of the block, driver side.

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

ezMar-05-08 03:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#116370, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 6

hmmm even if that was a HUGE rearmain seal leak, I don't think it would slip between the block and tranny on the rear of the block like that. Usually it leaks a little from around the rubber plug where the clutch line enters the front of the tranny. Do you notice any oil there?

TheRedBarrenMar-05-08 03:30 PM
61 posts,
#116371, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 7

None ; /

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-06-08 02:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#116372, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 8

Could be the rear main. if you remove the lower trans cover, is there a bunch of oil in there?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-06-08 04:42 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#116373, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 9

Clean it off with engine degreaser in your driveway then start it up and watch for the leak. Why sit and guess at it?

TheRedBarrenMar-06-08 10:00 AM
61 posts,
#116374, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Clean it off with engine degreaser in your driveway then start it up and watch for the leak. Why sit and guess at it?

I was thinking that maybe somebody else has had this problem and could chime in. But where is the rear main seal located? And how could it be leaking on the CV joint

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-06-08 10:09 AM
8331 posts,
#116375, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 11
Mar-06-08 10:10 AM by Star Turbo Talon

Everyone has had this problem. Our headgaskets are known to leak if they are not the MLS style gasket. Do you really want to replace a headgasket if you dont need to?

I have seen another members car that leaked oil like that. His solution was to replace the motor since it had a giant hole in the back of it. That must be your problem right? My point is, your car is not someone elses car and when you take the wrong advise its your money and time your wasting. So quite being lazy and expecting everyone else to just present the answer to you and clean the damn thing off and check for the leak.

You want the answer.....its been given to you.

It can leak anywhere the wind will take it when you drive 40 miles an hour down the road!

TheRedBarrenMar-06-08 11:28 AM
61 posts,
#116376, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 12

Well guys I investigated it further today and it is the oil pressure sensor. I unplugged it, started her up; and oil just pours out of where the plug in harness goes into on the end of it!

Everyone has had this problem. Our headgaskets are known to leak if they are not the MLS style gasket. Do you really want to replace a headgasket if you dont need to? I have seen another members car that leaked oil like that. His solution was to replace the motor since it had a giant hole in the back of it. That must be your problem right? My point is, your car is not someone elses car and when you take the wrong advise its your money and time your wasting. So quite being lazy and expecting everyone else to just present the answer to you and clean the damn thing off and check for the leak. You want the answer.....its been given to you. It can leak anywhere the wind will take it when you drive 40 miles an hour down the road!

I knew it was not the HG, as it had been replaced with a MLS 10,xxx miles ago, and I had just gotten done doing a compression test the day before this happened. I was not being lazy; simply looking for advise on where to look etc. I was expecting to find the solution myself and have the information presented here in this thread to help someone in the future.

Thank you for the help everyone.

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-06-08 12:37 PM
8331 posts,
#116377, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 14

You have a semi rare block. See the 1/8npt plug next to the knock sensor? That plugs to oil galley, you can remove that plug to install an oil feed for a turbo or gauge ect. Only block i saw that in was a 95 i parted out years ago.

TheRedBarrenMar-06-08 12:50 PM
61 posts,
#116378, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 15

I was wondering about that, thanks for the info! I may just use that for my turbo feed.. if my line is long enough.

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-07-08 03:39 AM
8331 posts,
#116379, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 16

It will be tricky to get out. I took a cheap 1/4 extension and ground the male end down till it fit. the plug is a square drive but its smaller than 1/4"

Terry

TeamDR1665Mar-07-08 04:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#116380, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"

You have a semi rare block. See the 1/8npt plug next to the knock sensor? That plugs to oil galley, you can remove that plug to install an oil feed for a turbo or gauge ect. Only block i saw that in was a 95 i parted out years ago.

Interesting. I was just painting the built block from Daisy last night and noticed I have the same. Only mine has a tidy little bolt in there. I was surprised I hadn't noticed it before. Pretty sure I rebuilt the original block (97), since the first rebuild (95) lost that wrist pin lock. Then again, I did buy the car new in September of 96, so perhaps it's a 95-96 throwback? If you don't have it on your 97-98...

Just a thought.

I think it's odd that the OPSU would be losing oil through the connector, though. It's still my first suspect, since a rear main leaking that badly would probably result in the clutch slippage Erik mentioned. Either way, I would drop that lower access panel and inspect the inside of the bellhousing to be sure. Wouldn't hurt to throw a plug in that OPSU location, clean the backside, and fire it up to see if it's fixed.

Good luck.

RoninEclipse2GMar-07-08 07:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#116381, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by DR1665
Just a thought. I think it's odd that the OPSU would be losing oil through the connector, though. It's still my first suspect, since a rear main leaking that badly would probably result in the clutch slippage Erik mentioned. Either way, I would drop that lower access panel and inspect the inside of the bellhousing to be sure. Wouldn't hurt to throw a plug in that OPSU location, clean the backside, and fire it up to see if it's fixed. Good luck.

it's a bit uncommon for our cars but jeep 4.0 6cyl's have this problem all the time. I've seen a thin stream of oil shoot 8' out the side of the block through that sensor on a jeep after the harness was removed. Come to think of it, the jeep OPSU and the 2GNT OPSU look kinda similar...

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-10-08 02:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#116382, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"

interesting. I have / had that on both my original '95 block, and on my '97 2.4L block - but it went into the water jacket, not the oil galley.

I always assumed it was for a the "block warmer" accessory that was an option on the 2GNT (per my owner's manual).

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-10-08 05:21 AM
8331 posts,
#116383, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 23

they have that plug too.

ezMar-06-08 10:11 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#116384, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 11

rear main seal is at the end of the block, around the crank. It's between the block and the tranny.

I don't see how you could have lost that much oil through that so quickly, and have it go *Between* the block and the trans there, and at the same time not have a slipping clutch on your way back home.

2GeclipseRSMar-09-08 12:12 PM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#116385, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by ez
rear main seal is at the end of the block, around the crank. It's between the block and the tranny. I don't see how you could have lost that much oil through that so quickly, and have it go *Between* the block and the trans there, and at the same time not have a slipping clutch on your way back home.

My thoughts exactly.

I suffer from a leaky rear main. It's not terrible but i did have a good bit of oil in the bellhousing of my f-ed tranny. The starter plate was covered in oil. It's probably been leaking since i purchased the car. No biggy. 1 hour to pull the engine, 10 minutes remove the trans, 5 minutes to replace a rear main......3 or so hours to put everything else back together. Why does it always take longer to put shit back together?

C L U T C HMar-09-08 05:35 AM
Member since Feb 19th 2007
79 posts,
#116386, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 10
Mar-09-08 05:39 AM by C L U T C H

heh so when that sensor breaks it pours trough it

CLUTCH

BoostedEclipseMar-09-08 05:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
283 posts,
#116387, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 20

Yep, when my sensor went bad, oil was pouring out of the sensor.

- 98 Eclipse rs turbo

Joecruz45Sep-12-13 05:56 AM
Member since Sep 12th 2013
2 posts,
#138128, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 22

I have a 1995 eclipse gs and mine does the same thing and now I have to pull motor to change rear main seal

biteback1000Sep-30-13 08:49 PM
Member since Oct 26th 2006
25 posts,
#138150, "RE: EXTREMELY Bad Oil Leak need help!! ASAP"
In response to Reply # 25

you can also do the timing belt and everything since the engine is out

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #116363 Previous topic | Next topic