Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #112724
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Collective 2.4L Swap Information" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Previous topic | Next topic
GSGoinFastApr-04-06 06:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#112724, "Collective 2.4L Swap Information"

Well lately I have been researching the beloved 2.4 swap, and finding all sorts of great information all around this site. But I have noticed, there is really not a single condensed thread or writeup with all the information needed to perform this swap. I keep reading that every person has a different way of doing it, and each way works, depending on the parts people use. So I figured we could try to get everyone that has done it so far give fairly detailed explanations of all that went into this swap to help all people that are currently planning on the 2.4 swap or people who will do it in the future.

So far I have found this(correct me if I'm wrong):

- Block from Cloud cars: Stratus, Cirrus, Sebring,(years?)
- Remove balance shafts, plug oil holes
- Rotate cam sensor 90*(advanced or retard?)
- rewire the injectors moving 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, and 4-1.
- must swap wires 1 and 3 running to coil.
- modified pt cruiser p/s bracket
- custom passanger side motor mount
- Moddified Oil Pan (2001 Dodge Stratus oil pan works well?)
- custom downpipe
- Time head like 2.0
- Can use SRT4 pistons and rods for a boost capable engine

I'm still unclear on:

- Which oil pump and what modifications are needed?
- What cooling modifications are needed
- What turbo8u is saying half the time(dank? )

I hope this thread will grab the attention of the swappers and help all future swappers and make attaining information on it easier. Thanks in advance

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15
alain95i4Apr-14-06 05:42 PM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#112775, "RE: Collective 2.4L Swap Information"
In response to Reply # 50

Originally posted by eclpsmoneypit95
General question: On the chrysler parts direct site, can the pistons be ordered in oversize?

AFAIK the OEM 2.4 pistons, either NA or turbo, are only available in standard bore

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

2point4Apr-17-06 03:23 PM
Member since Jun 16th 2004
406 posts,
#112776, "RE: Collective 2.4L Swap Information"
In response to Reply # 48

Keep us updated on that, will ya? Be sure to add anything to this thread about fabbing parts etc.

all of my info/pics ( & drama!! ) from the first block are in the advanced section thread. don't run stock injectors with the 2.4 block!! i was convinced by another member, who shall remain nameless at this time, that the stock injectors will supply enough fuel to run the swap n/a. HELL MUTHAFUCKIN NO!! i thought at first that the oil suction tube was mashed against the bottom of the oil pan but that was not the case. i ran the bitch lean and the piston separated at the wrist pin. no fun. lesson learned. round two!! pm me with any questions. laaaate

eclpsmoneypit95Apr-17-06 03:52 PM
Member since Mar 09th 2005
371 posts,
#112777, "RE: Collective 2.4L Swap Information"
In response to Reply # 52
Apr-17-06 03:53 PM by eclpsmoneypit95

Originally posted by 2point4
Keep us updated on that, will ya? Be sure to add anything to this thread about fabbing parts etc. all of my info/pics ( & drama!! ) from the first block are in the advanced section thread. don't run stock injectors with the 2.4 block!! i was convinced by another member, who shall remain nameless at this time, that the stock injectors will supply enough fuel to run the swap n/a. HELL MUTHAFUCKIN NO!! i thought at first that the oil suction tube was mashed against the bottom of the oil pan but that was not the case. i ran the bitch lean and the piston separated at the wrist pin. no fun. lesson learned. round two!! pm me with any questions. laaaate

Ouch. The 26# inj. should be used for n/a, correct? Also, I read a few threads about modifying the injector harness (4 to 1, 1 to 2, etc.) but the swap has worked without having to do this step (cough, Dino, cough). Anybody want to elaborate? Just to let everybody know, the 2.4 swap might actually turn into this summer's project.

That blue car got me boobies once

GSGoinFastApr-17-06 04:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#112778, "RE: Collective 2.4L Swap Information"
In response to Reply # 53

Originally posted by 2point4 Keep us updated on that, will ya? Be sure to add anything to this thread about fabbing parts etc. all of my info/pics ( & drama!! ) from the first block are in the advanced section thread. don't run stock injectors with the 2.4 block!! i was convinced by another member, who shall remain nameless at this time, that the stock injectors will supply enough fuel to run the swap n/a. HELL MUTHAFUCKIN NO!! i thought at first that the oil suction tube was mashed against the bottom of the oil pan but that was not the case. i ran the bitch lean and the piston separated at the wrist pin. no fun. lesson learned. round two!! pm me with any questions. laaaate
Ouch. The 26# inj. should be used for n/a, correct? Also, I read a few threads about modifying the injector harness (4 to 1, 1 to 2, etc.) but the swap has worked without having to do this step (cough, Dino, cough). Anybody want to elaborate? Just to let everybody know, the 2.4 swap might actually turn into this summer's project.

If you use a megasquirt, you don't need to re-wire anything.

Well, I got my 2.4L block and brought it down to school with me. 2 of the crank bearings were pretty chewed up, but the crankshaft seems in good shape. I'm gonna have my Engines teacher inspect it but he wasn't at class today. Should be a fun little puzzle to put together, none of the bolts were labeled or remotely in the right spots, just one big pile. Oh well, if you want I'll post pics.

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

eclpsmoneypit95Apr-17-06 04:45 PM
371 posts,
#112779, "RE: Collective 2.4L Swap Information"
In response to Reply # 54

hmmm. megasquirt does sound like a good idea and the price cant be beat. Maybe I will look into that. If all goes well, I'll start shopping for a block first and worry about an engine management system later on down the road, which is why I needed some info on the injector harness rewire. Also, if you want to post pics you can. One thing that you could do that would be pretty neat is when you pull your 2.0, put the two shortblocks side by side and snap some comparison shots.

alain95i4Apr-18-06 03:57 AM
794 posts,
#112780, "RE: Collective 2.4L Swap Information"
In response to Reply # 55

I'm currently running accel #24 injectors with the stock fuel pressure I saw a 200-250 EGT drop whenj I switched from stock 2.0 injectors to those ones

Alain

eclpsmoneypit95Apr-18-06 04:05 AM
371 posts,
#112781, "RE: Collective 2.4L Swap Information"
In response to Reply # 56

Originally posted by alain95i4
I'm currently running accel #24 injectors with the stock fuel pressure I saw a 200-250 EGT drop whenj I switched from stock 2.0 injectors to those ones Alain

Wow. That's the exact answer I was looking for. Thanks again Alain. Would you like to elaborate on the subject of injector harness modifications for those of us who will be temporarily using the stock computer?

GSGoinFastApr-18-06 05:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#112782, "RE: Collective 2.4L Swap Information"
In response to Reply # 57
Apr-18-06 05:08 AM by GSGoinFast

Originally posted by alain95i4 I'm currently running accel #24 injectors with the stock fuel pressure I saw a 200-250 EGT drop whenj I switched from stock 2.0 injectors to those ones Alain
Wow. That's the exact answer I was looking for. Thanks again Alain. Would you like to elaborate on the subject of injector harness modifications for those of us who will be temporarily using the stock computer?

you must re-wire the injectors so that 1 goes to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 and 4 to 1. This is because the crank sensor on the 2.4 is on a different place then the 2.0, and by rewireing the injectors and plug wires and rotating the cam magnet, the ecu can read the crank sensor and still send signals out like its a 2.0 but it will do everything correctly for the 2.4

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

alain95i4Apr-18-06 08:06 AM
794 posts,
#112783, "RE: Collective 2.4L Swap Information"
In response to Reply # 58

rewiring is easy to do on our cars

at the fuel rail you have a big connector which connect the 4 injectors to the main harness

you have 5 wires 1 is the common incomming 12v the 4 others are the injectors driver
near the big plug cut the 4 wires and soldered them back with heat shrink
carefull you have to see it from the computer point of view because you could do a mistake and do 1 on 4 , 4 on 3 etc

so wire from computer channel 1 soldered to wire going to injector 2
wire from computer channel 2 soldered to wire going to injector 3
wire from computer channel 3 soldered to wire going to injector 4
wire from computer channel 4 soldered to wire going to injector 1

recap of why we have to do this
2.0 either 420a or neon are timmed on cylinder 1
2.4 have balancing shaft because of that they put the crank sensor on cylinder 2 the cam sensor have the magnet at a different angle and the 2.4 computer knows all that but US we need to make our computer think that cylinder 2 is cylinder 1 for fire and fuel
1/2 turn of crank = 1/4 turn of cam
so if the crank is 180 off we turn the cam sensor magnet 90 degres off clockwise and they are now in sync
the computer is happy and want to send fuel and fire on cylinder 1 and 4 but we need to send that to cylinder 2 and 3
that the job of the injector and coil pack rewiring

Alain

eclpsmoneypit95Apr-18-06 09:36 AM
371 posts,
#112784, "RE: Collective 2.4L Swap Information"
In response to Reply # 59

Thank you for that info. That was a little easier to understand than some of the threads posted in the past. Alain, how long did it take you to do your swap? More specifically, from start to finish.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #112724 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Previous topic | Next topic