Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #1113
View in linear mode

Subject: "Neon ECU............." Previous topic | Next topic
Armond30Apr-24-01 10:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
161 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1113, "Neon ECU............."

My ecu is out of my car now, and I wsa kinda curious today about ho our ecu looks compaired to the neon's ecu. So i went to howell's site and looked at the ecu for the neon. after looking at it closely for a few minutes......it's in the same case as ours (I may be slow, But i just realized this). This makes me curious......if all the pin locations are in teh same place for the neon's as ours are, we could probably use the afx computers for the neon (and get rid of that rev limiter). first question. does the neon have a speed governor? second, is that also taken out with the howell ecu? also, has anybody sucessfully tried this? I am sure some of the guys around town would be willing to try it out if all the ecu pins match up, and that is the main question.....do they? I have the avenger electrical service manual with all the ecu mfi pin locations in it, and I am willing to spend the time to check all fo them to see if the neon pins match up.......just need a neon mfi schematic. Anybody want to persue this?

Bring it on............

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Neon ECU............., DAVE_FL (Guest), Apr-24-01 11:12 AM, #1
RE: Neon ECU............., HadesOmega, Apr-24-01 05:28 PM, #2
RE: Neon ECU............., RS_Guy, Apr-24-01 09:21 PM, #3
RE: Neon ECU............., js99rs, Apr-25-01 02:20 AM, #4
      RE: Neon ECU............., Junoon, Apr-25-01 05:50 AM, #5
RE: Neon ECU............., TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-25-01 08:17 AM, #6
RE: Neon ECU............., js99rs, Apr-25-01 09:10 AM, #7

DAVE_FL (Guest)Apr-24-01 11:12 AM

#1114, "RE: Neon ECU............."
In response to Reply # 0

I made a post about this a few weeks ago and it turns out that it wont work in our cars. Gary said that AFX is looking into making one for us that would add 17hp. It also puts the limiter up to 8100rpm. There will be a turbo and a nonturbo version.

DAVE_FL
97GS
AEM CAI
AFX PULLEY
AFX solid motor mount
Magnaflow exhaust
Sparkco 9mm wires
Eibach Pro Kit
tokico shocks
Altezzas
A Badass sound system
Indiglows,neons,and all that good stuff...hehe

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

HadesOmegaApr-24-01 05:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1115, "RE: Neon ECU............."
In response to Reply # 1

wow 8100! Can the 420A withstand that? I'll definately buy one if it can safely go 8100!

95 Mitsu Eclipse RS
AFX Pulley | Performance Muffler | Cold Air Intake | KYB AGX Shox | Skunk2 Coilovers | and 1 highly skilled driver |

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

RS_GuyApr-24-01 09:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
#1116, "RE: Neon ECU............."
In response to Reply # 0

Actually, MOPAR also make a "Race" Neon ECU that supposedly had much more vicious fuel & ignition maps too. Two years ago, I started to look into it, and our main conclusion was that YES it would work, just you would have to completely custom wire it up, and maybe keep the stock ECU wired in parallel for some additional stuff...(not sure if we need it though).

As for Max RPM, try downshifting from 5th into 2nd at about 110mph.... I hit *at least* 9500rpm... Of course I was fast and slammed the clutch in instantly. The car still worked fine of course after that little *incident*

Guy
RS_Guy

I might actually be *driving* my car soon!
Its only been 6 LONG months...

Damn the waiting..... It Sucks!

-----
www.GTuned.com

js99rsApr-25-01 02:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
332 posts,
#1117, "RE: Neon ECU............."
In response to Reply # 3

8100 rpm would probably kill an auto huh? wonder if they will make one for autos different

aem cai
pacesetter headers
gs-t exhaust
red altezzas
rims, tires, and a bunch of other little stuff....that list is way too short....more will come!

-jason

JunoonApr-25-01 05:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
122 posts,
#1118, "RE: Neon ECU............."
In response to Reply # 4

whoaa!! 8100rpm?? *drrooool* I'd buy two of those..

which should be next? a performance muffler? or a set of springs/coilovers???

Junoon
97-RS
automotive/industrial design student
Michigan

TeamMichael_97RSApr-25-01 08:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1119, "RE: Neon ECU............."
In response to Reply # 0

A guy a while back was here installing an S-AFC on a Neon and he said the pin set up was the same on the ECU.

But this doesn't guarantee that it will work. The ECU is not the only computer in our car. Just because the pin outs are the same doesn;t mean the opther computers will understand the Neon ECU. The sensor set up isn't neccessarily the same and give off the same readings. Even within the Neons there are several different models of AF?X depending on year and transmission. So if Gary says that it won't work I'm guessing it won't work. BUt if you still want to pursue this e-mail me, I can see if I can find the pin set up in My 95 Neon manual and fax it to you.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga Website: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI w/ K&N Breather filters, 55mm TB, FU/RU/RL STBs, Red silicone hose kit, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Bosch Rapidfire Plugs

And in my Room: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, GS-T Muffler, Intake manifold 4 porting, Energy Suspension Motor Mount Inserts. RRE FL Tie Bar, TSW Blade 17x7.5 (need tires)

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

js99rsApr-25-01 09:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
332 posts,
#1120, "RE: Neon ECU............."
In response to Reply # 6

anyone know what the rev limit/shift points are for the auto neon ecu. it cant be 8100...can it?

aem cai
pacesetter headers
gs-t exhaust
red altezzas
rims, tires, and a bunch of other little stuff....that list is way too short....more will come!

-jason

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #1113 Previous topic | Next topic