Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #110670
View in linear mode

Subject: "To everyone who has a Talon........" Previous topic | Next topic
WillJan-10-01 11:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
153 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#110670, "To everyone who has a Talon........"

What made you bought a Talon instead of an Eclipse? Are they cheaper or what? I know they are the same car but I think the Eclipse looks a lil better especially the rear. Just my opinion though. Pls don't take this the wrong way I'm not trying to start a war here.

Will
99 Black GS Sport

----------
Will
99 GS - Sold
05 G35C
2GNT Member #51

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, Tom95Esi, Jan-10-01 01:36 PM, #1
RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, TeamJasonESi_T, Jan-10-01 03:14 PM, #2
RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, mike_d, Jan-10-01 03:25 PM, #3
RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, Team96NOS_Eclipse, Jan-10-01 03:33 PM, #4
RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, TeamStan2gnt, Jan-10-01 03:42 PM, #5
RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, Skrilla, Jan-10-01 05:30 PM, #6
RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, DSMLVR, Jan-10-01 11:08 PM, #7
      RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, jZa, Jan-11-01 02:34 PM, #8
RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, jZa, Jan-11-01 02:36 PM, #9
RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, Skrilla, Jan-11-01 03:55 PM, #10
RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, DSMLVR, Jan-11-01 11:11 PM, #11
      RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, js99rs, Jan-13-01 05:33 PM, #12
           RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, Team96NOS_Eclipse, Jan-13-01 06:24 PM, #13
                RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, jZa, Jan-14-01 07:32 AM, #14
                     RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, js99rs, Jan-15-01 04:41 PM, #15
                          RE: To everyone who has a Talon........, jZa, Jan-16-01 10:26 AM, #16

Tom95EsiJan-10-01 01:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
70 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#110671, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 0

I knew they were the same car, but I did not know about the tails until after I bought it. I just decided I liked the Eclipse/Talon, and bought actually the first one we looked at!! It just happened to be a Talon. I don't think they are any cheaper or anything. I like the way my tails look now, if I can ever get the picture to work I'll post a pic of them.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamJasonESi_TJan-10-01 03:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#110672, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 0

Good question....

When I first went looking for this car, I had my eyes set on an eclipse in a very big way. A big thing that I wanted with an eclipse was to have a GS model with the 16" rims. I don't want to pick on any RS owners, but those damn 14" rims were not gonna happen for me. After speaking with the Mitsu dealers and hearing their best offer on the GS (around 18k I think), I decided to go on to the Eagle dealers.

I didn't really like the 95-96 talon looks too much, but I was willing to take a look at least. Then I saw a beautiful 98 red talon in the showroom. Well, it was over. I saw that huge "ring of saturn" like-wing in the back and the extremely aggressive front fascia and I immediately fell in love. That red one was the only one they had(it was an auto and it was red ), so I had to order what I wanted. About 2 weeks later, I had sent to me a drop-dead gorgeous shiny black beast with 16" rims and a rare look that I don't see at all around town.I got this baby in the late summer of 98 for about 15300 that included a 2k rebate since they were trying to get rid of the Talons and thus it was simply a steal.

If I had it to do all over and they both cost the same, I would still pick my talon without even having to think. I realize that it's all personal choice, and I simply love the eclipses and their look, but in my eyes, the 97-98 Talon's agressive features are unequalled. Once I added the 95-96 Side skirts and the 97-98 AWD 17" rims, I really liked the look. Both stock, yet rare. (I'll be going with some aftermarket rims as soon as I can afford em' but all my friends love these)

But even out-of-the-box, I love these looks. My ONLY problem with the eclipse is that they are so popular. People pretty much are really familiar with the car. I don't want to call it "played out" b/c it's still not as rampant as a mustang or a honduh, but it's getting pretty darn close. My talon still gets "what the hell kinda car is that?" look. I love that look!

Oh yeah, one nice thing about my rear end. It doesn't have as much of a restricting cut-out for an exhaust(it really doesn't have any cut-out) which is allowing me to get something different. (I'll post some pics later once it's on) No doubt, the eclipse is beautiful, but my Talon is on a far different level in my own eyes. But that's the wonderful thing about it...

...the eye of the beholder.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

mike_dJan-10-01 03:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
718 posts,
#110673, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 2

i bought a 95 esi simply because in canada thats all we have. we don't get any mitsu at all so what jason was saying is the total opposite in canada. when ever i see an eclipse especially the 97-99 models my jaw just droppes. also i like the 95-96 talon better than the eclipse but the 97-99 is my all out favorite. oh and i bought an esi because i couldnt afford the insurance on an awd but, im glad i got the esi now =)

95 Talon ESi-T

Team96NOS_EclipseJan-10-01 03:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
294 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#110674, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 2

The funny thing about that is i've had two different people ask me " your the one that drives that red Talon right?" and then I have to correct them "it's an Eclipse". The honduh guys at my wifes work even thinks its a Talon even though she drives one.

Ray
96 Eclipse Base Model
Best 14.6@93 w/60 shot

1997 Eclipse RS
1991 Eclipse GSX
1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1989 Dodge Daytona 2.5 turbo
(tinker car)
1996 Eclipse base model RIP

TeamStan2gntJan-10-01 03:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#110675, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 0

In 95 the Esi (then base model) came standard with rear disc and center console lid ect. for the same price as the rs. Power windows weren't avialable on the rs. The only way to get those things from an eclipse was to get a GS which around here in 95 were priced as high as GST (which they were trying to get rid of. I guess GS were outselling). I new I'd be getting wheels ect so the exterior upgrades the GS had to offer weren't a sale factor for me. In 96 that all changed (base talon was no longer the esi, rear disc gone and interior upgrades gone, otional 16" wheels added to esi). So basically the talon had more of what I needed for less. I think the Eclipse looks better too (hence the 97' front end on my car) but not enough to make a difference of which one to buy. Now I feel like I have altezzas or japanese tails (amber turn signals) due to the lack of talons I see.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

SkrillaJan-10-01 05:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#110676, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 0

For me it was 2 things. I was looking for an inexpensive performance car I could upgrade, and one that was beautiful. I had been to my local autocenter which is Irvine. I went to Toyota and saw an alright looking and unexciting Celica GT with the 2.2L engine then visited Honda for a VTEC Prelude. I started to get a little bored and was just going to settle after visiting the Mitsubishi. I saw an Eclipse and found these great ergonomics and swooping center console, similar to the cockpit of the Supra and even took it for a spin, but it was a '96 with about 15,000 miles and costs $15,000 and was in good shape but I wasn't very pleased with the front end. I've seen DSMs before but wasn't that familiar. I've seen this VERY good looking one around the block from where I was living and I mean it was BAD ASS. It was lowered on 17" rims with this deep red color and this awesome front end with a black top, and I was picturing all this and trying to explain what I wanted, but the Saleman had no idea what I meant. I told the salesman that FOR SURE I was buying a car that day and if he found me THE car, then I would be all over it. So he had just about run out of ideas and said let me call the other Lew Web Dealerships for what I think you might be interested in. It turned out that the Nissan Sales Lot had just brought in a Car So we drove over to the otherside of the Autocenter. We got there and walked to the back where some of their parking lot attendants we doing this final wipe down off this freshly cleaned car. It was '98 and the Car was a '97 Eagle Talon. We walked to it and he said,
"Boy, I think this is the One"
I turned my head to look at what he was talking about and there sat a Mint condition Dark Red Talon, with the Black Top(of course they all have them) I saw on that car that lived around the corner fron me, and some lightly tinted windows. The rear lights grabbed me pretty good and I imagined it lowered on some new rims. I saw the rear 1st and worked my way around to the front of it. Damn it was just gorgeous, I thought. I got in and the seats felt perfect and Sony stereo sounded decent (although it would soon be replaced). I think it was love at 1st sight. Best of all it was 1 year newer than the one I test dorve and was about $3000 less. I couldn't say no. Obviously everyone has there own opinion but I think a lowered Talon with it's aggressive stock 97+ front end, lowered a couple of inches is one of the best looking cars around.

...and here I am toda

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

DSMLVRJan-10-01 11:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
58 posts,
#110677, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 6

I have a 95 Talon ESi. I love my car. I like the looks of the Eclipse also but I like the rear end of the Talon better. I looked at both and found the same thing in October of 94. The RS and the ESi were SUPPOSED to be comparable cars ,BUT they were not. The ESi had so much more equipment (4 wheel Disc, console cover,etc) that it was the better buy. I always get asked " What kind of car is that " , even to this day.

jZaJan-11-01 02:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#110678, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 7

i got an eclipse due to the fact that talons don't come in the color below. i love the look of the 97+ talons though although i couldn't afford one at the time for the front end and the spoiler, i'm thinking of getting 97 talon front end now actually

javi d
vroom n' boom
bone-stock dsm performance

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

jZaJan-11-01 02:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#110679, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 0

oh yeah, i asked this in another thread but waht the heck... does the talon come w/ the front licence plate to the side or do all you people put it to teh side like that?

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

SkrillaJan-11-01 03:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#110680, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 9

I got my car used from a state that doesn't require front plates so I don't a have one in the front. If I ever get sited for it I'll probably sit in the dash. My front end looks too good to ruin for now thoug

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

DSMLVRJan-11-01 11:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
58 posts,
#110681, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 9

>oh yeah, i asked this in
>another thread but waht the
>heck... does the talon come
>w/ the front licence plate
>to the side or do
>all you people put it
>to teh side like that?
>

Some brainstorming engineer (probably drives a minivan) designed it that way. I guess so it will not cover the Eagle on the nose. I have a 95 and I flipped my plate down. I HATE having a plate on the front, but that is the way I got around the thing sticking up in front.

js99rsJan-13-01 05:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
332 posts,
#110682, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 11

i got an eclipse but since you guys brought it up i do kind of get sick of bum having one...especially when they dont take care of them...it just makes us all look bad. i like the looks of the newer talons alot. there is a beautiful black tsi where i go to school and every time i see it i have to stare. it seems like all the people who have talons take great care of them which is something i cant say for eclipses. having that big mouth on my car does come in handy for the plate tho. u cant even tell its there. i got it inspected like that so the pigs better not bother me

-jason

Team96NOS_EclipseJan-13-01 06:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
294 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#110683, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 12

LAST EDITED ON 13-Jan-01 AT 11:38 PM (PST)

He I guess that brainless engineer took 2 years to figure out the licence plate covered up the Eagle symbol lol well not quite cover it but enough to make it look dumb . Our 95 Talon has it smack in the center.

Michelle

96 Eclipse Base Model
Best 14.6@93 w/60 shot

1997 Eclipse RS
1991 Eclipse GSX
1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1989 Dodge Daytona 2.5 turbo
(tinker car)
1996 Eclipse base model RIP

jZaJan-14-01 07:32 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#110684, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 13

DSMLVR, i don't know what the heck you mean
anyways, i went fiddling down there on my eclise and i think it has holes to put it on either side or on the center. so i'll be moving it which will be a pita, but oh well. i don't need one for the lis num, but i like having some kinda graphic up there

javi d
vroom n' boom

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

js99rsJan-15-01 04:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
332 posts,
#110685, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 14

LAST EDITED ON 15-Jan-01 AT 09:42 PM (PST)

hey, i cant tell from your pic(its kinda small) but if you have a 97-99 its easy to rig the plate in the air dam. it looks alot better there in my opinion. it keeps the smooth lines on the nose

-jason

jZaJan-16-01 10:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#110686, "RE: To everyone who has a Talon........"
In response to Reply # 15

its a 95, i made the pic that size to resemble a postage stamp, since one day it'll be famous . nah, actually its small to save bandwith i guess, i'll get a bigger one but i got new wheels so..

javi d
vroom n' boom

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #110670 Previous topic | Next topic