Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #1105
View in linear mode

Subject: "Non-Turbo Idle/Me retarded" Previous topic | Next topic
jltucsonApr-24-01 07:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
39 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1105, "Non-Turbo Idle/Me retarded"

Look, I'm not a car person. I know nothing. I'm a guy but I've never gotten into fishing threw an engine. I replace my own oil sometimes and change my spark plugs every month, but thats where my knowledge stops.

I bought a '95 ESI non turbo Talon a month ago. It has developed an idling problem that has become non stop. It idles from 900-500-900 and back and forth and alot of times will die when it can't sputter up from 500 again.

To be honest, I don't mind idle surge. It doesn't bother me. But I'd rather have it happen from 1200-1600rpm than 500-900rpm so it doesn't stall.

I have the Chilton's manual but thats it, no owners manual. I don't even understand it.....

How can I fix the idle surging? I have a non turbo 95 so I don't think I have a BISS screw. I don't have testing equipment. What exactly can I do to fix this or at least raise the idle surge range?

Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Teameclipse804Apr-24-01 07:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1106, "RE: Non-Turbo Idle/Me retarded"
In response to Reply # 0

Try adjusting the position that the throttle plate rests to allow your idle controller to have more range to adjust. To do this, look at your throttle plate, which is what moves when you hit the gas in the engine bay. The plate rests on a small stop. That stop can be adjusted using a Torx T20 size socket, so you want to turn it up. You turn it so the stop will stick out more, and the throttle plate will rest on the stop at idle. Just keep turning it up until your idle stays relatively steady, but no more than 5 or 6 turns.

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

magnusApr-24-01 07:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
229 posts,
#1107, "RE: Non-Turbo Idle/Me retarded"
In response to Reply # 1

from a dead stop keep your car ideling around 900 to 700 rpm

TeamJasonESi_TApr-24-01 08:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#1108, "RE: Non-Turbo Idle/Me retarded"
In response to Reply # 2

Check your vacuum. Could be your EGR valve (blockage or leakage). Get a Chiltons and check it out. (Better yet, get a factory service manual from ebay)

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)/Custom FMIC

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

TeamMichael_97RSApr-24-01 08:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1109, "RE: Non-Turbo Idle/Me retarded"
In response to Reply # 0

Check your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and ISC (Idle Speed Controller) There should be the testing of these sensors in the Chiltons. If either are bad your idle will be off.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga Website: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI w/ K&N Breather filters, 55mm TB, FU/RU/RL STBs, Red silicone hose kit, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Bosch Rapidfire Plugs

And in my Room: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, GS-T Muffler, Intake manifold 4 porting, Energy Suspension Motor Mount Inserts. RRE FL Tie Bar, TSW Blade 17x7.5 (need tires)

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #1105 Previous topic | Next topic