Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #105183
View in linear mode

Subject: "running 8:1" Previous topic | Next topic
scorpo86Sep-12-07 04:32 PM
Member since Nov 08th 2006
282 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105183, "running 8:1"
Jul-13-07 12:53 PM by scorpo86

im working on a build right now and i'll be putting on a turbo later(the hahn big 20g, i hope). i cant afford the turbo so i'm just going to go with crower rods and 8:1 je pistons, just to get it running. the Question is that can i drive the car with 8:1 com without a turbo.
what is better 9:6:1 or 8:1 for running the best boost and what could be the max on both of them.
thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: running 8:1, RS-T, Jul-13-07 02:25 PM, #1
RE: running 8:1, DirtMegirt, Jul-13-07 03:34 PM, #2
RE: running 8:1, scorpo86, Jul-13-07 06:54 PM, #3
      RE: running 8:1, DirtMegirt, Jul-14-07 05:51 AM, #4
           RE: running 8:1, ChloRure, Jul-14-07 08:08 AM, #5
           RE: running 8:1, scorpo86, Jul-21-07 06:11 AM, #6
                RE: running 8:1, chris712vt, Jul-21-07 10:02 AM, #7
           RE: running 8:1, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-23-07 09:58 PM, #8
                RE: running 8:1, cc8balla, Jul-24-07 11:41 AM, #9
RE: running 8:1, scorpo86, Aug-08-07 04:36 PM, #10
RE: running 8:1, RS-T, Aug-08-07 07:58 PM, #11
      RE: running 8:1, raged00, Aug-31-07 04:13 AM, #12
           RE: running 8:1, McFox, Aug-31-07 08:29 AM, #13
                RE: running 8:1, talonesiracing, Aug-31-07 12:54 PM, #14
                RE: running 8:1, raged00, Sep-07-07 06:30 AM, #15
                RE: running 8:1, ModeratorCorbin, Sep-11-07 03:56 PM, #16
                     RE: running 8:1, WickedESi, Sep-11-07 07:14 PM, #17
                     RE: running 8:1, scorpo86, Sep-12-07 04:28 PM, #18

RS-TJul-13-07 02:25 PM
Member since May 29th 2007
67 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105184, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 0

The closer the CR is the more boost you can push. If you want to throw that turbo on your going to want the 8.8:1 pistons.

Weather you can run a turbo with those low CR pistons I'm not sure, I'm actually curious about that myself.

Rebuild In Process

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DirtMegirtJul-13-07 03:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
205 posts,
#105187, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by scorpo86
can i drive the car with 8:1 com without a turbo.

I'm guessing you mean je 8.8:1(or as Howell describes them, 8.6:1) low compression pistons. 9.6:1 is stock comp. ratio. You can run the 8.8's without a turbo, which is exactly what i'm doing now as i'm also preping for turbo. Tap the search engine to find out more, as well as the answers to your other questions.

DirtMegirt
Wiki Contributor

scorpo86Jul-13-07 06:54 PM
282 posts,
#105189, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 2

cool, what rods did you go with, the eagle rods. i want to get them but can they handle anything you throw at them. im trying to go with the crower rods but they are $$$.

DirtMegirtJul-14-07 05:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
205 posts,
#105195, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 3

I went with Eagle. I believe that the consensus on this board is that the Eagle rods will handle pretty much anything you throw at them. You may want to look into other options if you are planning REALLY HIGH horsepower.

DirtMegirt
Wiki Contributor

ChloRureJul-14-07 08:08 AM
Member since May 16th 2006
262 posts,
#105197, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 4

Eagle are enough, can handle around 400hp... just save the money with eagle and put that money in a good fuel management.

scorpo86Jul-21-07 06:11 AM
282 posts,
#105309, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 5

when i put the pistons in will they be ready to go? will i have to do something with the ecu to change the fuel and air cuz the different pistons

chris712vtJul-21-07 10:02 AM
Member since Jul 07th 2006
97 posts,
#105313, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 6
Jul-21-07 10:03 AM by chris712vt

you will be fine. I'm running "8.6" comp JEs with Eagle rods on a stock fuel system and no special tune without any problems.

EDIT: and I am still non-turbo as well.

Chris
95 Talon Esi Turbo

I contributed to the Wiki!
http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Full_Talon_to_Eclipse_Conversion

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-23-07 09:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#105341, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by DirtMegirt
I went with Eagle. I believe that the consensus on this board is that the Eagle rods will handle pretty much anything you throw at them. You may want to look into other options if you are planning REALLY HIGH horsepower.

The consensus is more along the lines of 90% of the people on this board will never make enough power to need more than an Eagle rod. Hell, most of you could get by with stock rods. They don't fail until ~300ish wHP properly tuned.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

cc8ballaJul-24-07 11:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
#105358, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 8

Don't know if it has been clearly said, but yes you can run with 8:8s.

I am right now. It sucks. Im broke.

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

I contributed to the wiki!

happy p'ple

scorpo86Aug-08-07 04:36 PM
282 posts,
#105541, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 0

now i have another Q. how is the 8.6:1? i have been searching and just came up with what people are running. can i run a higher psi and is there a big difference form the 8.6 to the 8.8? does it take longer to spool? thanks guys

RS-TAug-08-07 07:58 PM
Member since May 29th 2007
67 posts,
#105546, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 10

If you are refering to Howell's site about 8.6:1 pistons then ignore that. Howell's are 8.8 and just mistyped.

However generally speaking yes, the closer the ratio the more boost you can run safely. Thats just generally though because there a more factors involving higher boost.

Rebuild In Process

raged00Aug-31-07 04:13 AM
Member since Aug 31st 2007
4 posts,
#105954, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 11

I was thinking of doing the same thing running the 8.8's until i can afford the turbo. I have another question though im going to be doing some top end engine work as well and i was thinking of going with http://www.howellautomotive.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=397 does anyone know if my car will still run with this cam and 8.8's in it until i get a turbo for the car? and can it substain and dmg's if the turbo isnt on the car?

McFoxAug-31-07 08:29 AM
Member since Aug 29th 2007
60 posts,
#105958, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 12

If you plan to go through Howell expected 3-6 months for your cams and horrible customer service.

With upgraded cams your going to have a rough idle. You'll need some sort of tuning software or someway of adjusting your timing.

-Ed

'95 Eclipse RS-T
'91 Laser RS (Sold)

talonesiracingAug-31-07 12:54 PM
Member since Jul 12th 2007
97 posts,
#105963, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 13

if you go with howell just grab them by the balls. I told them I was going to contact the better business bureau and they sent the shit out next day and I got a free underdrive pulley.

raged00Sep-07-07 06:30 AM
Member since Aug 31st 2007
4 posts,
#106077, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 14

:) Howell that bad huh? might check out modern preformance then

ModeratorCorbinSep-11-07 03:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#106143, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by McFox
If you plan to go through Howell expected 3-6 months for your cams and horrible customer service. With upgraded cams your going to have a rough idle. You'll need some sort of tuning software or someway of adjusting your timing.

The Crane 14 cams shown are pretty conservative at idle. You can idle about like stock with 8.8:1 pistons and Crane 14's on a stock ECU. I ran non-turbo with that setup for a month. Howell has a hit-or-miss rep. I have bought from them several times without delivery problems. Others get the complete run around.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
Now with more power and fewer leaks

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

WickedESiSep-11-07 07:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#106144, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 16

Too many people go low compression un-needingly. I would have gone with 9.6:1 JE's if I didn't have to wait 4-6 months to get special ordered, so I went with the off the shelf 8.8:1's. "Basically" the only downside of the higher compression is that you have to be more careful tuning. Sure your boost will be less, but you'll be making more power under the curve.

For pretty much any kind of driving/racing except drag *only*...
high compression + low boost > low compression + high boost

If you drive this car every day you will enjoy it better with decent compression.

A good example the older Hennessy Viper's put out 800 hp at 8 PSI of boost. The new Hennessy Viper Venoms put out 1200 hp at 15 PSI of boost.

This is why I hate when people ask how much boost you run, and don't even care about what kind of motor you're boosting.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

scorpo86Sep-12-07 04:28 PM
282 posts,
#106159, "RE: running 8:1"
In response to Reply # 16

pm sent

same mes
"i have a Q, when putting the rod bearings on do i put lube on both sids of the bearings? or just on the side that touch's the crankshaft"

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #105183 Previous topic | Next topic