Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #103167
View in linear mode

Subject: " Valve Seal Replacement" Previous topic | Next topic
Wes TankFeb-19-07 08:01 AM
Member since Oct 13th 2006
214 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#103167, " Valve Seal Replacement"

First of all let me just say that I am in no way new to dsm's and I am pretty knowledgeable about all of them, I just never post on this site. I am mainly on dsmtuners and mostly on www.widsm.org ... Anyways I own a 90 plymouth laser rs-t and a 95 talon esi which brings me to my question...

So I just bought new valve seals for my talon since its burns oil like mad at idle and I am just wondering how hard it is and what I have to do in order to replace them. I've never done them before, I'm just looking for some helpful info and tips.

I'm assuming I'll need to take the head off so there goes some more money on a new head gasket and ARP hardware and possibly a spacer to lower the compression a tad bit. Any help is appreciated.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Valve Seal Replacement, jack_of_trades, Feb-19-07 08:06 AM, #1
RE: Valve Seal Replacement, Wes Tank, Feb-19-07 01:48 PM, #2
      RE: Valve Seal Replacement, jack_of_trades, Feb-19-07 02:02 PM, #3
           RE: Valve Seal Replacement, HadesOmega, Feb-23-07 09:03 AM, #4
                RE: Valve Seal Replacement, jack_of_trades, Feb-24-07 02:26 PM, #5
                     RE: Valve Seal Replacement, Whodda, Feb-24-07 03:07 PM, #6
                          RE: Valve Seal Replacement, jack_of_trades, Feb-25-07 09:57 AM, #7

jack_of_tradesFeb-19-07 08:06 AM
Member since Oct 30th 2005
217 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#103168, "RE: Valve Seal Replacement"
In response to Reply # 0
Feb-19-07 08:06 AM by jack_of_trades

Simply pull the head, remove the valve springs and the seals slide right off of the top of the valve guides. The seals are the easiest part of the whole operation,lol.

Jamie-
-AUTOMATIC turbo'd 95 Talon ESI@8psi (stock internals)14.0sec=1/4 mile

-2003 Mitsubishi Evo VIII

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Wes TankFeb-19-07 01:48 PM
Member since Oct 13th 2006
214 posts,
#103177, "RE: Valve Seal Replacement"
In response to Reply # 1

Ok thanks for the info. Hopefully it goes as smoothly as you said it should.

jack_of_tradesFeb-19-07 02:02 PM
217 posts,
#103178, "RE: Valve Seal Replacement"
In response to Reply # 2
Feb-19-07 02:03 PM by jack_of_trades

Read up on this if you wanna figure out the best ways to get the springs compressed. Make sure the head on the spring compressor is a 90 degree head, some are at an angle which makes it harder to work with.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=82113&mesg_id=82113&page=&topic_page=2

Jamie-

HadesOmegaFeb-23-07 09:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#103204, "RE: Valve Seal Replacement"
In response to Reply # 3

I just take mine to a cylinder head shop and have em do it for me. But yeah like you said you should take it out. Might as well bring it to a shop so they can check things over while they do it, maybe get a valve job done. If you've been kinda beating on your engine the 420As valves aren't that tough...

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

jack_of_tradesFeb-24-07 02:26 PM
217 posts,
#103216, "RE: Valve Seal Replacement"
In response to Reply # 4

Our stock exhaust valves get pitted REALLY easily.

Jamie-

WhoddaFeb-24-07 03:07 PM
Member since Mar 01st 2004
80 posts,
#103217, "RE: Valve Seal Replacement"
In response to Reply # 5

Are the valve seals the umbrella style and also do the valves have guides (Inserts in the head style) like the say a small block chevy head?

Thanks in advance

98 Talon

jack_of_tradesFeb-25-07 09:57 AM
217 posts,
#103227, "RE: Valve Seal Replacement"
In response to Reply # 6

The head has valve guides insterted into it. The valve seal assembly presses onto the top of the valve guide, then the valve spring sits on top of the valve seal. Heres an exploded view:

http://www.2gnt.com/CAPS/main11/main11sub230.html

part #03440 is the valve seal

Jamie-

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #103167 Previous topic | Next topic