Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #1024
View in linear mode

Subject: "oil in spark plug holes anyone?" Previous topic | Next topic
sleepereclipseApr-23-01 10:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
215 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1024, "oil in spark plug holes anyone?"

installed some iridium plugs and some magnecor wires and their was oil an inch deep in the hole closest to driver side. Didnt even suspect anything like that. Car still drives. I know that oil shouldnt be in there. Does anyone have any ideas?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?, eclipseRS, Apr-23-01 10:17 AM, #1
RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?, John99RS, Apr-23-01 10:43 AM, #2
RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?, taloned_dog, Apr-23-01 11:17 AM, #3
RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?, 99GSBBTurbo, Apr-23-01 12:26 PM, #4
      RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?, TeamJasonESi_T, Apr-23-01 12:39 PM, #5
           RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?, sleepereclipse, Apr-24-01 05:43 AM, #6
RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?, taloned_dog, Apr-24-01 07:25 AM, #7
RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?, osiris9, Apr-24-01 01:36 PM, #8

eclipseRSApr-23-01 10:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
11 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1025, "RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it's the valve cover gaskets.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

John99RSApr-23-01 10:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#1026, "RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, there are little O-ring gaskets that go around each spark plug well. You might want to get a valve cover gasket set and replace the ones you got along with the valve cover gasket. That would fix the problem.

John
AOL IM: John99RS
john99rs@hotmail.com
http://johnseclipse.homestead.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

taloned_dogApr-23-01 11:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
162 posts,
#1027, "RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?"
In response to Reply # 0

yeah VC gaskets i just finished replacing mine around 2pm today u should let the car set for @ 10 to 12 hrs after u do them so the silicon can cure they r not hard to do. for instructions go to http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/cbehnken/vc.html CU

97 Talon ESI N/T
total stock "not for long"

99GSBBTurboApr-23-01 12:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1191 posts,
#1028, "RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?"
In response to Reply # 3

Is it easy to change the VC gasket? Thats the same as the head gasket right? How long did it take you to change yours taloned_dog??

I GOT 3rd AT MY FIRST SHOW!!

Ball Bearing Star Stage II
"Power is nothing without control"

I use to have a White 99 GS Sport with a Star Stage II Ball Bearing T3/T4 turbo...it was fun untill....well those who remember me know Oh Ya...this is what I have now... a 99' GSX...

TeamJasonESi_TApr-23-01 12:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#1029, "RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?"
In response to Reply # 4

LAST EDITED ON 23-Apr-01 AT 05:42 PM (PST)

Nope...the valve cover gasket is a LOT easier to do and a lot closer to the top of your engine than is a headgasket. In other words, they are NOT the same. (kinda glad that Wyatt installed your turbo for ya...eh? )

Look at the engine sort of like a big sandwich. One layer being the valve cover, another being the valve cover gasket, then the head, THEN the head gasket, the lower block...then oil pan gasket,and then oil pan.

Anyhow, use Corbin's VFAQ to do it. Relatively easy to do. Shouldn't take a real long time. It seems to be a fairly common occurrence for the valve cover/spark plug gasket to fail in some of our cars. (someone could look for a pattern...years?) The 4g63's have a similar problem with their oil cap gasket failing.

Good Luck!

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)/Custom FMIC

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

sleepereclipseApr-24-01 05:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
215 posts,
#1030, "RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks for the info everyone, im going to fix it over the weekend before i take my sheit to the illegal drags. Wish me luck. Honda spankin time - hehe.

taloned_dogApr-24-01 07:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
162 posts,
#1031, "RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?"
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON 24-Apr-01 AT 12:28 PM (PST)

LAST EDITED ON 24-Apr-01 AT 12:26 PM (PST)

after i got the part and got my tools out it took me @ 30 min. someone said the head gasket is a royal pain, i'm not looking forward to that one. CU

97 Talon ESI N/T
total stock "not for long"

osiris9Apr-24-01 01:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
6 posts,
#1032, "RE: oil in spark plug holes anyone?"
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON 24-Apr-01 AT 06:37 PM (PST)

wow thats funny my car is doing the same thing!! now i can fix it (my dad thought maybe it was normal) i have a 96 RS with 60K on it btw....

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #1024 Previous topic | Next topic