Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #99380
View in linear mode

Subject: "Where to get intake manifold flange...?" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamXtremeRSJun-18-06 04:49 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#99380, "Where to get intake manifold flange...?"

Looking to find the intake mani flange that goes to the cylinder head..I know i can find the exhaust flange, but dont know if there is any place that makes the intake side, or am I going to have to have one CNC'd for me..Thanks for any info.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, 96eclipse2nr, Jun-18-06 08:44 AM, #1
RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, TeamDR1665, Jun-18-06 09:05 AM, #2
      RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, Chamuko, Jun-18-06 09:55 AM, #3
           RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, GSGoinFast, Jun-18-06 10:15 AM, #4
                RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, TeamXtremeRS, Jun-18-06 11:37 AM, #5
                     RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, TeamDR1665, Jun-18-06 02:50 PM, #6
                          RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, GSGoinFast, Jun-18-06 03:50 PM, #7
                               RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, greygoose, Jun-18-06 04:45 PM, #8
                                    RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, GSGoinFast, Jun-18-06 06:02 PM, #9
                                         RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, JustOne, Jun-18-06 07:10 PM, #10
                                              RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, DSM_John, Jun-19-06 02:46 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, TeamXtremeRS, Jun-19-06 06:24 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, Teamdougie2, Jun-19-06 06:40 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, Keith2172, Jun-19-06 07:24 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, XMasta19, Jun-19-06 07:42 AM, #15
                                                                  RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, Keith2172, Jun-19-06 09:21 AM, #17
                                                                       RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, XMasta19, Jun-20-06 03:57 AM, #18
                                                                  RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, Chamuko, Jun-19-06 07:43 AM, #16
                                                                       RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, brohr01, Jun-22-06 09:47 AM, #19
                                                                            RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?, Teamner947, Jun-22-06 12:46 PM, #20

96eclipse2nrJun-18-06 08:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3605 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#99384, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 0

my guess is CNC'd. making custom intake manifolds isnt quite as popular a venture for the average person as say...a custom exhaust manifold.

-----------------------------------------
2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-NX 75 shot, AEM CAI, P&P t/b and intake mani-SOLD

1964 Buick Electra 225-all original, all power options, 325hp, 445ft/lbs tq

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDR1665Jun-18-06 09:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#99385, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 1

Considering the stocker is cast, I bet you're going to want CNC, sir.

ChamukoJun-18-06 09:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#99386, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 2

I smell a project a brewing!

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

GSGoinFastJun-18-06 10:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#99387, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Chamuko
I smell a project a brewing!

I agree, what you working up? I was actually just thinking of this idea the other day if I got a welder. Maybe just welding up random intake manifold designs and trying them out, just to dick around. But I think flanges would be hard to find.

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

TeamXtremeRSJun-18-06 11:37 AM
6329 posts,
#99389, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah i've been wanting to make up an intake manifold for the longest time, and my "winter project" this year will be an intake and exhaust manifold. The exhaust mani i'm not concerned about, i have a good idea how to do that and i know where to get the flange. I'm really wanting a steel intake flange, so i can weld it up with my MIG. Our stock intake mani sucks ass for boost..I'm almost positive there are at least one or two cylinders that get more air than the others under boost. I've even thought about using the Port Fueler spacer plate as a flange, but its aluminum, and to help keep this under budget, its gotta be steel. Hmm maybe i could use that for the injection portion, and then bolt up a custom mani to that plate. May simplify the design.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

TeamDR1665Jun-18-06 02:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#99394, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by XtremeRS
Hmm maybe i could use that for the injection portion, and then bolt up a custom mani to that plate. May simplify the design.

That might be a good idea. Then again, you could take a stocker, cut off the flange, then use countersunk bolts to mate it to your runners. Just an idea, but I like hearing about people looking in new directions.

GSGoinFastJun-18-06 03:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#99395, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 6
Jun-18-06 03:51 PM by GSGoinFast

Yeah, I have been toying with a design in my head kind of like a reverse design of our 4-1 headers. Like have a collector type design right after the tb with the 4 runners facing the throttle body and coming off to the head flange. It seems like it would give great air distribution and great intake velocity. But thats only what my guess would be, I would have to try it.

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

greygooseJun-18-06 04:45 PM
Member since Dec 11th 2005
274 posts,
#99396, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by GSGoinFast
Yeah, I have been toying with a design in my head kind of like a reverse design of our 4-1 headers. Like have a collector type design right after the tb with the 4 runners facing the throttle body and coming off to the head flange. It seems like it would give great air distribution and great intake velocity. But thats only what my guess would be, I would have to try it.

In forced induction applications velocity really isnt that big of a problem.

GSGoinFastJun-18-06 06:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#99401, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by greygoose
Originally posted by GSGoinFast Yeah, I have been toying with a design in my head kind of like a reverse design of our 4-1 headers. Like have a collector type design right after the tb with the 4 runners facing the throttle body and coming off to the head flange. It seems like it would give great air distribution and great intake velocity. But thats only what my guess would be, I would have to try it.
In forced induction applications velocity really isnt that big of a problem.

Well I would imagine it would flow better then our stock design

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

JustOneJun-18-06 07:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#99403, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 9

Unless you know someone who operates a mill or has access to one having it cut on water jet will be a much cheaper option for the same end result.

All you need to do is trace the intake manifold gasket on a piece of paper, scan it, import it into a CAD program (solid works, AutoCAD, etc) and trace over the lines. (Create vector based line work). Once you have a 1:1 CAD drawing you can take it, fax it or email it to shops that do water jet cutting for an estimate. Off the top of my head the guy I use here in Denver would probably charge $75-100 for .5" aluminum and cut time.

I do this same technique with my gaskets. I just converted all my gaskets into vector drawings and cut them on a laser cutter. The only downside is that the laser I use can’t cut through steel or aluminum. It cuts through about everything else though.

Brian

DSM_JohnJun-19-06 02:46 AM
Member since Jan 08th 2004
58 posts,
#99406, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 10

Even easier: you can skip 'tracing' over the 2-D scan in your favorite CAD, use a Raster to Vector program (R2V for example).

TeamXtremeRSJun-19-06 06:24 AM
6329 posts,
#99410, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 11

Well it turns out one of the guys I work with, his dad operates a water jet machine..So he may be able to do something for me. I even told the guy i work with, that he could make some extra money to make up a few and sell em lol..He says the machine can cut up to 1" thick steel. Sweet.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Teamdougie2Jun-19-06 06:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#99411, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 12

Matt,

Please let me know if you can have an aluminum flange made. I'm down for 1 or 2.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Keith2172Jun-19-06 07:24 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#99413, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 13

Interested in a steel flange possibly, keep us posted as to your progress.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

XMasta19Jun-19-06 07:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#99414, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 14
Jun-19-06 07:57 AM by XMasta19

How bout somethin like this...

My buddies new manifold he just got for his SE-R

He got it from http://www.o2induction.com That guy is an artist for sure, that baby looks immaculate. I got him to talk to the guy for me, and he said he would do a design for us as long as there was a little bit of interest from a couple members

-Xavier-
95 Eclipse RS-T...lost in the frozen tundra

Keith2172Jun-19-06 09:21 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#99420, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by XMasta19
How bout somethin like this... My buddies new manifold he just got for his SE-R He got it from http://www.o2induction.com That guy is an artist for sure, that baby looks immaculate. I got him to talk to the guy for me, and he said he would do a design for us as long as there was a little bit of interest from a couple members

That manifold gives me a chubby, though the goober holding it deffinately has a flacidity inducing quality.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

XMasta19Jun-20-06 03:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#99448, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 17

Yeah he pisses me off everytime he gets somethin like that in the mail lol. Then I'll be like, oh yeah look I got brembos, or oh check out my megasquirt hehe.

-Xavier-
95 Eclipse RS-T...lost in the frozen tundra

ChamukoJun-19-06 07:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#99415, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 14
Jun-19-06 07:50 AM by Chamuko

Yeah waterjet is what I would suggest as well.
If ya want, I have some free time seeing as its summer and all. Ill try and get Soemthing made in solidworks for you guys.

I have some papers from the SAE library on intake manifolds and plenum designs, along with tumble characteristics, angles etc... I get half way through and then it gets real technical...

edit: think you mean http://www.o2induction.com/ (wow he really cuts it close with those TB's)

oh and Ive been looking at http://www.rossmachineracing.com/
I say we Start a thread in the Advanced section Pls...

edit 2: http://www.rossmachineracing.com/intakeparts.html

man those injector bungs are at a decent price...hmmm

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

brohr01Jun-22-06 09:47 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
16 posts,
#99480, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 16

what about using the portfueler flange as a starting point. i dont know how optimal the injector placement is or the injector angle is. but it might be worth looking into. from what i understand hahn sells all the parts alone so you should be able to buy it from them. just a thought, might be cheaper than getting one machined.

Teamner947Jun-22-06 12:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#99483, "RE: Where to get intake manifold flange...?"
In response to Reply # 19

Might work... the angle is important don't get me wrong but it's not that big of a deal either, it just changes the equlibrium of how the fuel pools up on the intake tract and then evaporates again. This could probably be mostly corrected for in software. Think of wet manifolds with carbs, they work pretty well considering how far the fuel goes after it meets up with the atmosphere. The PF flange would be a good place to start from, depending on how beefy it is. I vaugely remember how thick the thing was, maybe 1/2" when I first saw it at the 04 shootout.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #99380 Previous topic | Next topic