Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #9636
View in threaded mode

Subject: "WOW ....it's HOT !!!" Previous topic | Next topic
wakebord99Dec-05-01 01:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
130 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9636, "WOW ....it's HOT !!!"

After my engine rebuild i've noticed that my engine likes being hot. At first everyone said.. it's breaking friction, so i waited. It doesn't seem to be quite as hot, but now it's got 2500 miles on it. The excess friction should be gone by now, right?

97' Eclipse RS (kinda)

Present mods:
HRC stage III turbo kit (12 psi street, 25 psi track)
HKS 2 1/2" cat back exhaust w/burnt cat
16" wheels w/Yokohomo tires (215/40)
420A engine w/ tooled crank, billet crower rods, and 8.5:1 JE pistons
Head ported and polished, 3 angled valve job
Power-stop brakes w/axis pads
Ebachi Pro lowering kit (1.8")
MSD DIS-2 ignition system w/turbo retard

Near Future:
Stand-alone fuel system
550cc injectors, and fuel rail
TEC III fuel/ecu system
17” Hart racing wheels
KYB AGX struts, w/ upgraded anti sway bars
Rear brake conversion (front to rear, Brembo in front)

I LOVE THESE DSMs
Jay-
wakbrd99@aol.com

97' Eclipse RS (kinda)

Present mods:
HRC stage III turbo kit (12 psi street, 25 psi track) / HKS 2 1/2" cat back exhaust w/burnt cat / 16" wheels w/Yokohomo tires (215/40) / 420A engine w/ tool

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MJTDec-05-01 11:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
23 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9637, "RE: WOW ....it's HOT !!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Do GST's and GSX's have a different radiator? If so, maybe the addition of the turbo has affected the efficiency of your cooling system. Just an idea.

Also, if you have a front mount intercooler, it could couse the engine to run a little hotter.

1999 GS

1991 Mustang GT

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamMuRiXDec-06-01 03:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#9638, "RE: WOW ....it's HOT !!!"
In response to Reply # 0

How do you know it is hot? Do you mean EGT's or water temp?

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

wakebord99Dec-06-01 06:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
130 posts,
#9639, "RE: WOW ....it's HOT !!!"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm getting the temp off of the water gauge. I had the turbo kit on for about 1 month prior to the engine being rebuilt, and there was NO sign of overheating ever. Not to mention that it was 80+ deg then, and 40- now. Does anyone else have this problem after a rebuild?

97' Eclipse RS (kinda)

Present mods:
HRC stage III turbo kit (12 psi street, 25 psi track) / HKS 2 1/2" cat back exhaust w/burnt cat / 16" wheels w/Yokohomo tires (215/40) / 420A engine w/ tool

hellhoundDec-08-01 04:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
62 posts,
#9640, "RE: WOW ....it's HOT !!!"
In response to Reply # 0

im not saying that this is a permanent fix...but I have a Shelby Dakota with a factory 318 in it...in '89 they only made V6s hence it has a small radiator. What i think will help till you figure out exactly whats up is adding a wetting agent to your coolant.It may knock about 10 degrees off of your temp and give you some time to think it out. It helped with my truck
Hellhound

LoudEclipseDec-09-01 07:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1758 posts,
#9641, "RE: WOW ....it's HOT !!!"
In response to Reply # 4

wo0t!
water wetter alert

TeamMichael_97RSDec-09-01 07:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#9642, "RE: WOW ....it's HOT !!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Yeah you could put a mixture of Dex-Cool and Watter-Wetter and that should help if not... may be time for a new radiator (Fluidyne)

"The fastest draw is when the sword never leaves the scabbard,
The strongest way to block, is never to provoke a blow,
And the cleanest cut is the one withheld."

Michael J. Kulaga
e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

All Motor Beast in the Making

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, Hooker 4-1 Stepped Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors and Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: Ported/Polished Intake Manifold, Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors and KVR Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

KikuDec-09-01 11:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
642 posts,
#9643, "RE: WOW ....it's HOT !!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Go to howellautomotive.com and buy the neon 160 degree thermostat. The best 20 bucks i've spent.

also make sure you do not have a leaking radiator cap and/or thermostat housing gasket. It was causing my temp to go up here and there before...

1997 Chrysler Sebring "Silver XTC"
I4 420a w/ HRC Stage 2.45 w/ FMIC
14.7@97 mph@6psi
Proud member of the
ASOG BoOsT JuNkIe Crew

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #9636 Previous topic | Next topic