Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #82760
View in linear mode

Subject: "dowels in the block, need to know something....get in here" Previous topic | Next topic
turbo8uNov-16-04 09:29 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#82760, "dowels in the block, need to know something....get in here"

on the corners of the block are dowels that the head seats to, i need to know the O.D

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: dowels in the block, need to know something....get in here, Moderatorxcasbonx, Nov-16-04 09:57 AM, #1
RE: dowels in the block, need to know something....get in here, turbo8u, Nov-16-04 10:50 AM, #2
      RE: dowels in the block, need to know something....get in here, turbo8u, Nov-20-04 06:34 PM, #3
           RE: dowels in the block, need to know something....get in here, Ajax, Jun-16-09 09:33 PM, #4
                RE: dowels in the block, need to know something....get in here, Moderatorxcasbonx, Jun-17-09 06:23 AM, #5
                RE: dowels in the block, need to know something....get in here, AdministratorCODE4, Jun-18-09 09:16 AM, #6
                     RE: dowels in the block - PART #s and dimensions, AdministratorCODE4, Jun-20-09 02:20 PM, #7

ModeratorxcasbonxNov-16-04 09:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#82767, "RE: dowels in the block, need to know something....get in here"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know an exact O.D., but I ran into this problem as well during my rebuild. I just found a small socket and tryed to match it up as close as possible and went to a local machine shop and asked for a couple dowels that they could match as close to that size. They were slightly bigger so I "modified" them to fit, never had a problem.

Built shortblock 8.8:1 CP pistons, Eagle Rods
Built head w/ P&P by ERT
Apex'i N1 catback
injen short ram intake
magnecore 8.5mm wires
EGR removal/blockoff
front/rear strut tower bars
GSX dual piston calipers
3000 stall torque converter

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

turbo8uNov-16-04 10:50 AM
10552 posts,
#82773, "RE: dowels in the block, need to know something....get in here"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by xcasbonx
I don't know an exact O.D., but I ran into this problem as well during my rebuild. I just found a small socket and tryed to match it up as close as possible and went to a local machine shop and asked for a couple dowels that they could match as close to that size. They were slightly bigger so I "modified" them to fit, never had a problem.

shibby, just took a trip to my machinists shop and he had over a hundred of them just kickin it i grabbed a handful and ended up the first two i tried worked aye perfecta

i'll micrometer the o.d and post it in here for future searches

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

JoshSpair.com

turbo8uNov-20-04 06:34 PM
10552 posts,
#82855, "RE: dowels in the block, need to know something....get in here"
In response to Reply # 2

O.D is 14mm

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

JoshSpair.com

AjaxJun-16-09 09:33 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2004
4 posts,
#126120, "RE: dowels in the block, need to know something....get in here"
In response to Reply # 3

Can anyone give me the lenght? I have a fresh block with no dowels got some from Mitsu but they are a tad to big so I am getting them worked down but just want to make sure about the lenght.

ModeratorxcasbonxJun-17-09 06:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#126121, "RE: dowels in the block, need to know something....get in here"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Ajax
Can anyone give me the lenght? I have a fresh block with no dowels got some from Mitsu but they are a tad to big so I am getting them worked down but just want to make sure about the lenght.

Can't be much more than a 1/2" long if I remember.

I contributed to the Wiki.

AdministratorCODE4Jun-18-09 09:16 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#126156, "RE: dowels in the block, need to know something....get in here"
In response to Reply # 4
Jun-18-09 09:17 AM by CODE4

Originally posted by Ajax

I have extras at home that I will mic for you when I am done at work.

Which do you want? Bedplate to block, block to head, or block to trans?

---

2012 2500HD LML

AdministratorCODE4Jun-20-09 02:20 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#126198, "RE: dowels in the block - PART #s and dimensions"
In response to Reply # 6

The following information is for the three different sized dowels on a 420a as well as an EDZ. All measurements are in inches and taken with a 0-1" micrometer. Height by Diameter.

4448856 - Cylinder Head Dowel - 0.484 x 0.575

4694106 - Bedplate Dowel - 0.460 x 0.473

5240849 - Block to Bellhousing Dowel - 0.493 x 0.631

A quantity of 2 each is needed if you are replacing them all. It is not necessary to buy these directly from the dealer (they are only a couple bucks each though). If you can find these at a machine shop supply or hardware store it is not absolutely crucial to have the measurement down to the 0.001" as you can modify a slightly larger one to work.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #82760 Previous topic | Next topic