Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #82558
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding." Previous topic | Next topic
ProjectTalon420ANov-08-04 06:10 AM
Member since Jun 14th 2004
197 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#82558, "Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding."

I cant get my car to turn over for the life of me, it tries to and just doesn't quite start. I had a DUI so while i couldn't drive I replaced...

Cams, Cam Gears, Spark Plugs, Spark Plug Wires, New Gaskets, Throttle Body, Battery, Lifters.

I am getting PLENTY of spark and fuel. The timing is Dead on, but this damn thing wont start. Its been sitting for 5 months, so i flushed the radiator, changed oil, added gas and additives. Any Ideas?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding., techboy, Nov-08-04 06:24 AM, #1
RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-08-04 08:00 PM, #2
      RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding., DJ420a, Nov-09-04 03:08 AM, #3
           RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding., tim97rs, Nov-09-04 06:09 AM, #4
                RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding., ProjectTalon420A, Nov-09-04 07:21 AM, #5
                     RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding., AdministratorCODE4, Nov-10-04 04:09 AM, #6
                          RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding., sike, Nov-10-04 07:24 AM, #7
                               RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding., sike, Nov-10-04 07:25 AM, #8
                                    RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding., 2point4, Nov-10-04 04:44 PM, #9
                                         RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding., BlueMoonEclipse, Nov-10-04 04:49 PM, #10
                                              RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding., 2point4, Nov-13-04 07:37 PM, #11

techboyNov-08-04 06:24 AM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#82559, "RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding."
In response to Reply # 0

What kind of sound is the engine making when you're trying to start it? Are you geting combustion? - like the chug, chug, chug sound or just nothing at all. Need more specifics ... it could be a lot of things. Is your starter good? Did you check and recheck all electrical connections?

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-08-04 08:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#82589, "RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding."
In response to Reply # 1

Got compression? Got fuel? Got spark? Got air?

One's missing. Find it.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

DJ420aNov-09-04 03:08 AM
Member since May 19th 2004
1219 posts,
#82593, "RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding."
In response to Reply # 2

Well put Dino, I like that!!

tim97rsNov-09-04 06:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#82595, "RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding."
In response to Reply # 3
Nov-09-04 06:10 AM by tim97rs

cams in right respectively?
I did that, cranked fine but no fire because ex cam was 180 off. one of my finer moments if i do say so....

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

ProjectTalon420ANov-09-04 07:21 AM
Member since Jun 14th 2004
197 posts,
#82599, "RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding."
In response to Reply # 4

well i put it a new starter, it makes the sound like when u try to start it, but just doesn't fire, i'm gettin a few tiny lil backfires. I have timed it in again and even flipped the cam gears 180º. Still not sure of whats up. I can mail ya a video of it with sound and maybe somebody will have an idea. It has pleenty of spark and fuel, tested that out. Its got compression too.

AdministratorCODE4Nov-10-04 04:09 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#82615, "RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by ProjectTalon420A
even flipped the cam gears 180º

Was it off to begin with? You said in your first post that your timing was dead on. I hope you did not flip the cam gears 180º just because it was a suggestion thrown out there...

---

2012 2500HD LML

sikeNov-10-04 07:24 AM
Member since Aug 06th 2003
531 posts,
#82618, "RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding."
In response to Reply # 6

Are you're plugs in the right order or did you change the coil wiring? I recently rebuilt and rewired my coil pack wrong, cylinders were firing in the wrong order, it sounded like it wanted to start but kept backfiring.

sikeNov-10-04 07:25 AM
Member since Aug 06th 2003
531 posts,
#82619, "RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding."
In response to Reply # 7

I'd also double check your plug gap, if its not any of those, i'd say timing is off since you changed the cams.

2point4Nov-10-04 04:44 PM
Member since Jun 16th 2004
406 posts,
#82626, "RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding."
In response to Reply # 8

did you put the cam magnet on properly??

BlueMoonEclipseNov-10-04 04:49 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2003
1352 posts,
#82627, "RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding."
In response to Reply # 9

err 2.4 im prety sure hes got the cam magnet in there done properly since it only fits one way unless you take the nipples off

vote for your choice of body style for Bluie!! http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluemooneclipse

2point4Nov-13-04 07:37 PM
Member since Jun 16th 2004
406 posts,
#82692, "RE: Wont turn over, just did some rebuilding."
In response to Reply # 10

he could have it 180 out right? ...chris

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #82558 Previous topic | Next topic