Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 5 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #8048
View in linear mode

Subject: "Adjusting the clutch" Previous topic | Next topic
GrashperNov-24-01 08:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
882 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8048, "Adjusting the clutch"

How would I go about adjusting my clutch?
And how would I know if it needed adjusting?

no more 420A

only 4G63

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Adjusting the clutch, Erik, Nov-24-01 04:32 PM, #1
RE: Adjusting the clutch, Grashper, Nov-24-01 08:44 PM, #2
      RE: Adjusting the clutch, HadesOmega, Nov-27-01 09:38 PM, #3
If it is pedal adjustment you want......then, TeamDeanoD, Nov-28-01 03:11 AM, #4
RE: If it is pedal adjustment you want......then, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-28-01 05:12 AM, #5
      RE: If it is pedal adjustment you want......then, Grashper, Nov-28-01 05:48 AM, #6
           RE: If it is pedal adjustment you want......then, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-28-01 06:50 AM, #7
                RE: If it is pedal adjustment you want......then, Grashper, Nov-28-01 08:22 AM, #8
                     RE: If it is pedal adjustment you want......then, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-28-01 08:59 AM, #9
                          RE: If it is pedal adjustment you want......then, Grashper, Nov-28-01 09:09 AM, #10

ErikNov-24-01 04:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8049, "RE: Adjusting the clutch"
In response to Reply # 0

What year? I think in 96 was the last of the Non-modular. 1997 has hydraulic clutch for sure and no adj. can be made to the actual clutch. Best you can do is to make sure that the self-adjuster works. Hope this helps. Chiltons should have something on that.

Shit is all apart. Typical...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

GrashperNov-24-01 08:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
882 posts,
#8050, "RE: Adjusting the clutch"
In response to Reply # 1

Its a 97 RS.

Thanks for the info.

no more 420A

only 4G63

HadesOmegaNov-27-01 09:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#8051, "RE: Adjusting the clutch"
In response to Reply # 2

you can also do the clutch restrictor mod it'll made your clutch engage and disengage faster. There's something about a clutch adjustment in the chiltons but it look complicated. I have a 95 and my clutch is hydraulic as well.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

TeamDeanoDNov-28-01 03:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#8052, "If it is pedal adjustment you want......then"
In response to Reply # 0

that is not a problem. After nearly 50K miles on a 97RS, my pedal required to be all the way to the floor to get my car into gear. I first noticed it when trying to shift rapidly. I also had a crunching sound when pushing the clutch in. I adjusted the pedal and replaced the plastic bushings in the pivot bolt(pedal swings from this bolt)and rod attachment pin. No more crunching(feels like new)and the clutch starts to engage with the pedal roughly 2 inches off the floor.

The bushings were only a couple of bucks form the dealer. You will need a total of three of them. If they are morons then ask them to pull up the parts breakdown of the clutch pedal and you will see two bushings up top on the pivot bolt and one down lower in the attachment pin that connects to the clutch cable. I also bought a new spring to help with feel(not necessary if your pedal springs back fine). If you plan on doing this, e-mail me and I will dig further into helpful hints. Be prepared for knuckle scrapes removing/reinstalling the pivot bolt.

The adjustment of the pedal(trying to remember.....easy once you actually crawl in there). I believe I loosened one retaining nut(keeps the adjustment nut tight)and then turned the adjustment nut so it was extending my clutch pedal up(basically-it extends the rod itself to push the cable in farther when depressing the pedal). I only rotated the nut maybe 1.5 revolutions....I suggest doing half turns and checking it each time to see if you like it. You will have to start the car and put it in gear and see how far you have to raise the pedal off the floor to get it too engage. If you need more, adjust more if you went too far.....well you get the idea. When you are finished, remember to retighten the locking nut on the adjustment nut.

One last thing.....do not let your clutch engage to far up top. It will not fully engage and will burn it up prematurely.

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-28-01 05:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#8053, "RE: If it is pedal adjustment you want......then"
In response to Reply # 4

Sounds like you need a new clutch. Engagement should be that far down in the pedal. Mine disengages within two inches of pedal movement - i never even touch the floor.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

GrashperNov-28-01 05:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
882 posts,
#8054, "RE: If it is pedal adjustment you want......then"
In response to Reply # 5

HadesOmega: I plan on doing the restricter mod soon, maybe you can help me with that too?

DeanoD: Thanks for the good usefull knowledge and you have a message. Thanks!

DarkOne: I hope I don't need a new clutch, that would only add to all the other crap that needs to be done. I can get it giong from second gear every time. But this is the original clutch as well. We shall see. Thanks for all the help guys.

no more 420A

only 4G63

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-28-01 06:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#8055, "RE: If it is pedal adjustment you want......then"
In response to Reply # 6

The it's probably just the restrictor that's doing that .. after i took mine out, with a fresh right-out-of-the-box clutch, i could shift with an inch of pedal.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

GrashperNov-28-01 08:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
882 posts,
#8056, "RE: If it is pedal adjustment you want......then"
In response to Reply # 7

So I should probably go ahead and do the restricter removal mod then? Cause my sh!t is all the way to the floor to engage and disengage.

no more 420A

only 4G63

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-28-01 08:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#8057, "RE: If it is pedal adjustment you want......then"
In response to Reply # 8

Yes, do the restrictor mod. Have you checked the fluid level lately? That could be another reason for such low engagement, as well as a need to bleed the system.

Yiou have to do that with the restrictor mod anyway, so go to it.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

GrashperNov-28-01 09:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
882 posts,
#8058, "RE: If it is pedal adjustment you want......then"
In response to Reply # 9

SIR, YES SIR!!!!!!!
I WILL COMPLETE THE OBJECTIVE AT HAND SIR!
* Salutes to DarkOne *

no more 420A

only 4G63

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #8048 Previous topic | Next topic