Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #79951
View in linear mode

Subject: "wrist pins wrong size?" Previous topic | Next topic
CJ_96RSSep-01-04 04:14 AM
Member since May 08th 2004
33 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#79951, "wrist pins wrong size?"

Hi, I just noticed that two of the wrist pins I got with my Eagle rods are 2.5" long, the other two are 2.25", this is obviously wrong, but I just wanted to make sure before I chew somebody's ass about it. Anyone who has Eagle rods, how long are your wrist pins?

Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: wrist pins wrong size?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-01-04 06:05 AM, #1
RE: wrist pins wrong size?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-02-04 02:46 AM, #2
      RE: wrist pins wrong size?, thedawg, Sep-02-04 09:45 AM, #3
           RE: wrist pins wrong size?, turbo8u, Sep-02-04 01:00 PM, #4
                RE: wrist pins wrong size?, thedawg, Sep-03-04 11:13 AM, #5
                     RE: wrist pins wrong size?, turbo8u, Sep-03-04 11:25 AM, #6
                          RE: wrist pins wrong size?, CJ_96RS, Sep-08-04 09:28 AM, #7
                               RE: wrist pins wrong size?, turbo8u, Sep-08-04 09:30 AM, #8

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-01-04 06:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#79957, "RE: wrist pins wrong size?"
In response to Reply # 0

Look on the spec sheet that came with your pistons. Wrist pin diameter and length will be written down on that.

Sounds like you got some incorrect parts.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-02-04 02:46 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#79979, "RE: wrist pins wrong size?"
In response to Reply # 1

the wrist pins that came with my JE pistons are all the same length, pins didnt come with my rods.

Terry

96 Eagle talon ESI
Greddy header - Greddy exhaust

97 Eclipse
Star Stage II - Boost/oil/EGT gauges - Apexi N1 3" exhaust - SFMU/return line - Apexi SAFC - Stage 2 6 puck Sprung hub MIBA clutch - Shortened shifter - Koni Yellows w/eibach prokit - Stillen Fr/Rr swaybars - ceramic intake - DEI Keyless entry alarm - Niche 17" Shoks

Waiting to be installed: HKS EVC IV, 450 Turbo injectors, GSX Front brakes (need rotors)

Mitchell on Demand copies available

thedawgSep-02-04 09:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#79991, "RE: wrist pins wrong size?"
In response to Reply # 2

Um... wrist pins don't come with rods. They come with pistons.

There are two 8.8:1 JE pistons part numbers for our car. One is the old version, and the other is a newer version with a shorter wristpin.

OLD JE P/N: 168612
NEW JE P/N: 208476

Old Pin length: 2.500
New Pin length: 2.250

turbo8uSep-02-04 01:00 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#80009, "RE: wrist pins wrong size?"
In response to Reply # 3

just shave it, thats what i had to do with my wisecos

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

thedawgSep-03-04 11:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#80064, "RE: wrist pins wrong size?"
In response to Reply # 4

Since he bought them new, he should get the right parts, IMO.

I'm not even going to go into how bad of an idea it is to shave a precision machined part like this.

The new piston has a smaller wristpin because it has a smaller base to accomodate it. Get the wristpin that is appropriate to whichever version of pistons you have.

turbo8uSep-03-04 11:25 AM
10552 posts,
#80068, "RE: wrist pins wrong size?"
In response to Reply # 5

i only shaved about a few MM off my wrist pins, its not a 'precision machined part' really and all it needs to do it fit between the two gaps for the pin locks. in your case i would get the proper wrist pins because the ones you got are significantly different. mine were machined wrong, so i fixed them with a valve face grinder and called it a day.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

JoshSpair.com

CJ_96RSSep-08-04 09:28 AM
Member since May 08th 2004
33 posts,
#80286, "RE: wrist pins wrong size?"
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks, guys. I'm getting my rotating assembly balanced tomorrow anyway, so I just put a grinder on them till the micrometer read 2.249, and put a little taper on the outside corner to approximate the other side. They seem pretty snug in the piston. Lesson: Don't buy your internals on eBay if you're not willing to wait a couple months for the seller to fix his mistake.

turbo8uSep-08-04 09:30 AM
10552 posts,
#80287, "RE: wrist pins wrong size?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by CJ_96RS
anyway, so I just put a grinder on them till the micrometer read 2.249, and put a little taper on the outside corner to approximate the other side. They seem pretty snug in the piston.

right on man ...exactly what i did. its not like you weakened them at ALL either.

get a pic i wanna see how you did it compared to what i had to do

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

JoshSpair.com

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #79951 Previous topic | Next topic