Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #74424
View in linear mode

Subject: " Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)" Previous topic | Next topic
titogs95May-13-04 07:39 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2002
50 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74424, " Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"

Hey guys i am here with and idea.
This poll is to see if some people are willing to do the 2.4L Swap.
I know it is a pain on the @$$ but if u have the skills (or ur mechanic) it is not so hard.
For what i read the swap is not SO!!!! hard it is all about cooperation and help from the other dsm people. But i did not recieve such cooperation from those people.

I Wish that those people that have “”done”” and “”almost did finish”” the swap, help another 420A people about the custom mount and maybe another tricks.
You guys should make custom made mounts or THE FAMOUS KIT!!!! For sale. (I beat people will buy it $$$$)

ANYWAY!!!!!
Somebody should make the whole deal of swap a 2.4L block on the eclipse important and posted in: TECH ARTICLES! or something like that.
This idea got to be a revolution for the 420A people. It is no our fault that we did not have (or have) enough money to buy the car and pay for high insurer’s rate.

Well I leave this in your hands! You guys decide. What is going to happen with the whole deal. OR

P.D: I have never done the swap, but I am willing to have a Bad ass 2.4L N/T Eclipse!!!!!

Tito

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), turbo8u, May-13-04 08:00 AM, #1
RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), MajinVejitaXV, May-13-04 08:01 AM, #2
RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), alain95i4, May-13-04 08:06 AM, #3
RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), MajinVejitaXV, May-13-04 08:52 AM, #4
      RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), Uberingram, May-13-04 11:48 AM, #5
           RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), MajinVejitaXV, May-13-04 11:57 AM, #6
                RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), Uberingram, May-13-04 12:01 PM, #7
                     RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), lrseclipse, May-13-04 01:14 PM, #8
                          RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), Uberingram, May-13-04 01:30 PM, #9
                               RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), BlueMoonEclipse, May-13-04 02:37 PM, #10
                                    RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), Uberingram, May-13-04 02:59 PM, #11
                                         RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), TeamAvenger, May-14-04 06:30 AM, #12
                                              RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), BlueMoonEclipse, May-14-04 03:07 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), turbo8u, May-14-04 04:55 PM, #14
                                                        RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), Keith2172, Jun-07-04 05:31 AM, #15
                                                             RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), BlueMoonEclipse, Jun-09-04 05:10 PM, #16
                                                             RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), Steve, Jun-09-04 08:50 PM, #17
                                                                  RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), Keith2172, Jun-10-04 05:10 AM, #18
                                                                       RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A), alain95i4, Jun-10-04 08:26 AM, #19

turbo8uMay-13-04 08:00 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74425, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 0

lol 2429cc's just isnt enough these days
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

as needles of ice
are the ill winds' talons

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MajinVejitaXVMay-13-04 08:01 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2002
446 posts,
#74426, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 0

Hm, if someone made a kit and it was quality (no MotoFool's need apply), I might go for it. Hell, if the fabrication problems were addressed in a kit that could be had for a decent price, I'd have VT Engines do a 2.6L stroker with a forged crank, like their 2.2L. Add a beefy turbo, maybe a 50 shot of nitrous (depending on the overall setup), and you have a monster.

-Corey

alain95i4May-13-04 08:06 AM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
#74427, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 0

in 2002 I decided to do the swap with a 2.4 built motor instead of building a 2.0 , in a way to be an original but also because of the really cheap cost of the srt-4 parts and most 2.4 parts in general
20% more stroke is nice, the 2.4 is a torque monster by nature who prefer to deliver boosted power at low rev, my kind of engine I hate engines that you have to push to 6000 rpm to wake them up

the swap is a long process for me because I have really limited financial ressources to put on that engine, it's only a hobby and not a goal in my life

I also have nothing to hide, each and everyone of my ideas are out there in pictures

I once taught about doing a kit with engine support and power steering/ac compressor adaptors but my first potential customer, bugging me to produce this kit, was already advertising "his own kit" comming soon ... basically meaning that "once I get Alain Bourassa's parts , fuck that french-canadian, I'm just gonna reproduce them and sell them for less"
the kit idea is now gone and forgotten

I also started recently to be more quiet about my latest things I put pictures as teasers and pictures once done but I'm tired of answering the same messages again and again from peoples who don't take the times to search and read evertyhing done so far, or not even trying to search something
i'm talking about guys like this one for instance
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=32&topic_id=1328&mesg_id=1328&page=

he couldn't even find the second post of that conference where he was posting this message ...

the more peoples are getting into the 2.4 swap fever the easier it will be because the poll of ideas will be go larger
just last weekend I spent 15 hours trying to figure how to put a mitsubishi made power steering pump on the 2.4
finally found an elegant solution , other peoples will just clone what I'm doing and do it in a few minutes, not 15 hours

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

MajinVejitaXVMay-13-04 08:52 AM
446 posts,
#74429, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 3

Eh, don't let people get to you man. I mean, people are always gonna try and rip-off the ideas of others, but let the idiots buy his parts and have them fail because they are of an inferior quality.

A 2.4L swap kit would be (another) kickass contribution to the community, and from the feedback about your manifolds I have faith in your ability to produce something realiable. I understand if you don't end up doing it for one reason or another, but if you do you've got a customer right here.

-Corey

UberingramMay-13-04 11:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#74436, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 4

If I was keeping my eclipse I think I would stay 2L.

MajinVejitaXVMay-13-04 11:57 AM
446 posts,
#74437, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 5

Reasoning? I've thought on both ends of the spectrum, but I'm curious to see what others say...

-Corey

UberingramMay-13-04 12:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#74438, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 6
May-13-04 12:02 PM by Uberingram

It's a bolt on affair. The car was designed to hold a 2L and that's what should be in the engine bay. There is plenty of different things you can do to make up for the extra .4L's IMO. I guess it just means I'm lazy and if I have to pull the engine a couple of times then I just want it in and out and not having to worry about fab stuff. That's just me though. If money, time and patience weren't factors then the 2.4 looks pretty tasty..mmmm...torque.

lrseclipseMay-13-04 01:14 PM
Member since Jul 14th 2003
92 posts,
#74447, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 7

I am doing a 2.4L swap but not a mitsu motor... what motor were you planning on anyways?

UberingramMay-13-04 01:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#74449, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 8
May-13-04 01:31 PM by Uberingram

Originally posted by lrseclipse
I am doing a 2.4L swap but not a mitsu motor...

Only 2.4 I know of that's mitsu is the 4g64 and who the fuck would swap that in? The 2.4's we're refering to are all DC.

BlueMoonEclipseMay-13-04 02:37 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2003
1352 posts,
#74458, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 9

Hey uber....dont you love your SRT??

Exactly... the torque is worth it

Bolt on?? not even close

vote for your choice of body style for Bluie!! http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluemooneclipse

UberingramMay-13-04 02:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#74462, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 10
May-13-04 03:00 PM by Uberingram

Originally posted by BlueMoonEclipse
Hey uber....dont you love your SRT??

Yeah, and the motor belongs in there too. Go figure.

To those doing the swap (more so the experianced individuals I've spoken with on the issue)...good luck.

TeamAvengerMay-14-04 06:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#74493, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 11

I have to agree with Uber on this one. If you're going NA and want more power then adding displacement is the way to go. But if you're boosted there are much better and easier ways to make up the power difference. Unless you're just really pyschotic and like to drive around on slicks permanently. My nice 2.0L w/ the 3.94 at 6psi and 9psi never got any tracting in 1st and 2nd gear. Now with the 3.55 on 6psi I don't get traction in 1st still, and 9psi and 12psi still no traction in 2nd. This is with a quiafe and stiff mounts.

And remember the thing that holds us back from making good power isn't the displacement of the engine, it's the engine management. If you're still craving displacement get a stroker 2.2L with the ease of install.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

BlueMoonEclipseMay-14-04 03:07 PM
1352 posts,
#74518, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by Avenger
I have to agree with Uber on this one. If you're going NA and want more power then adding displacement is the way to go. But if you're boosted there are much better and easier ways to make up the power difference. Unless you're just really pyschotic and like to drive around on slicks permanently. My nice 2.0L w/ the 3.94 at 6psi and 9psi never got any tracting in 1st and 2nd gear. Now with the 3.55 on 6psi I don't get traction in 1st still, and 9psi and 12psi still no traction in 2nd. This is with a quiafe and stiff mounts. And remember the thing that holds us back from making good power isn't the displacement of the engine, it's the engine management. If you're still craving displacement get a stroker 2.2L with the ease of install.

That is correct...yet for some of us who are psychotic enough to do a trans swap and keep it automatic it makes sence since we canot take advantage of the high rpm drop you acheive with a clutch ..we need our torque a lil earlier

vote for your choice of body style for Bluie!! http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluemooneclipse

turbo8uMay-14-04 04:55 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#74521, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 13

yea, an auto 2.4L turbo would be negative-traction ville at any boost

2.2's advantage is the high redline capability, but 7250 and 7800 are already ballpark redlines for both 2.4L and 2.0L so thats high enough imo, 2.2 could go 10K...thatd be sick
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

as needles of ice
are the ill winds' talons

Keith2172Jun-07-04 05:31 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#75734, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 14

Not too hard to have the crank knife edged and put forged internals in, then you can rpm till your hearts content, to cut-off anyways. Where did you guys find the blocks? Did they kinda fall into your lap or s there a good cheap place out there to find used 2.4's. Im talking $150 shipped. Maybe Im just too cheap.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

BlueMoonEclipseJun-09-04 05:10 PM
1352 posts,
#75868, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 15

150 shipped? maybe + shipping =275 ish

Me and turbo8 are lucky ebay bastards (turbo is luckier than me)

Ebay my friend...BTW if purchasing the engine...buy internals AFTER you get the block honned and clearanced

SteveJun-09-04 08:50 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2003
1542 posts,
#75883, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by Keith2172
Not too hard to have the crank knife edged and put forged internals in, then you can rpm till your hearts content, to cut-off anyways. Where did you guys find the blocks? Did they kinda fall into your lap or s there a good cheap place out there to find used 2.4's. Im talking $150 shipped. Maybe Im just too cheap.

Ive been under the impression that we allready have a knife edged crank for one and that the head was what we need to worry about when wanting to go with a higher redline moreso than pistons

Steve-o
Top secret.

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
I guess I'll just have to live with a 500+ hp AWD 4-banger.

Keith2172Jun-10-04 05:10 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#75888, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 17

shows how much a noob (me) knows. I didn't know we had knife-edged cranks. If and when I do the swap I'd change cams and springs anyways, and I'd do the SS valves and shit too, so I'm not too worried about it. I guess I just have to keep glued to ebay for the block then, I'm not paying $700+shipping for a block Im gonna tear apart anyways.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

alain95i4Jun-10-04 08:26 AM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
#75896, "RE: Will u do the 2.4L swap? (420A)"
In response to Reply # 18

get the block with lowest possible mileage if you want to rebuilt it with SRT-4 internals, since they only come in standard bore size

if you want to put other pistons , get any block you want and have it redone by a machine shop

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #74424 Previous topic | Next topic