Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #57990
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problem after the 5speed conversion" Previous topic | Next topic
eclipseman1999Aug-27-03 10:50 AM
Member since Jul 25th 2003
973 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#57990, "Problem after the 5speed conversion"

I had a 5speed conversion done on my car and yes I did change my ecu to a manuals.Is the write up on armonds website correct on how to fix the speedometer or is their anything else that I should know because mine is a 99 eclipse and I dont know what car he did it on. My speedometer doesnt work ever since the converion was done.Also does anyone know how to remove the tcu becuase I dont know how to get at it and remove it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Problem after the 5speed conversion, TeamAvenger, Aug-27-03 11:37 AM, #1
RE: Problem after the 5speed conversion, run4cvr, Aug-27-03 12:10 PM, #2
RE: Problem after the 5speed conversion, eclipseman1999, May-07-06 03:37 PM, #3
      RE: Problem after the 5speed conversion, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, May-07-06 04:49 PM, #4
           RE: Problem after the 5speed conversion, Chamuko, May-08-06 07:08 AM, #5
           RE: Problem after the 5speed conversion, eclipseman1999, May-08-06 03:37 PM, #6
           RE: Problem after the 5speed conversion, davidaham, May-30-10 09:20 PM, #7

TeamAvengerAug-27-03 11:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#57996, "RE: Problem after the 5speed conversion"
In response to Reply # 0

I sent you a reply to the private message. The thing that is keeping you from having a speedo signal is your TCU. It's sending out a signal and your MT speedo is sending out a signal so you're getting nothing. You need to remove the TCU and then your speedo will start working. Since you are 96+ the TCU is a PIA to get to. I had to remove the ducting right above it and then unbolt the little mounting plate. The I could finally angle it up enough to get at the bolt holding the TCU harness on. Once that is off it'll come right out.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

run4cvrAug-27-03 12:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2477 posts,
#57999, "RE: Problem after the 5speed conversion"
In response to Reply # 0

I emailed you awhile back about the TCU. Let me know if you are interested in some testing before you remove it.

John 96 GS

eclipseman1999May-07-06 03:37 PM
973 posts,
#98506, "RE: Problem after the 5speed conversion"
In response to Reply # 2

I removed the tcu. Is the rewire that armond has on his website any different for a 99?

Shawn
99 Eclipse RS
Hahn Stage 2,Full built bottom end with je 8:8 and eagle rods ect..

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMay-07-06 04:49 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#98508, "RE: Problem after the 5speed conversion"
In response to Reply # 3
May-07-06 11:52 PM by Star Turbo Talon

Best thing to do is use a schematic and wire in the three wires for the speed sensor to the correct pins on the ECU.

Ok Did the work for you but you need to verify the pin out on a 99. 97/98 are the same for the VSS signal pin at the ECU (pin 66).

Speedo needs 3 wires. When looking at the plug from the front side (back side is where the wires come out) and the clip on top. Numbers are from left to right
__^__
(1 2 3 )

Middle wire is location 2 and needs to be grounded. Run the wire into the harness and solder it to the middle wire of the Cam sensor (ground also).

Pin 1 is going to be a Yellow wire in the plug, this is 9v reference wire. Follow this to the spot where you soldered in the ground to the Cam sensor wire and splice into the yellow wire there as well. The Cam, Crank and Speed sensor all use the same 9v wire.

Pin 3 is the VSS signal wire to the ECU which is also 5v. This should go to pin 66 in A106 ECU plug (top plug in ECU).

Terry

ChamukoMay-08-06 07:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#98530, "RE: Problem after the 5speed conversion"
In response to Reply # 4

just follow theese guys instructions they are right.

If anything you can keep the VSS in your hand while your on the driveway and spin it by hand to troubleshoot.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

eclipseman1999May-08-06 03:37 PM
973 posts,
#98545, "RE: Problem after the 5speed conversion"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Best thing to do is use a schematic and wire in the three wires for the speed sensor to the correct pins on the ECU. Ok Did the work for you but you need to verify the pin out on a 99. 97/98 are the same for the VSS signal pin at the ECU (pin 66). Speedo needs 3 wires. When looking at the plug from the front side (back side is where the wires come out) and the clip on top. Numbers are from left to right __^__ (1 2 3 ) Middle wire is location 2 and needs to be grounded. Run the wire into the harness and solder it to the middle wire of the Cam sensor (ground also). Pin 1 is going to be a Yellow wire in the plug, this is 9v reference wire. Follow this to the spot where you soldered in the ground to the Cam sensor wire and splice into the yellow wire there as well. The Cam, Crank and Speed sensor all use the same 9v wire. Pin 3 is the VSS signal wire to the ECU which is also 5v. This should go to pin 66 in A106 ECU plug (top plug in ECU). Terry

So the 3 wires your talking about are the ones that are coming out of the speed sensor? If so I just follow you instructions for those wires into the ecu right?

Shawn
99 Eclipse RS
Hahn Stage 2,Full built bottom end with je 8:8 and eagle rods ect..

davidahamMay-30-10 09:20 PM
Member since Jan 19th 2009
2 posts,
#130770, "RE: Problem after the 5speed conversion"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Best thing to do is use a schematic and wire in the three wires for the speed sensor to the correct pins on the ECU. Ok Did the work for you but you need to verify the pin out on a 99. 97/98 are the same for the VSS signal pin at the ECU (pin 66). Speedo needs 3 wires. When looking at the plug from the front side (back side is where the wires come out) and the clip on top. Numbers are from left to right __^__ (1 2 3 ) Middle wire is location 2 and needs to be grounded. Run the wire into the harness and solder it to the middle wire of the Cam sensor (ground also). Pin 1 is going to be a Yellow wire in the plug, this is 9v reference wire. Follow this to the spot where you soldered in the ground to the Cam sensor wire and splice into the yellow wire there as well. The Cam, Crank and Speed sensor all use the same 9v wire. Pin 3 is the VSS signal wire to the ECU which is also 5v. This should go to pin 66 in A106 ECU plug (top plug in ECU). Terry

ok i so i did everything listed above and still wont work... what i did was hook the black wire and the yellow to the the black and yellow wire on the cam shaft sensor like it said to do above. and than ran the yellow/white wire to pin 66 in the ecu plug. and when i drive it the speedometer only goes up to about 20mph and it will pulsate up and down from 20 to 5 mph. so then i hooked all 3 wires to the same color wire on the ecu plug. pin 43 44 and 66 and got the same result then i left the 2 yellow wires hooked to the ecu and hooked the black wire directly the the negative side on the battery post and still same result.. 2 years after doing the auto to manual swap i am geting tired of messing with the speed sensor. so any help would be great

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #57990 Previous topic | Next topic