Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #21693
View in linear mode

Subject: "Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..." Previous topic | Next topic
1FastEclipseApr-29-02 12:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
467 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21693, "Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..."

Ok, I just purchased the pacesetter catback and bolted in on. It sounds great and all but when I am driving it seems to be rattling. Like its vibrating so much that it is hitting something. I have everything tight and all the bolts secure. Anyone else ever have this problem? How can I fix it? Thanks guys.

99GSX Auto 14b@17psi 13.345@102mph

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..., 1TuffRS, Apr-29-02 02:39 AM, #1
RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..., damasta, Apr-29-02 07:39 AM, #2
      RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..., TeamJasonESi_T, Apr-29-02 07:55 AM, #3
           RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..., John99RS, Apr-29-02 09:21 AM, #4
                RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..., nevercontent, Apr-29-02 02:25 PM, #5
                     RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..., 1TuffRS, Apr-29-02 03:50 PM, #6
                          RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..., nevercontent, Apr-29-02 04:38 PM, #7
                               RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..., 1TuffRS, Apr-29-02 04:41 PM, #8
                                    RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..., Luzahan, Apr-29-02 05:41 PM, #9

1TuffRSApr-29-02 02:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21694, "RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..."
In response to Reply # 0

yeah mine rattles too. Vegas had the same problem and he just went to an exhaust shop and got them to shorten one of the hangers. It is probably the piece that connects the two parts of the exhaust hitting the chassis brace. I tried some quick fix and it worked for a while, but I plan on getting the hanger fixed asap now, cuz its starting to get on my nerves

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

damastaApr-29-02 07:39 AM
Member since Dec 16th 2001
302 posts,
#21695, "RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..."
In response to Reply # 1

Check this, on my old GReddy EVO there was a flange (where the 2 pieces of the catback connected just below the driver seat area), the flange sat beside a hanger, when the bolt and nut were pointed a certain direction the end of the bolt would hit the hanger, so I flipped the bolt around so the head of the bolt was near the hanger and that fixed the problem; the head of the bolt would now clear the hanger and not rattle. This was on my GReddy and you're talking abtou Pacesetter, but it's worth looking into before paying some shop to figure it out. BTW you could see the hanger without lifting the car, it was close to the edge of the driver side.

Coo'
alex_ries@hotmail.com

Coo'
alex_ries@hotmail.com

TeamJasonESi_TApr-29-02 07:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#21696, "RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..."
In response to Reply # 2

Akin to what Kyle said, but double check all the hangars. That's the most likely thing that causes any rattling. Check the area about the bottom left (or driver's side) rear control arm. The exhaust pipe comes fairly close to that area.

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

John99RSApr-29-02 09:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#21697, "RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..."
In response to Reply # 3

Mine was hitting the rear axle(crossbeam) or whatever you call it. I saw an article in Sport Compact car long ago about them having the same problem with their project Subaru WRX. Well, they used long zip ties and put them around some of the hangers to pull them up a bit....it worked great for me! Just wrap a zip tie around the hanger, push up on the muffler/exhaust and tighten the zip tie as tight as you can.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

nevercontentApr-29-02 02:25 PM
Member since Apr 20th 2002
83 posts,
#21698, "RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..."
In response to Reply # 4

i definately have a rattling problem with my EVO exhaust too but just never did anything about it...but tomorrow i'm gonna try the stuff said in this thread. thanks

1TuffRSApr-29-02 03:50 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#21699, "RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..."
In response to Reply # 5

where did you get the long zip ties from??

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

nevercontentApr-29-02 04:38 PM
Member since Apr 20th 2002
83 posts,
#21700, "RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..."
In response to Reply # 6

home depot has a whole ziptie section. with long ones i'm sure

1TuffRSApr-29-02 04:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#21701, "RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..."
In response to Reply # 7

cool thanks man

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

LuzahanApr-29-02 05:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
179 posts,
#21702, "RE: Got my new exhaust! It's awesome but..."
In response to Reply # 8

My greddy evo does the same thing, the pipe that goes over the axle, hits the bolt that holds the sway bar on, I just havent had the time to take care of it.

98 Eclipse GS:
Greddy Evo
RH z5000 19's
Blitz Kit
AEM CAI

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #21693 Previous topic | Next topic