Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #21603
View in linear mode

Subject: "CAM ISSUES SOLVED!!!!!!! thanks to those who gave advice..." Previous topic | Next topic
tim97rsApr-27-02 02:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21603, "CAM ISSUES SOLVED!!!!!!! thanks to those who gave advice..."

Okay, first and formost it helps to have the car correctly timed. I was off by 1 tooth on I & E!!! Got taht re-dun (correctly this time), and had to -get ready for this- shim each lifter on the exhaust side .060"!!!! NONE ON THE INTAKE, and i still have ticking. Idle is back to normal, no surging and it feels like a bit more power too. It just ticks, im guessing because even with the .060" shims some lifters still have roughly .005"-.008" gap (lash?) between cam bottom and roller.
so as of now, all is good (excpet ticking) and i really appreciate all the help and info. Thanks Fast420a, michael97rs, and others. Id like to thank the acadamy, and most of all God,...... sorry, got carried away.
Thanks guys

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TeamStan2gntApr-27-02 06:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21604, "RE: CAM ISSUES SOLVED!!!!!!! thanks to those who gave advice..."
In response to Reply # 0

Whats the point of new billets if you still have to shim them to stop ticking (which you say it didn't stop).

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

tim97rsApr-27-02 07:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#21605, "RE: CAM ISSUES SOLVED!!!!!!! thanks to those who gave advice..."
In response to Reply # 1

they aren't new billets, they're stocks with a mild re-grind.

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

TeamMichael_97RSApr-28-02 11:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#21606, "RE: CAM ISSUES SOLVED!!!!!!! thanks to those who gave advice..."
In response to Reply # 2

No problem, that's what we're here for. Glad it's all solved. Didn't you have intake side shimmed .030" why unshim it?

Una salus victus.
It's not about being invincible, it's about being ready; for anything.

Michael J. Kulaga
e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, Hooker 4-1 Stepped Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Crane Fireball HI-6DI2, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: P&P Intake Manifold 1/2, P&P Milled Head, Rear Disc Brakes, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads, SS Brake Lines

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

tim97rsApr-28-02 12:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#21607, "RE: CAM ISSUES SOLVED!!!!!!! thanks to those who gave advice..."
In response to Reply # 3

yea, i had the intake side shimed but there were only 3 lifters that had ANY gap between the roller and cam, and the most was .004", the rest of them had no clearnace of any kind unless they were .001" or less. I still have clearnce on the exhaust side even with .060" shims, as much as .010" or more. should i try to shim them up a bit more do ya think?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #21603 Previous topic | Next topic