Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137892
View in linear mode

Subject: "Starter heatsoaks then wont crank..any starter Heatshields?" Previous topic | Next topic
Gruff511May-09-13 05:15 PM
Member since Aug 06th 2011
203 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137892, "Starter heatsoaks then wont crank..any starter Heatshields?"

So ever since I went turbo i started getting starting issues not too long after. I found out it is my starter overheating. Ive replaced it twice already and it still happens.
So im turning to some 420a veterans for some advice. Has anyone made or used some sort of heat shield for the starter.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SilvrEclipsMay-09-13 05:39 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137893, "RE: Starter heatsoaks then wont crank..any starter Heatshields?"
In response to Reply # 0

I had very similar issues for a long time. Ended up replacing the starter at the same time I rewired for MS2. Worked fine until the solenoid melted from the heat on a track day. I tried making a metal heat shield but the starter wire ended up melting and grounding out to that. So I dont recommend a metal shield unless you have plenty of clearance on the wiring. I now use an adhesive heat reflecting shield. I wrapped the starter in this and it seems to work well. Something similar to this.

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900187245/?utm_source=NXT&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=900187245&utm_campaign=NXT

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Gruff511May-09-13 10:31 PM
Member since Aug 06th 2011
203 posts,
#137895, "RE: Starter heatsoaks then wont crank..any starter Heatshields?"
In response to Reply # 1

Thats a good point about the metal heat shield although my wire hasnt melted yet but I think ill just try out that heat wrap and see if it makes a difference.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137892 Previous topic | Next topic