Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #130644
View in linear mode

Subject: "wont start / no spark. (Kinda long)" Previous topic | Next topic
97GS-TpalMay-16-10 11:06 PM
Member since Mar 10th 2010
13 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#130644, "wont start / no spark. (Kinda long)"

So i bought my GS for 800 bucks off a friends friend. Threw roughly around 2000+ in it just to get it back in decent condition (plugs wires coil, trani clutch flywheel, both halfshafts/hub assembly, and brakes all around, and cam shaft posistion sensor and all new ebrake assembly)

After all this she was running pretty decent, eating stock civics celicas and focus's all day even got a late 90s camaro (kid didnt know how to drive) and my cousins shitty firebird lol same thing tho, couldnt drive.

regardless, i was recently heading to work and out of no where my car just died. pull over onto the side of the road and tryed starting it. It would turn over, but wouldnt fire up. My radio had come on and stuff, so i know it wasnt the battery or the starter, and probably not the alternator.

After searching through here ive narrowed it down to possibly the coil, or something that runs to the coil. What gets me is that the plugs and coil assembly i replaced just a few months ago, so if it that, what could make it go bad? and any ideas of what exactly this may be or how to fix it.

RECENT/ONGOING problems
Water pump gasket popped and leaks water (just carry water and fill it up before driving)

check engine light comes on(codes for o2 sensor which the guy who had it before me removed the front one for the after market meghan exhaust, why idk, but thats what he did. and the back one isnt hooked up either i think but this whole time its ran fine)ive had this car since november, so 7 months.

Before it died my check engine light had blinked a few times for a couple seconds, it hadnt done this before, why would it blink?

Kinda long, but im trying to give as much info as i can, Thanks in advance.

"Id rather say nothing and be thought a fool, then to say something and be known as one"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

RoninEclipse2GMay-17-10 03:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#130647, "RE: wont start / no spark. (Kinda long)"
In response to Reply # 0

Blinking CEL is a sign of missfire and/or knock IIRC.

Put a front O2 sensor on that thing. It's probably been stuck in "safe mode" and running pig rich.

Just dying and not starting again can be a lot of different issues, time to start hunting.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorbullettdsmMay-17-10 04:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#130648, "RE: wont start / no spark. (Kinda long)"
In response to Reply # 1
May-17-10 04:10 PM by bullettdsm

Spark, comp, fuel. What makes you say coil? Got spark? Got fuel? Got comp?

And what is it with you guys running without the front O2 lately? As Ronin said, replace....er no, install your front O2.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

97GS-TpalMay-20-10 11:32 PM
Member since Mar 10th 2010
13 posts,
#130675, "RE: wont start / no spark. (Kinda long)"
In response to Reply # 2

EDIT**

Ok so i got under the hood today, Checking ohm readings and electrical currents...looks like the majority of the connecters HAD power. The connecter that plugs into the ignition coil (that powers the spark plugs) did not have any juice running to it, which in turn didnt spark my plugs, makes sense. Only problem is, idk what or where that connector goes to or starts at. At this point, she wont even turn over any more, no lights come one, no wipers, radio wont even turn on. So basically it started from just that connector to now i have no power at all to my car...any suggestions?

* checked fuses, and i didnt see any that were popped

"Id rather say nothing and be thought a fool, then to say something and be known as one"

Ebster1085May-21-10 05:57 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#130679, "RE: wont start / no spark. (Kinda long)"
In response to Reply # 3
May-21-10 05:57 PM by Ebster1085

Thoroughly check all the wiring that runs near the EGR pipe. The pipe gets very hot and has a way of damaging wires in that area.

Make sure to look inside all the loom in that general area for any signs of damage.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #130644 Previous topic | Next topic