Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #10726
View in linear mode

Subject: "winding sound?" Previous topic | Next topic
9D9 MITSU RSDec-24-01 03:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10726, "winding sound?"

When my RPM's go up, my car has a whistle, like a turbo spooling sound or something like that. It's auto. Anyone else have this at higher RPM's? What the hell is it?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: winding sound?, Kaptain_Mike (Guest), Dec-24-01 05:28 PM, #1
RE: winding sound?, Ryan_RS, Dec-24-01 05:54 PM, #2
      RE: winding sound?, CVedEclipse, Dec-26-01 02:30 AM, #3
           RE: winding sound?, PowerEclipses, Dec-26-01 03:41 AM, #4
                RE: winding sound?, Breezio, Dec-26-01 04:21 AM, #5
                     RE: winding sound?, Eclipse550HP, Dec-26-01 10:23 AM, #6
                          RE: winding sound?, Ichiban, Dec-26-01 10:48 AM, #7
                               RE: winding sound?, 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-26-01 05:04 PM, #8
                                    RE: winding sound?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-26-01 06:47 PM, #9
                                         RE: winding sound?, Clay, Dec-26-01 08:42 PM, #10
                                         RE: winding sound?, thedawg, Dec-27-01 09:19 AM, #11
                                              RE: winding sound?, 1TuffRS, Dec-27-01 11:39 AM, #12

Kaptain_Mike (Guest)Dec-24-01 05:28 PM

#10727, "RE: winding sound?"
In response to Reply # 0

i get that sometimes... i dunno.

admin@dsmscene.com
http://www.heavenz-not-0verflowing.com/kaptainkillgore/index.htm
"Anything in parenthesis can (not) be ignored."

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Ryan_HesDec-24-01 05:54 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10728, "RE: winding sound?"
In response to Reply # 1

It's your intake. Even if you don't have an intake, it's the stock intake box.

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

CVedEclipseDec-26-01 02:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#10729, "RE: winding sound?"
In response to Reply # 2

is it coming from the engine? or is it coming throught the speakers? when my radio is way down, i can hear the whine, which sounds like a turbo. hehe

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

PowerEclipsesDec-26-01 03:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#10730, "RE: winding sound?"
In response to Reply # 3

your stereo... lol check your ground for your stereo and make sure you dont have ANY RCAs near your capacitor if you have one

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

BreezioDec-26-01 04:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4863 posts,
#10731, "RE: winding sound?"
In response to Reply # 4

my 420A SOHC whistled above 5 grand... sounds cool.. and no, it wasn't the radio. did it when i gad the stock intake and when i had the aftermarket one... i figured it was just the valvetrain.

Eclipse550HPDec-26-01 10:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
625 posts,
#10732, "RE: winding sound?"
In response to Reply # 5

Mine does that all the time, People think my car is turbo because of it

Before

After

IchibanDec-26-01 10:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
238 posts,
#10733, "RE: winding sound?"
In response to Reply # 6

If it's the speakers, it's a ground loop and can be easily fixed with a small item from radio shack or better RCA cables.

Christian
06 GG IX MR SE
http://www.ichibanracing.com/ is DOWN!! In between hosts.

9D9 MITSU RSDec-26-01 05:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#10734, "RE: winding sound?"
In response to Reply # 7

it's the turbo. Na, I'm sure it's probably the intake. Kicks in above 4500 RPMs.

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-26-01 06:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#10735, "RE: winding sound?"
In response to Reply # 8

When I had my NT, I would hear a funny noise about 5k rpms. Kinda sounded like it was coming from somewhere in the dash behind the hvac controls.
Was told it was nothing and to not worry about it. It was also A/T.

-Tony 98'GST

http://eclipzgst.dyndns.org
AIM: YNOT420247

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

ClayDec-26-01 08:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1790 posts,
#10736, "RE: winding sound?"
In response to Reply # 9

Don't worry about it. I get it too, around 4-7 k right? It sounds so sweet. Kinda like a space ship zooming by .

95 GST | So-Cal

thedawgDec-27-01 09:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#10737, "RE: winding sound?"
In response to Reply # 9

Whoah, ok now I know what you're talking about. Yes, I've heard that noise too... Happened to me when the car was really hot after driving hard, both at high rpm, and sometimes at idle for a while. I'm A/T too.

So I actually had my gf drive while I climbed around under the dash looking for it. It was coming from the silver heatsink-finned? box that looks like the ECU. Its right behind and below the Air conditioning system, and partially visible if youre upside down in the passenger floorboard.

The box was HOT and vibrating a little. I can only assume it's some part of the engine computer, and maybe if it controls the fuel pump, that'd explain the humming. It'd also explain why the noise went away when I went turbo (no more load on the stock FP).

Anyways, that answer satisfied me. Just a guess, fwiw.

Dan Green
99'RS-T (A/T)

1TuffRSDec-27-01 11:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#10738, "RE: winding sound?"
In response to Reply # 11

Its just the intake man, I get it all the time. Its even louder once you get rid of the stock intake. I like it personally

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #10726 Previous topic | Next topic