Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #105922
View in linear mode

Subject: "catch can install" Previous topic | Next topic
twinvengesAug-29-07 05:04 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2007
74 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105922, "catch can install"

i was doing some searchin and i think this is the setup that may work best for me. ill be runnin ~15psi

there will be a breather also on the can.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6452891

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: catch can install, foggy45, Aug-29-07 07:36 PM, #1
RE: catch can install, twinvenges, Aug-29-07 08:18 PM, #2
      RE: catch can install, foggy45, Aug-30-07 04:48 AM, #3
           RE: catch can install, WickedESi, Aug-30-07 03:20 PM, #4
                RE: catch can install, totaleclipse_05, Aug-30-07 04:12 PM, #5
                RE: catch can install, WickedESi, Aug-30-07 05:28 PM, #6
                     RE: catch can install, totaleclipse_05, Aug-30-07 05:43 PM, #7
                          RE: catch can install, WickedESi, Aug-31-07 07:53 AM, #8
                RE: catch can install, wickedtalon, Aug-31-07 10:10 AM, #9
                     RE: catch can install, WickedESi, Sep-01-07 12:42 PM, #10
                          RE: catch can install, totaleclipse_05, Sep-01-07 09:41 PM, #11
                               RE: catch can install, WickedESi, Sep-02-07 05:05 AM, #12
                               RE: catch can install, foggy45, Sep-02-07 07:18 AM, #13

foggy45Aug-29-07 07:36 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105926, "RE: catch can install"
In response to Reply # 0
Aug-29-07 07:38 PM by foggy45

the way the pic looks to me is that you have it "Y"ed from the PCV valve, and one goes to the VC and the other to the Catch can.

why even have the "Y" there? just have both lines coming off the VC and going to the can, then have a line from the can going back to the intake manifold?
the whole reason the can is there is to catch oil, if you put the "Y" in there then some of the blowby will bypass the can all together.

if you want a true crankcase evacuation then i would think about mounting the suction line to either the Exhaust system or to the intake pipe to the turbine compresor. that will give your evacuation benifit most all the time then.

like this: except that when i get my manifold and downpipe finished then i will have a spot to mount the line from the can where the breather now sits

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

twinvengesAug-29-07 08:18 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2007
74 posts,
#105927, "RE: catch can install"
In response to Reply # 1

thats how i intially thought t was supposed to be as well, but as i was reading, many said a check/pcv had to be in plase as well? inmy drawing, i left stock pcv in there, so when it saw boost and closed, all the gasses/oil would g to the can and not the mani. if i set it up your way will i see any perfomance loss due to the lack of oil left for scavenging?

foggy45Aug-30-07 04:48 AM
1032 posts,
#105933, "RE: catch can install"
In response to Reply # 2

yes you are right, if you use the vacuum source off the can as the intake manifold then there needs to be a check valve so you dont presurise your crankcase.

the only time that the crankcase will vent would be under vacuum anyway (off boost) so you wont notice any effects from not scavanging any of what was in the crankcase

so yeah, if you want to keep the valve id use it as part of the return from the can then.

DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

WickedESiAug-30-07 03:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#105949, "RE: catch can install"
In response to Reply # 3
Aug-30-07 03:24 PM by WickedESi

I use a large Kobalt air compressor filter/dryer, w/ the element removed. Works great. I usually have the other end plumbed into the exhaust for a crankcase evacuation. But in the pic I'm running the downpipe open for a track day, so I don't have my exhaust connection. Turbo applications I would leave the PCV valve off, and not route back into the intake, just vent it.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

totaleclipse_05Aug-30-07 04:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#105950, "RE: catch can install"
In response to Reply # 4
Aug-30-07 04:13 PM by totaleclipse_05

Do you have any more pics of how your catchcan is hooked up Wicked? I kind of have an idea, but that strut bar is in the way.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

WickedESiAug-30-07 05:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#105951, "RE: catch can install"
In response to Reply # 5

The pic above is probably the best I have. Here's a high res pic of my engine bay at a lower angle.

http://www.mysterymeat.net/kard/enginebayhighres.jp g

Both the valve cover breath ports connect to the inlet on the compressor filter, that's all.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

totaleclipse_05Aug-30-07 05:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#105952, "RE: catch can install"
In response to Reply # 6

That's a neat little setup you got there. Any drawbacks to running it that way?

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

WickedESiAug-31-07 07:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#105957, "RE: catch can install"
In response to Reply # 7

You won't pass emissions if you have them in your state.

wickedtalonAug-31-07 10:10 AM
Member since Jan 04th 2002
978 posts,
#105961, "RE: catch can install"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by WickedESi
I use a large Kobalt air compressor filter/dryer, w/ the element removed. Works great. I usually have the other end plumbed into the exhaust for a crankcase evacuation. But in the pic I'm running the downpipe open for a track day, so I don't have my exhaust connection. Turbo applications I would leave the PCV valve off, and not route back into the intake, just vent it.

Nice horn

// Jim // 95 Talon / 99 Eclipse (sold)

Cincinnati,OH

WickedESiSep-01-07 12:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#105973, "RE: catch can install"
In response to Reply # 9

Haha, thanks.

totaleclipse_05Sep-01-07 09:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#105975, "RE: catch can install"
In response to Reply # 10

So running without a PCV valve off of the valve cover won't "hurt" it? Just plumb both the lines into a catch can?

Mike D

WickedESiSep-02-07 05:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#105977, "RE: catch can install"
In response to Reply # 11

That is correct.

foggy45Sep-02-07 07:18 AM
1032 posts,
#105978, "RE: catch can install"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by totaleclipse_05
So running without a PCV valve off of the valve cover won't "hurt" it? Just plumb both the lines into a catch can?

correct! but remember if you decide to plumb the can back to the manifold (or other source that may see +psi) you MUST have some sort of check valve inline or you'll presurise the whole system when you boost.

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #105922 Previous topic | Next topic