Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #104010
View in linear mode

Subject: "420A Capabilities" Previous topic | Next topic
Shadow2877Apr-24-07 05:31 PM
Member since Apr 15th 2007
67 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#104010, "420A Capabilities"
Apr-24-07 06:24 PM by Shadow2877

Hey everyone,

I see and hear of GS-T's and GSX's with 400-600 horse power and running great 1/4 times. I was underneath the hood of my car one night (fixing a brake light issue) when I thought to my self, "How much power can this engine really take?". Are our engines capable of the same horsepower as the 4G63 motor or will we eventually be forced to stop while the 4G63 moves on ahead?

I really want to be able to prove to the stubborn folks of DSMSource along with myself that it is worth building this engine up. Money is not to big of a concern with me, If it takes a few extra grand to be equal to or top the 4G63 then thats something I am willing to do. I would hate to have to sell my first car, because it is not capable of the same power as the 4G63's.

Thanks guys,
-Cody

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 420A Capabilities, Moderatorcs82685, Apr-24-07 06:41 PM, #1
RE: 420A Capabilities, Shadow2877, Apr-24-07 06:50 PM, #2
      RE: 420A Capabilities, Moderatorcs82685, Apr-24-07 06:53 PM, #3
           RE: 420A Capabilities, Shadow2877, Apr-24-07 06:57 PM, #4
                RE: 420A Capabilities, zestridge_, Apr-25-07 06:12 AM, #5
                     RE: 420A Capabilities, talon749, Apr-25-07 07:01 AM, #6
                     RE: 420A Capabilities, TeamDR1665, Apr-25-07 07:03 AM, #7
                          RE: 420A Capabilities, hs_elrod, Apr-25-07 02:48 PM, #8
                          RE: 420A Capabilities, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-26-07 08:36 AM, #9
                               RE: 420A Capabilities, Moderatorxcasbonx, Apr-26-07 01:20 PM, #10

Moderatorcs82685Apr-24-07 06:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#104011, "RE: 420A Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-24-07 06:43 PM by cs82685

Honestly, I feel the greater argument for the 4g63's is that they can support more power in stock form, and it's alot easier to run better times with the available awd than fwd.

Of course you can't do anything about the awd advantage, but once you build a motor properly, regardless of what motor it is, you should have the strength to make big power, then it all comes in the form of what you use to produce it (size turbo, etc.) and how well it is tuned.

Another advantage they have had until recently is tuning options, but now with the portfueler, or better yet, MSnS that advantage is lost. Hell, we had a members car who tuned the vehicle professionally make over 300whp on the stock motor and run mid 12's in the 1/4 mile. He has since built his motor and has already achieved an 11.0

Good hp numbers require a good tuner, and good times require a good driver, both of which can be achieved in any vehicle with enough time and money invested

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Shadow2877Apr-24-07 06:50 PM
67 posts,
#104012, "RE: 420A Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 1

Great points man,

Im so pleased to have found a site with people who think the same way I do on the 2GNT's. I think in the long run I will be much happyer investing money in my GS rather than scrap it and starting over.

Thanks bro,
-Cody

---------------------------------------
1997 Eclipse GS
Current Working On:
Suspension/Handling

Moderatorcs82685Apr-24-07 06:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#104013, "RE: 420A Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Shadow2877
Great points man, Im so pleased to have found a site with people who think the same way I do on the 2GNT's. I think in the long run I will be much happyer investing money in my GS rather than scrap it and starting over. Thanks bro, -Cody

You're welcome, and welcome to the site. This is the absolute best source for 2gnt related material and has the best members who won't give you the same old tiring 'sell it and buy a turbo' speech

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

Shadow2877Apr-24-07 06:57 PM
67 posts,
#104014, "RE: 420A Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by cs82685
Originally posted by Shadow2877 Great points man, Im so pleased to have found a site with people who think the same way I do on the 2GNT's. I think in the long run I will be much happyer investing money in my GS rather than scrap it and starting over. Thanks bro, -Cody
You're welcome, and welcome to the site. This is the absolute best source for 2gnt related material and has the best members who won't give you the same old tiring 'sell it and buy a turbo' speech

Lol yea I know what ya mean,

Thanks again,
-Cody

---------------------------------------
1997 Eclipse GS
Current Working On:
Suspension/Handling

zestridge_Apr-25-07 06:12 AM
Member since Apr 04th 2007
39 posts,
#104017, "RE: 420A Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 4

I know what you mean man, Every site I went to, I was totld to sell it, sell it, sell it. I started doing a lot of research on here and Ive decided to rebuild my motor, which should be complete in about 2 weeks. Throw a turbo on it and some tuning and Im sure in a couple of years I should be running quite quick..

talon749Apr-25-07 07:01 AM
Member since Jul 13th 2005
421 posts,
#104019, "RE: 420A Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 5

people always say the 420a isn't worth it, which is totally ignorant, I have known plenty of people with 4g63t engines that took them up to 20psi on stock form and have caused serious damage, both are good engines, you just have to know what your doing, the 420a is supposedly to be a superior design, and yes Chrysler knows how to make an engine, look at their magnum line up, and the srt4! This was a non-turbo engine that was supposed to run as NA, and be efficient, I hardly think people turning them to run a turbo is anything to joke about, in all actuality we probably know a little more about our cars then most 4g63t drivers, all they need to do is bolts, where as to make good reliable HP we need to tear the engine apart.

-Keith

'92 BMW 325i - 3.91 LSD....Cold air intake....M52 headers.....Track pipe....Remus back....Fan Delete....UUC short throw...M3 Clutch Flywheel & Drive Shaft...Tien Coil overs

I <3 the twisties

TeamDR1665Apr-25-07 07:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#104020, "RE: 420A Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 5
Apr-25-07 07:05 AM by DR1665

Welcome aboard, fellas.

Perhaps the most important concept the seasoned guys can share with you is the importance of setting goals along the way for your project. Don't get into this expecting to have a 400whp ground pounder that's dipping into the 12s every weekend without a serious investment of time, energy, and money. You'll find that road to be a hell ride resulting in you looking at other cars for sale.

Keep an eye on your dream DSM at the top of the mountain, but pay attention to the steps you take along the way that get you there. Keep your focus, but have fun along the way. The more fun you have doing this, and being a part of this community, the longer you will be in the game, and the more you will get out of your experience.

Cheers.

EDIT:
And now enjoy all the gay jokes and shit-talking that usually follows my more enthusiastic posts. Paging deej...

hs_elrodApr-25-07 02:48 PM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
159 posts,
#104023, "RE: 420A Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by DR1665
Welcome aboard, fellas. Perhaps the most important concept the seasoned guys can share with you is the importance of setting goals along the way for your project. Don't get into this expecting to have a 400whp ground pounder that's dipping into the 12s every weekend without a serious investment of time, energy, and money. You'll find that road to be a hell ride resulting in you looking at other cars for sale. Keep an eye on your dream DSM at the top of the mountain, but pay attention to the steps you take along the way that get you there. Keep your focus, but have fun along the way. The more fun you have doing this, and being a part of this community, the longer you will be in the game, and the more you will get out of your experience. Cheers. EDIT: And now enjoy all the gay jokes and shit-talking that usually follows my more enthusiastic posts. Paging deej...

Amen Driggs. Fuck the nay sayers. Encouragement and advice is what this site is best at.

RoninEclipse2GApr-26-07 08:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#104031, "RE: 420A Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by DR1665
Welcome aboard, fellas. Perhaps the most important concept the seasoned guys can share with you is the importance of setting goals along the way for your project. Don't get into this expecting to have a 400whp ground pounder that's dipping into the 12s every weekend without a serious investment of time, energy, and money. You'll find that road to be a hell ride resulting in you looking at other cars for sale. Keep an eye on your dream DSM at the top of the mountain, but pay attention to the steps you take along the way that get you there. Keep your focus, but have fun along the way. The more fun you have doing this, and being a part of this community, the longer you will be in the game, and the more you will get out of your experience. Cheers. EDIT: And now enjoy all the gay jokes and shit-talking that usually follows my more enthusiastic posts. Paging deej...

+1 beautiful advice man!

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

ModeratorxcasbonxApr-26-07 01:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#104033, "RE: 420A Capabilities"
In response to Reply # 9

Ohhh how this thread brings a tear to my eye...

Welcome to 2GNT guys.

I contributed to the Wiki.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #104010 Previous topic | Next topic