Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #102211
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?" Previous topic | Next topic
thedawgDec-09-06 06:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#102211, "Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"

I accidentally used some Bosch (fr8dc) European spark plugs in a new engine I just built. It started up and ran like crap for about 4 minutes, then died.

Just figured out the plug thing, and now with brand new NGK BKR6ES-11 (stock 420a) plugs, it refuses to fire up again. No more spark. I gave it over an hour to evaporate with open holes, so it's not flooded. Fuel, compression, and cranking are fine.

And yes Terry, I realize of all the people on this board I should be the last one to fuck up my spark plugs. Enjoy the laugh.

My question is, assuming the plugs burned something out electrically, what did I break? Any other ideas?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-09-06 07:25 PM, #1
RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-11-06 10:35 AM, #2
      RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, thedawg, Dec-11-06 06:47 PM, #3
           RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-11-06 09:47 PM, #4
                RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, Keith2172, Dec-12-06 05:02 AM, #5
                     RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, thedawg, Dec-12-06 06:47 AM, #6
                     RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, Chamuko, Dec-12-06 07:12 AM, #8
                     RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, Chamuko, Dec-12-06 07:11 AM, #7
                          RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, Keith2172, Dec-12-06 12:39 PM, #9
                               RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, thedawg, Dec-13-06 05:58 AM, #10
                                    RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, Chamuko, Dec-13-06 07:42 AM, #11
                                         RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, Keith2172, Dec-13-06 08:22 AM, #12
                                              RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, thedawg, Dec-13-06 06:00 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, TeamDR1665, Dec-14-06 07:42 AM, #14
                                                        RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, Keith2172, Dec-14-06 01:48 PM, #15
                                                        RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, thedawg, Dec-16-06 07:15 PM, #16
                                                             RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, ez, Dec-18-06 09:43 AM, #17
                                                                  RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?, thedawg, Dec-18-06 12:44 PM, #18

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-09-06 07:25 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#102212, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 0
Dec-09-06 07:26 PM by Star Turbo Talon

Sorry, i find nothing amusing about your misfortune. Any shots i would throw at you would be at your lack of an answer since you know oh so much........

All sarciasm aside, the only thing I can see failing would be the secondary windings of the coil. Since the coil is nothing more than a transformer, changes to the impedance could damage the windings. Honestly, i think something else is wrong. I wouldnt expect the coil to fail that easily. You didnt disturb the coil plug or any other plugs did you? Are you getting spark, fuel?

What is the resistance across those european plugs? I have never checked a stock set of 420a'a but I think I just might.

Terry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-11-06 10:35 AM
8331 posts,
#102232, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 1

Well? What happened?

This is a good one I am curious as to what happened.

thedawgDec-11-06 06:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#102240, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 2

Well 90% of the problem was the two white wires that attach to the positive terminal of the battery were just corroded enough to stop making contact. Cleaning all the terminals up with a wire brush fixed that.

I think either my multimeter is broken, or neither the Euro nor 2gnt plugs had any resistance across them. At any rate the coil checked out OK.

The last 10% of the problem (and why the car died after 4 mins) is because the gas cap turned out to be bad and the gas tank had evaporated. Yes I'm dumb.

I've got some bad misfiring/rough running action going on now I'm figuring out, but I'm guessing (praying) the injectors got clogged with bad gas goo.

On the upside, I killed 4 black widows in the engine compartment with WD40 and a lighter. Almost made a vfaq on that topic for the wiki but couldn't find the camera.

all around. At least there's another 420a on the road now.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-11-06 09:47 PM
8331 posts,
#102243, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 3

Talk about bad coincidence all at the same time

Keith2172Dec-12-06 05:02 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#102245, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 4

Meh, our minds get the better of all of us sometimes. Glad you got it figured out, now would be a time to suggest a back burner project of mine.

As I'm to understand, all a shop does with an injector cleaning is cycle the injectors rapidly in solution until they flow what they should. With that idea in mind, if one had a given volume of solution and an accurate timer, as well as something that would cycle the injectors where they could set opening/closing rates *cough*MegaSquirt*cough* then one wouldn't need to take the injectors to a shop to clean them. Sure you're not getting a nice printout of what your injectors are flowing, but you can visually inspect to see if the spray pattern is what you want and know how long it takes to empty a one liter of toluelene. That's the extent of relevance I have on the subject.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

thedawgDec-12-06 06:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#102246, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 5

And as DSM law clearly states... just as I got one running, the other one died. The 99 just blew its TC and is now parked in its new home at work.

Good idea Keith, I usually just hookup a 9v battery and a little hose to dribble acetone thru the injector. I have a couple extra fuel rails, wouldn't be too hard to rig something a little more pressurized.

ChamukoDec-12-06 07:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#102248, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 6

I thought those spark plugs looked similar... arnt a version of those used on beatles and some on Wankels?

I beleive there is no was a plug can damage your car that bad, just didnt have time to reply. I should call bosch's tech dep... im curious now.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

ChamukoDec-12-06 07:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#102247, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Keith2172
Meh, our minds get the better of all of us sometimes. Glad you got it figured out, now would be a time to suggest a back burner project of mine. As I'm to understand, all a shop does with an injector cleaning is cycle the injectors rapidly in solution until they flow what they should. With that idea in mind, if one had a given volume of solution and an accurate timer, as well as something that would cycle the injectors where they could set opening/closing rates *cough*MegaSquirt*cough* then one wouldn't need to take the injectors to a shop to clean them. Sure you're not getting a nice printout of what your injectors are flowing, but you can visually inspect to see if the spray pattern is what you want and know how long it takes to empty a one liter of toluelene. That's the extent of relevance I have on the subject.

You can do this in a plexyglass (pref something that can withstand the chemical your working with) and using common hydraulic laws calculate flow rate. A basic stamp with a simple circuit can control the inkectors well enough for our project vehicles... it works well on the bench as well. Its not that hard, do it all the time at school.

You can also make a hydraulic system and use it as a dyno One step ahead of ya keith

Member # 751

(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Keith2172Dec-12-06 12:39 PM
1281 posts,
#102249, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 7

Just cause you're all edumakated and stuff you think you're better than me...you are when you gonna come down and let me screw-up, er, um, weld together that flex section?

bummer on the TC Dan, I just saw your post in the FS/WTB section, wish I had a spare... you know Jake might

thedawgDec-13-06 05:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#102261, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 9

Cool, one of the stock injectors was cracked and one was clogged, threw in some pintile Ford 200cc injectors (instead of stock 235cc) for now that work great.

Next stop, CA smog, yay.

ChamukoDec-13-06 07:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#102264, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 10

jake has his beefy ass TQ converter. I do remember him saying he has a used one, milage wasnt high. Im heading to the garage in an hour or so... No heater in there lol.

Member # 751

Keith2172Dec-13-06 08:22 AM
1281 posts,
#102265, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 11

Ivan, you live in southern CA, how cold could it be?

Good luck on the smog Dan, glad you found the problem (if you need a couple spare stocks I've got some at home, shoot me a line and I'll see about getting them to you )

thedawgDec-13-06 06:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#102274, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 12
Dec-13-06 06:01 PM by thedawg

This car is more drama than I want right now.

Got CEL 51 / Fuel system too lean today, but it's kicking out black smoke under acceleration. Gonna try another o2 sensor per forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=26357&mesg_id=26357&listing_type=search

I also got laughed out of a smog check test-only station today. They didn't even ask me to pay. They were trying to use wheel chocks to keep the car from bucking off the dyno.

TeamDR1665Dec-14-06 07:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#102276, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 13

Damn, Dan. Fighting you at every turn! Press on! You'll get there.

All this talk of Jake in this thread... Jake as in Way Too Fast racing Jake? With the purple Neon?

Keith2172Dec-14-06 01:48 PM
1281 posts,
#102278, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 14

Jake as in Infit3, the self-proclaimed ATX God. He's got a sick ATX he built from scratch with a hell of a stall in it. Sad thing is the motor gave and I haven't heard about it since.

thedawgDec-16-06 07:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#102314, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 14

Well it passed smog today.
HC @ 25mph: Max=49, Avg=13, Measured=49

Hopefully this is the end of what has been two years of plain bad luck.

ezDec-18-06 09:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#102331, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 16
Dec-18-06 09:43 AM by ez

Originally posted by thedawg
Well it passed smog today. HC @ 25mph: Max=49, Avg=13, Measured=49 Hopefully this is the end of what has been two years of plain bad luck.

dood is this the white RS? finally, lol

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

thedawgDec-18-06 12:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#102334, "RE: Wrong spark plugs, what'd I blow?"
In response to Reply # 17
Dec-18-06 12:47 PM by thedawg

No this is the Black talon rally car I've been hiding in my garage for 2 years with a hydrolocked engine. (Not to be confused with the clean talon Tsi I used to daily drive, lol)

The White eclipse just ate its torque convertor in a fit of jealousy, and died for the 4th time.

Since the talon is now my daily driver, it's happyfuntoys will have to stay in the garage a little longer.

Yes I have a hard time figuring out which car keys to use...

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #102211 Previous topic | Next topic