Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #885
View in linear mode

Subject: "UDP Cause Crankwalk?" Previous topic | Next topic
alexriesApr-19-01 06:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#885, "UDP Cause Crankwalk?"

Hey I called my local performance shop to ask them if they can order me up an AFX UDP and the guy to me that they don't sell or install them because they "drastically" increase the likelyhood of crankwalk. Is this true? I haven't heard anyone on this board complain about that, and I don't think that we'd all be doing/wanting UDP's if it did, right?

Thanks ahead of time

Coo'
1997 RS
Autometer A/F Gauge
Trust Shiftknob
Trust EVO Exhaust
'tis it

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?, eclipsekaiser, Apr-19-01 07:35 PM, #1
RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?, phrenzy, Apr-19-01 10:10 PM, #2
      RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?, klipzracer, Apr-19-01 11:27 PM, #3
           RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?, MWC, Apr-20-01 12:48 AM, #4
                RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-20-01 01:25 AM, #5
                     RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?, klipzracer, Apr-20-01 02:30 AM, #6
                     RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-20-01 05:30 AM, #7
                     RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?, DAVE_FL (Guest), Apr-20-01 07:15 AM, #8
                          RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?, alexries, Apr-20-01 07:25 AM, #9
                               RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?, mike95rs, Apr-20-01 08:35 AM, #10
                                    RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-20-01 09:05 AM, #11
                                         I agree..., Skrilla, Apr-20-01 01:55 PM, #12
                                         RE: I agree..., RSin oRACLe, Apr-20-01 02:10 PM, #13
                                              RE: I agree..., jZa, Apr-22-01 09:34 AM, #15
                                         I'll second that, ModeratorVX100, Apr-21-01 06:35 AM, #14

eclipsekaiserApr-19-01 07:35 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#886, "RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?"
In response to Reply # 0

I say to call back that shop and tell them they are full of $hit.

-K-

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

phrenzyApr-19-01 10:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
684 posts,
#887, "RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?"
In response to Reply # 1

AHHHHHHHH!!! Do not use that word here...we are here to avoid that word. I've never heard of such a thing. Might they be confusing you with a 4G6 person?

'99 Eclipse GS
yeah, I know...they called me and said "they don't make those is gunmetal 5 lug" grrrrrrr.

http://www.rokitlabs.com

Old School 2GNTer
Now rockin an 05 SRT-4

klipzracerApr-19-01 11:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#888, "RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?"
In response to Reply # 2

hmmm...i'm not exactly a 420A engine guru but maybe we should be open minded about this. could this be possible??? stan??? skrilla???? anybody??? or maybe he was a dumbfuck and was thinking all eclipses sported the 4g63.

Chris
Project RS
Uncle Ben's Motorsports
http://klipzracer.homestead.com/index.html
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

MWCApr-20-01 12:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
251 posts,
#889, "RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?"
In response to Reply # 3

NO not possible.
The crank walk issue is Isolated only within the 4G63 motors, if anything the guy at the shop might have been trying to say that the balancing issue with the Under drive pulley might cause main bearings to go bad. This has been discused on the board before and I belive this is not the case with our design of the motor.
As stated we would have heard somthing by now, the fact of the matter is Howell Automotive sells qulity products and uses them as well, along with a large portion of fellow 2GNTer's on this board. So fear not! But as far as C$#@K walk, never heard of it on the 420A motor.
SEE YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!MWC

http://smkn95eclipsemwc.homestead.com/mainpage.html

TeamMichael_97RSApr-20-01 01:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#890, "RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?"
In response to Reply # 4

Ahhh another machanic who thinks we have a harmonic balancer. To what MWC said Ditto. The problem was with the bearings and crank on the 2G64. And since we don't share those parts we're okay. It's an isolated problem I don't know that the term crankwalk existed before the 2G GS-T/GS-X motor came out, I'd never heard the term prior to that. Bearing failure and crankwalk are two different things. Don't worry about the UDP you'll be fine I love mine and there are plenty of people here who have been running them for a while with no sign of problems. And just an FYI a heavy duty clutch (ATC 2600 is infamous) will induce crankwalk faster than a UDP on the Turbo cars.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

klipzracerApr-20-01 02:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#891, "RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?"
In response to Reply # 5

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.......i feel much better, now.

Chris
Project RS
Uncle Ben's Motorsports
http://klipzracer.homestead.com/index.html
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

TeamMichael_97RSApr-20-01 05:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#892, "RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?"
In response to Reply # 6

Glad we could put your mind at ease klipzracer.

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

DAVE_FL (Guest)Apr-20-01 07:15 AM

#893, "RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?"
In response to Reply # 5

I was just thinking about how valuable this board is to us. People on here know more than most machanics about our cars and the 420a and as far as turboing our cars foget about it. This is the best place for information. I dont know what I would do with out this board. And as far as the crankwalk thing......That guy must have been smoking crack!!!!

DAVE_FL
97GS
AEM CAI
AFX PULLEY
AFX solid motor mount
Magnaflow exhaust
Sparkco 9mm wires
Eibach Pro Kit
tokico shocks
Altezzas
A Badass sound system
Indiglows,neons,and all that good stuff...hehe

alexriesApr-20-01 07:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#894, "RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?"
In response to Reply # 8

The guy I talked to did mention something about a "harmonic balancer" but he didn't know if our 420a had one or not. I didn't know what the F he was talking about so I went with it.
I also told him right off the bat that I needed it for the NT Eclipse, so he knew what I wanted. Anyway thanks for the help I'm defenitely gonna gets me one of thems (AFX UDP's that is).

Coo'
1997 RS
Trust EVO Exhaust
'tis it

mike95rsApr-20-01 08:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
21 posts,
#895, "RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?"
In response to Reply # 9

the upd "could" cause your main bearings to wear out a little prematurly. The reason the stock one is so heavy is because it has a damper in it that takes stress off the crank, but even with out the damper it doesn't have that much stress. If your really woried about it AEM has upd's that go on the altenator and psp instead of the crank, but there alot more expensive, I think around $500. I would go with the afx.

TeamMichael_97RSApr-20-01 09:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#896, "RE: UDP Cause Crankwalk?"
In response to Reply # 10

I have to disagree a little. The reason the stock unitl so heavy is that it's much cheaper to make one out of cast iron than it is out of aluminum. Which is where the weight is. all the damper is is a rubber ring to cut some of the vibration down because there is such weight in the pulley. Yeah you may get a little more vibration on the crank. But you also are putting less stress on the crank and bearing due to the smaller weigh being turned. I have one and the car runs smoother since the install.

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:

SkrillaApr-20-01 01:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#897, "I agree..."
In response to Reply # 11

With AFX installed I feel our engine will last longer from less stress. The perfect example is Len. He has been running his car pressurized for years now with one and even makes 400% over stock HP AND uses the AFX UDP. I'm convinced The AFX would do everything to help our engines as opposed to hurt.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

RSin oRACLeApr-20-01 02:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
154 posts,
#898, "RE: I agree..."
In response to Reply # 12

the systems that the udp run are not essential .. they are basically accesories .. so with that in mind spending less power on them will with out a doubt cause less stress to the engine ... unless of course your foot is trapped in the throttle body ..lol

why not the afx and the aem pulleys ? who cares if my lights dim when i idle ... lol that would be funny ... stop at a light blast my radio and turn on my ac ... my shit would stall lol

oRACLe
oRACLe063@hotmail.com
AeM sHORt RaM
uNORTh pULLEy
NgK pLUGs
167 mile auto tranny
Slamming stock 14" rims
Huge ass stock muffler
Cuzo sidemarkers
Modded EurOs
Clear Corners
Mitsubishi seat belt covers (red and black)
custom cig burn hole mod
flux capasitor
old snapple bottle
misc. gum wrappers
shiny mitsubishi chrome license plate cover
autobot sticker

Unorthadox racing pulley
Aem short ram intake
Apex-i N1 cat-back(2.5)
Nakiyama flat black euro tails
Black projection headlights
Oz m

jZaApr-22-01 09:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#899, "RE: I agree..."
In response to Reply # 13

>
who cares
>if my lights dim when
>i idle ... lol that
>would be funny ... stop
>at a light blast my
>radio and turn on my
>ac ... my shit would
>stall lol
>

hehehe i feel ya

javi d
vroom n' boom
bone-stock dsm performance

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

ModeratorVX100Apr-21-01 06:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#900, "I'll second that"
In response to Reply # 11

Same here, after the AFX UDP install my car ran smoother. Also, now I don't have to choose between acceleration and A/C, I can have both and I can drive around in 5th gear at 1500 rpms without the car lugging; before I wouldn't have gone below 2K rpms in 3rd-5th before the pulley. I can't imagine not having it on now.

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.803 @ 86.48 MPH

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #885 Previous topic | Next topic