Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #51893
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about porting intake manfold?" Previous topic | Next topic
likestoflooritMay-26-03 03:10 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
397 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#51893, "Question about porting intake manfold?"

Hey what type of bit do i use on my dremmal??? and can i port the part where my MP TB is connected to the intake manafold??? Or does this have to be done by a machine? thx

97 Rs 5sp
-Intake
-Front upper strut bar
-Tint 20% o yeah
-Coilovers/KYB ADJ
-60mm TB
-P&P intake mani
-Cat Back System.
-Funny Rims?? dont lie
~likestofloorit.. (1/4=16.258)(60=2.363)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, TeamMetalJim, May-26-03 06:48 PM, #1
RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, 510eclipse, May-26-03 08:33 PM, #2
      RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, juggalo, May-26-03 10:02 PM, #3
           RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, TeamMetalJim, May-26-03 10:30 PM, #4
                RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, TalonSpeed, May-27-03 05:04 AM, #5
                RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, 510eclipse, May-27-03 05:53 PM, #9
                RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, juggalo, May-27-03 05:06 AM, #6
                     RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, a_miller_76, May-27-03 05:45 AM, #7
                          RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, juggalo, May-27-03 06:24 AM, #8
                               RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, likestofloorit, May-30-03 02:11 PM, #10
                                    RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, juggalo, May-30-03 08:58 PM, #11
                                         RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, 510eclipse, May-31-03 09:41 AM, #12
                                              RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, likestofloorit, May-31-03 11:39 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, ughhhead, Jul-16-03 11:06 AM, #14
                                                        RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, wakeboard99, Jul-16-03 11:27 AM, #15
                                                             RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, ez, Jul-16-03 12:44 PM, #16
                                                                  RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, Sorry_i_Win, Jul-16-03 04:48 PM, #17
                                                                       RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, Wtngclan, Jul-16-03 05:21 PM, #18
                                                                            RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, vegasdsmr, Jul-16-03 07:21 PM, #19
                                                                                 RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, wakeboard99, Jul-17-03 03:20 AM, #20
                                                                                      RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, ughhhead, Jul-17-03 01:39 PM, #21
                                                                                           RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, likestofloorit, Jul-18-03 11:34 AM, #22
                                                                                                RE: Question about porting intake manfold?, TeamDR1665, Jul-21-03 05:21 AM, #23
                                                                                                     QUEASTION!!! about porting intake manfold?, coppereclipse95, Jul-22-03 09:17 AM, #24
                                                                                                          RE: QUEASTION!!! about porting intake manfold?, TeamDR1665, Jul-22-03 11:43 AM, #25
                                                                                                               RE: QUEASTION!!! about porting intake manfold?, 510eclipse, Jul-22-03 07:19 PM, #26

TeamMetalJimMay-26-03 06:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#51901, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 0

I use a Dremel to port pretty much everything.

Bit 112 is great for horking it out to the shape you want.

Bit 952 is great for getting it smoothed out.

And the 511 abrasive buffs are good for getting it really smoothed out.

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

510eclipseMay-26-03 08:33 PM
Member since May 12th 2002
424 posts,
#51913, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 1

yup, those are what i use, and just dont forget, a little is a lot, don't do a lot in one area at once. gasket match everything so you get the most out of your porting. take the sensors off before you get started. clean it out really well with carb cleaner or something before putting the intake mani/tb back on your car. if you do your exhaust mani, its not quite so critical because its all just going to blow out of your cars ass anyways, but id till clean it out for the most part as well before re-installing. dont do any porting to your engine/block, have that done at a shop. if you ever think your really talented with the porting, you can maybe think about plugging up the holes with some rags and portmatching your exhausts ports on the block to the exhaust mani/gasket. happy porting, enjoy the endless hours of boredom just keep thinking "hp" and wear ear plugs at least sometimes to keep the headaches down.

juggaloMay-26-03 10:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#51918, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 2

i use the little wire-wheel brushes too.

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

TeamMetalJimMay-26-03 10:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#51921, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 3

To finish up?

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

TalonSpeedMay-27-03 05:04 AM
Member since Oct 15th 2002
446 posts,
#51932, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 4

Everyone says gasket match this, and gasket match that. Gasket companies dont know anything about flow. What they do know is to make that gasket big enough that it wont restrict flow and make the gasket good for sealing.

Port only accordingly to how your head is ported.

510eclipseMay-27-03 05:53 PM
424 posts,
#51988, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 5

>Everyone says gasket match this, and gasket match that.
>Gasket companies dont know anything about flow. What they do
>know is to make that gasket big enough that it wont restrict
>flow and make the gasket good for sealing.
>
>Port only accordingly to how your head is ported.

well no you see, obviously youve never gasket matched considering your firmly against it, but honestly there is nothing dramatic about it. it has absolutely nothing to do with using the the gasket as a diagram for perfect flow size/shape. it's simply an easy way of assuring an identical mating surface between the two parts separated by that gasket. which WILL improve flow in these cases.

perhaps you already know the process but just for example what you would do is: take the gasket, line it up perfectly with the bolt holes, trace the gasket holes onto your intake manifold, then take the same gasket, line it up on the throttle body perfectly with the bolt holes like you just did, and trace the hole on there. then, you port it to match the tracing, and be very critical about tightening up everything with the gasket in there the way you need it. boom, now your throttle body and intake manifold have a perfect fit with no restrictions. like i said thats just an example, infact now that i think about it, our stock intake mani's and tb's might match up perfect to begin with. but this definately serves a purpose in at least some applications.

juggaloMay-27-03 05:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#51933, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 4

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

a_miller_76May-27-03 05:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#51934, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 6

Don't try to port it to match that MP throttle body unless you take it and have material added around that bottleneck. The exterior diameter of that bottle neck is barely over 60mm and you'll have a big gash (it happened to someoneon this board)

juggaloMay-27-03 06:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#51938, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 7

i have mine matched to the 60mm jeep TB with plenty of manifold left

likestoflooritMay-30-03 02:11 PM
397 posts,
#52198, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 8

Should i take off my intake mani to port match it with the TB or is it better to leave it on there??

97 Rs 5sp
-Intake
-Front upper strut bar
-Tint 20% o yeah
-Coilovers/KYB ADJ
-60mm TB
-P&P intake mani
-Cat Back System.
-Funny Rims?? dont lie

juggaloMay-30-03 08:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#52227, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 10

take it off

510eclipseMay-31-03 09:41 AM
424 posts,
#52245, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 11

lets just say this, my nearly stock 96 rs will woop the shit out of any stock 2gnt. and i really dont think its because of the good suspension, the cat back, a cone filter on my stock intake tubing, and my heavy 16" stock wheels. i think it becomes impressive with the addition of porting the hell out of the throttle body and upper intake manifold. after 4k, i scream. walked a toyota celica gts several times on the fwy last saturday night, i think he had a fart can and altezza's woohoo. my silencer was in too so it was really restricted in the high end (but comfy on the fwy). porting does something.

likestoflooritMay-31-03 11:39 PM
397 posts,
#52307, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 12

One last thing is it hard to take off the intake mani?? And if i do screw the intake mani up by putting a whole in it..what do i put over it to fix the whole? Was it aluminum or JB weld? haha thx guys

97 Rs 5sp
-Intake
-Front upper strut bar
-Tint 20% o yeah
-Coilovers/KYB ADJ
-60mm TB
-P&P intake mani
-Cat Back System.
-Funny Rims?? dont lie

ughhheadJul-16-03 11:06 AM
Member since Jul 05th 2003
775 posts,
#55374, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 13

somebody respond to this man!!! lol, i was rivited to my computer screen reading this thread. this has got some great information in it. i'm going to be doing the jeep tb and porting the bejesus out of the intake manifold. so somebody keep this thread goin'.

wakeboard99Jul-16-03 11:27 AM
Member since Apr 15th 2003
65 posts,
#55376, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 14

Me...OOHH LLEEETTT ME!!

Dude.. really. Do you know what a junk yard is? If you say no.. don't post again.. but i'm gonna presume that you do. Go down there, i'll promise you that you will find a 2gnt sitting somewhere, with it's intake manifold firmly attactched to the engine.

Excellent practice.. take it off, so you know what you are doing on your car (it requires the removal of injectors, a bunch of vacume hoses, map sensor, the TB .. am i missin anything?? ) the you have a spare Intake to mess with. you can take your time on it.. and if you mess it up, go pick up another one for 12 bucks.

If this all sounds like too much to handle.. go to your engine shop.. and let him charge you 300+... have fun

Stage III HRC
8.5:1 compression
12 psi @ 2300 rpm
fully built engine..
oo.. and it goes vroom

best et. 14.49 @ 101

ezJul-16-03 12:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#55383, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 15

yea right on that "promise" wakeboard, I've searched every junk yard around my area many times and not a 2gnt to be found! sux IMO!

also doing my thing to keep this thread goin'

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Sorry_i_WinJul-16-03 04:48 PM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
#55411, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 16

>yea right on that "promise" wakeboard, I've searched every
>junk yard around my area many times and not a 2gnt to be
>found! sux IMO!
>
>also doing my thing to keep this thread goin'

i'm with u man.. not a 2gnt to be found in ANY junkyards around here. And as far as the intake manifold goes, they are usually upwards of $100, even at a junkyard.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

WtngclanJul-16-03 05:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
938 posts,
#55416, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 17
Jul-16-03 05:22 PM by Wtngclan

bump..

i have a complete spare intake manifold for sale (upper/lower) if u want e-mail me at charlier@cdtech2003.com later.

ps i just installed a p&p intake manifold on my car thats why i have this .. its definately a big when done w/ a 60mm tb

Another BANNED asshole.

vegasdsmrJul-16-03 07:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#55424, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 18

you want to use a die grinder to port out the manifold... you can buy the kit from summit for about 25 bux shipped....

i used all but 4 peices in the kit (it comes w/about 40 peices)..

the die grinder can spin a lot faster cuz its air powered...

and it took a good 3 days, about 6 total hours to get it done properly... (the whole manifold minus the top inside portion of the upper manifold)...

a dremel would take days, and about 20 of each of the things posted above to do properly...

good luck either way..

i know from experience cuz i did one for wtngclan and listen to him

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

wakeboard99Jul-17-03 03:20 AM
Member since Apr 15th 2003
65 posts,
#55432, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 19

Hey.. what kind of improvement did you get on that str-4 dude.. and all toghether.. how do you like the car.

Stage III HRC
8.5:1 compression
12 psi @ 2300 rpm
fully built engine..
oo.. and it goes vroom

best et. 14.49 @ 101

ughhheadJul-17-03 01:39 PM
Member since Jul 05th 2003
775 posts,
#55490, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 20

so all along i thought a dremmel would suffice. guess not then, huh? where does the jeep throttle body and porting the intake manifold "mod" give you the most power, high, low, or through-out the whole powerband? any estimate as to what kind of gains?

likestoflooritJul-18-03 11:34 AM
397 posts,
#55546, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 21

where the hell this pop out of hehe... O yeah and its done..

97 Rs 5sp
-Intake
-Front upper strut bar
-Tint 20% o yeah
-Coilovers/KYB ADJ
-60mm TB
-P&P intake mani
-Cat Back System.
-Funny Rims?? dont lie

TeamDR1665Jul-21-03 05:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#55655, "RE: Question about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 22

Who said a Dremel won't work? I used my Dremel with that standard, orange grinding stone and then followed up with a 120grit flap wheel and I'd say I have some pretty decent results. I could've done a better job, but I did it in an hour one night while rebuilding. I'd say it's worth the time to do it.

coppereclipse95Jul-22-03 09:17 AM
Member since Apr 29th 2002
1068 posts,
#55745, "QUEASTION!!! about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 23

When you port, you're not supposed to polish the intake mani right? So, how smooth am I supposed to get my runners?

1995 Eclipse RS

TeamDR1665Jul-22-03 11:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#55758, "RE: QUEASTION!!! about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 24

I think you want all the surfaces to be as smooth as possible. Modern Performance says that Extrude Honing makes everything "glass smooth." The smoother it is, the less restriction you have.

I was unable to go deep into the mani with my flex attachment, but after I ground it all out to the shape I wanted, I used a 120grit flap wheel to smooth it out.

With a P&P TB and intake mani you should get, what, about 5-8hp? I'm not sure. I did too many other mods at the time to tell.

510eclipseJul-22-03 07:19 PM
424 posts,
#55780, "RE: QUEASTION!!! about porting intake manfold?"
In response to Reply # 25

when i previously replied to this thread, there were some things i left out.

first of all, yes removing the intake mani is a must when porting the intake mani. and it isnt too hard to remove, although the 2 or 3 bolts on the back/bottom of the intake mani are a bit difficult. hopefully your arms are as skinny as mine and you have the right extentions.

when "gasket matching" first take your new gasket and a razer and cut the gasket to the size you want to port, then trace the new sized gasket onto the intake manifold. this can help you open those runners up pretty nicely. i wasnt too specific when i earlier mentioned gasket porting, gasket company's dont design there gaskets for perfect runner sizes.

also, make sure you use the metal drill bit looking grinder that was posted up in the first reply. it will take 1/10th of the time as it would if you just used the grinding wheels. unfortunately i learned this from experience. but with this grinder bit, porting is really easy/fast with just a dremmel.

last week i ported the exhaust ports on my block. a guy in my crew helped me out. taking of the eashast mani was a pita but it was worth it, and fun and easy after that. just be careful with the coolant line attatched in front/ontop of it. to port your exhaust ports you have to plug up the holes with some pieces of rag. you dont want anything falling back in there. if anyone does this i reccomend a light porting/polishing. if you go too dramatic without knowing exactly what your doing, it can cause problems like wacky idle and/or lowered performance anywhere in the power band. all in all do some more research/practice before getting to this one. i think i saw some improvement, but its mostly to compliment the nitrous direct port system im installing in a week or two here

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #51893 Previous topic | Next topic