Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #117044
View in threaded mode

Subject: "After a year, Stage V underway. Teardown pics!" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Previous topic | Next topic
msl-manFeb-25-07 06:34 AM
Member since Nov 29th 2003
111 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#117044, "After a year, Stage V underway. Teardown pics!"

After saying I was going to do it and tearing my engine out a year ago, I finally talked with brad at Hahn and will be installing a stage V on my 98 RS. Just wanted to let everyone who wants to look at a few pics of my tear down. I'm thinking after recieving the parts it'll be summer before shes running but I couldn't wait to post anymore! I'll keep sending pics of the install if people are interested. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the process anyway. Any comments or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks for all the help over the years Guys! This site has always saved my ass!

BTW I've got a new DS fendor to replace the dented one in the pic. Needless to say I can't really take it to a body shop yet.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
msl-manJul-24-07 01:01 PM
111 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#117085, "RE: After a year, Stage V underway. Teardown pics!"
In response to Reply # 39

I picked up the engine! I have no idea what problems they ran into with the flexplate and the clutch. Thats a little outside of my area of expertise and I do not claim to know much about it. Anyway it is good to go and the long block is rebuilt and ready for installation. I won't be able to start for a few days though. The block is wrapped up so pictures will have to wait but at least I'm back on track.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

streetlightningJul-25-07 01:22 PM
Member since Mar 19th 2004
778 posts,
#117086, "RE: After a year, Stage V underway. Teardown pics!"
In response to Reply # 41

um, didt they try rtating the clutch aginst the fly wheel, those bolt holes are not equidistant from each other..theres only 1 way to line it up... GL on the rest lookin good

scorpo86Aug-24-07 04:16 PM
Member since Nov 08th 2006
282 posts,
#117087, "RE: After a year, Stage V underway. Teardown pics!"
In response to Reply # 42

when will be the next up date

msl-manSep-17-07 08:23 AM
111 posts,
#117088, "RE: After a year, Stage V underway. Teardown pics!"
In response to Reply # 0

Well here we go. I recieved the new MSD DIS 2, Innovate Motorsports LC-1 w/ digital DB A/F gauge, MSD ignition coil, and my 3" Thermal exhaust is on its way. I have to have a downpipe custom fabricated since Hahn doesn't offer their eliminator downpipe anymore. That is the last parts order I needed for this project in terms of the engine. Before I finally start putting it together this weekend (I've been in California and the car's in Montana) I have a couple of questions for you tranny guys. I have a lowered Eibach suspension w/ KYB gas adjustables and 18's with BFG racing tires so suspension and traction shouldn't be an issue. However, I need this car finished in the next couple of weeks and I can't decide on what to do with the tranny. My options are these:

Put in the orignal trans w/ no upgrades. Quickest fix but w/ no LSD I will have one wheel spinouts all the way through 4th gear. With this option I would buy a Shep Tranny probably next summer but I would have to wait to harness all the power.

Buy Phantom Grip for original trans. Don't know much about this guy other than its cheap. Will it last long enough at my expected HP levels for me to replace it with the shep next summer?

Buy a Quaife for original trans. $1200 but w/out a rebuilt tranny. How long will it last. 84k original on it. Searching these on 2gnt they don't seem very hard to install. THE BIG QUESTION IS "Am I just installing a $1200 part in a turd of an old tranny or what?" The tranny has been sitting for over a year and a half.

Sorry this is so long, I'm excited to finally wrap this up but I have one last issue to resolve. Any input would be great.

totaleclipse_05Sep-17-07 09:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#117089, "RE: After a year, Stage V underway. Teardown pics!"
In response to Reply # 44

Originally posted by msl-man
Well here we go. I recieved the new MSD DIS 2, Innovate Motorsports LC-1 w/ digital DB A/F gauge, MSD ignition coil, and my 3" Thermal exhaust is on its way. I have to have a downpipe custom fabricated since Hahn doesn't offer their eliminator downpipe anymore. That is the last parts order I needed for this project in terms of the engine. Before I finally start putting it together this weekend (I've been in California and the car's in Montana) I have a couple of questions for you tranny guys. I have a lowered Eibach suspension w/ KYB gas adjustables and 18's with BFG racing tires so suspension and traction shouldn't be an issue. However, I need this car finished in the next couple of weeks and I can't decide on what to do with the tranny. My options are these: Put in the orignal trans w/ no upgrades. Quickest fix but w/ no LSD I will have one wheel spinouts all the way through 4th gear. With this option I would buy a Shep Tranny probably next summer but I would have to wait to harness all the power. Buy Phantom Grip for original trans. Don't know much about this guy other than its cheap. Will it last long enough at my expected HP levels for me to replace it with the shep next summer? Buy a Quaife for original trans. $1200 but w/out a rebuilt tranny. How long will it last. 84k original on it. Searching these on 2gnt they don't seem very hard to install. THE BIG QUESTION IS "Am I just installing a $1200 part in a turd of an old tranny or what?" The tranny has been sitting for over a year and a half. Sorry this is so long, I'm excited to finally wrap this up but I have one last issue to resolve. Any input would be great.

Our trannys have been known to handle some decent power without upgrades. I would suggest getting a good clutch with a Quaife LSD as that is the only good option I have heard about for our cars. And as far as I know, Shep does not do 420a trannys.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

McFoxSep-17-07 10:41 AM
Member since Aug 29th 2007
60 posts,
#117090, "RE: After a year, Stage V underway. Teardown pics!"
In response to Reply # 45

I've heard people prefer the Quaife over the PG.

-Ed

'95 Eclipse RS-T
'91 Laser RS (Sold)

msl-manSep-17-07 01:00 PM
111 posts,
#117091, "RE: After a year, Stage V underway. Teardown pics!"
In response to Reply # 45

Wow, don't I feel like the jackass. I just assumed he did. That saves me some decision making then. I guess I should have looked into it a little bit more. I suppose I'll have to order the quaife. I have a stage 4 clutch so that base is covered. At $800 some dollars it had better be worth it.

Is there a write-up on installing a quaife anywhere? I can't seem to come across one.

Just a couple of notes, I had to order a melling 190 oil pump using the engine code A588. Everybody I talked to seemed to think the M198 would fit the 4G and the 420a. I'm no expert but I didn't seem right that the same pump would fit both a chrysler and a mitsubishi engine.

In regards to putting everything back together on the engine I'm just going to use an air compressor to clean out all the components (intake manifold, throttle body, etc.) that have been sitting around for the past year. I hope that should be enough. As for the rebuilt engine there is a little bit of assembly lube on the cam lobes. Will that be enough for the initial startup or should I add a little bit more? Keep in mind this engine has been sitting in the garage w/ no valve cover on for a little more than a month and a half. It is wrapped in plastic though.

BTW - I promise pictures this weekend as I tin the engine. Sorry again for all the delays.

msl-manSep-22-07 11:30 AM
111 posts,
#117092, "RE: After a year, Stage V underway. Teardown pics!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sep-22-07 11:36 AM by msl-man

Here are a few pics. If you notice the alignment marks on the cam gears are a little off. I can't get the cams to turn on the exhaust cam to line up. I'm going to run with it and see how it comes out after the belt of installed.

""

""

""

""

""

I'm not sure if the Crane Cams are causing the alignment issues or what. With the stock gears on it is still about a 1/4 tooth off. Any advice would be appreciated. I have some more pics I'll post later tonight.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-22-07 07:23 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#117093, "RE: After a year, Stage V underway. Teardown pics!"
In response to Reply # 48

If you had the head resurfaced then you will need to adjust the cams via the cam gears to align the cams correctly. This info can be found searching.

msl-manSep-22-07 08:23 PM
111 posts,
#117094, "RE: After a year, Stage V underway. Teardown pics!"
In response to Reply # 49
Sep-22-07 08:33 PM by msl-man

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
If you had the head resurfaced then you will need to adjust the cams via the cam gears to align the cams correctly. This info can be found searching.

Trust me I'm burning up the search function. Thanks for the hint.
I found this link which kind of goes over what you were saying. Sounds like its an easy fix though. 1/2 a tooth is what I'm off nomatter what. The fidanzas should be able to cover that. What threw me off was the fact that I couldn't line up the gears because the exhaust gear would spring back 1/2 a tooth so running the belt around it was impossible.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=87256&mode=full

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #117044 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Previous topic | Next topic