Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Testing General 2GNT topic #96004
View in linear mode

Subject: "How Do You Torque Down That Crank Pulley?" First topic | Next topic
RallyEclipse98Feb-12-13 06:38 PM
Member since Feb 22nd 2007
165 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#96004, "How Do You Torque Down That Crank Pulley?"

After doing my timing belt, water pump, head gasket, all that jazz, I need to get the harmonic balancer back on. I can set the crank pulley on the crank but that's it. I have a bolt that's one inch longer than the factory bolt. I have heard of using washers. I have also heard of heating the pulley to slip it on.

O'Riley's has a crank sprocket installer but they can't tell me over the phone if it will work with the 420a. I live 30 miles from the nearest one so, does anyone know if it works? And finally when I do get the sprocket threaded on, how do I torque it down properly? I would scream so loud if I jumped the timing!

I've searched and searched but haven't found how to torque it down and if O'Riley's generic installer will work.

Thanks for any help.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-12-13 07:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#96005, "RE: How Do You Torque Down That Crank Pulley?"
In response to Reply # 0

I use a small torch to heat the center of the pulley, and an impact to drive it on. Its torqued properly when it bottoms out. If the bolt breaks, that's too much.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4Feb-14-13 03:59 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#96006, "RE: How Do You Torque Down That Crank Pulley?"
In response to Reply # 0
Feb-14-13 04:01 AM by CODE4

Check the factory service manual, it specifies a Miller tool for installation of timing sprocket and crank pulley. Google that tool part number and there are a couple wholesale websites that sell such tools for decent prices. Or eBay it, sometimes shops liquidating tools will be there.

Either way I bought mine from stool or some website like that.

This:

http://www.etoolcart.com/cranksprocketinstaller6792.aspx

---

2012 2500HD LML

RallyEclipse98Feb-14-13 07:42 PM
Member since Feb 22nd 2007
165 posts,
#96007, "RE: How Do You Torque Down That Crank Pulley?"
In response to Reply # 2

I saw you mentioned the miller tool in a previous thread. I will report back with what works and how I made it work. First I will try the O'Riley's pulley installer, and next the washers, third just an impact gun, fourth the miller tool. Thanks for the replies, guys.

Top Team 2GNT Community Testing General 2GNT topic #96004First topic | Next topic