Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #9087
View in linear mode

Subject: "Quaife concern" Previous topic | Next topic
VendorRed90SevApr-24-13 11:31 PM
Member since Aug 28th 2010
261 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9087, "Quaife concern"
Apr-24-13 11:31 PM by Red90Sev

Hey, I purchased a 3.55 trans with the Quaife lsd already installed and am concerned... when the front on the car is off the ground and I spin one wheel, the wheel on the opposite side spins the other direction..... I was under the impression that when you had an lsd, it the wheels spun in the same direction... I'm confused, is the Quaife lsd different from others? I just got my car all together and am about to start tuning it for the track, did I get screwed?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Quaife concern, AdministratorCODE4, Apr-25-13 02:54 AM, #1
RE: Quaife concern, VendorRed90Sev, Apr-25-13 02:59 AM, #2
      RE: Quaife concern, chipdogg, Apr-25-13 10:13 PM, #3
      RE: Quaife concern, Moderatorbullettdsm, Apr-26-13 04:45 AM, #5
      RE: Quaife concern, AdministratorCODE4, Apr-26-13 04:23 AM, #4
           RE: Quaife concern, VendorRed90Sev, Apr-26-13 08:27 AM, #6
                RE: Quaife concern, Moderatorxcasbonx, May-02-13 12:58 PM, #7

AdministratorCODE4Apr-25-13 02:54 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9088, "RE: Quaife concern"
In response to Reply # 0

Wheels should spin together. Prior to install did you like look inside the output shaft holes and verify there was no diff pin present? Did previous owner show you receipt? Or are.you going only on his word?

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

VendorRed90SevApr-25-13 02:59 AM
261 posts,
#9089, "RE: Quaife concern"
In response to Reply # 1
Apr-25-13 03:03 AM by Red90Sev

Well I bought it off of DarkOne a few years back. Haven't even really driven the car. I only noticed because I had the front jacked up and was showing my buddy how what happens to the wheels when you spin them. Only to my surprise..... There was no pin, and I didn't check it out because I thought he was one of the more reputable people here on 2gnt.... Is the Quaife the same as other lsd's? Does there have to be load on it for it to work? I'm just unsure of exactly how the quaife works compared to others.....
Here's the original FS thread. Said "the trans was gone through at the time the quaife was installed and determed to be in excellent condition. Otherwise, it is a 1998 Neon SOHC trans of unknown mileage."
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=16&topic_id=118918&mode=full

chipdoggApr-25-13 10:13 PM
Member since Oct 28th 2012
44 posts,
#9090, "RE: Quaife concern"
In response to Reply # 2

Pop out an axle and look. If you see a diff pin, you got hosed. If you just see a small hole in the middle of washers, it's not a stock diff. Although it shouldn't do the opposite direction thing...

ModeratorbullettdsmApr-26-13 04:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#9092, "RE: Quaife concern"
In response to Reply # 3
Apr-26-13 04:53 AM by bullettdsm

Well, isn't this a curious thing.

Yes, typical old skool method of checking is to spin with the wheels off the ground. They spin together you got it, they spin opposite, you don't. BUT that is for an LSD. The Quaife is not an LSD, its an ATB. Automatic Torque Bias. Its based off helical gears that need load to function properly.

So I have Quaifes installed in both my cars, let's go down and check. Sure enough they both spin opposite when up in the air.

Maybe we should test them (insert requisite burn out);

(yes I know open diff's can do this. I posted that as a funny. Testing was done on cornering. Geez the internet lawyer disclaimers )

So I says to myself, "Self, let's do some internutz checking on other experiences".

And what do I find? Its all over the place. Some have wheels spinning the same, some have wheels spinning opposite. One did a brand new install and had his spinning opposite. One even said he did the test a couple of times and one time it was the same and one time it was opposite, lol.

So, easiest way to see if you have a Quaife is the visual (as noted look for no diff pin). To see if it works, pop a quick holeshot while one wheel is on dirt/gravel and the other is on tar. Or do a corner pull.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

AdministratorCODE4Apr-26-13 04:23 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#9091, "RE: Quaife concern"
In response to Reply # 2

Have you talked to Dino about it? Would have been the first thing I would have done.

---

2012 2500HD LML

VendorRed90SevApr-26-13 08:27 AM
261 posts,
#9093, "RE: Quaife concern"
In response to Reply # 4

Well, I was doing some reading and saw where some had different experiences with the quaife and was really just looking for some feedback from other quaife owners. I know when I put the trans in it didnt have the dif pin, so I just assumed all was good. I was just concerned when I had the car in the air and the wheels went opposite directions....

ModeratorxcasbonxMay-02-13 12:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#9094, "RE: Quaife concern"
In response to Reply # 6

Here's some good information to read on the Quaife ATB.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/quaife.htm

I contributed to the Wiki.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #9087 Previous topic | Next topic