Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #9069
View in linear mode

Subject: "Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased" Previous topic | Next topic
Tired2Mar-15-13 03:52 PM
Member since Sep 23rd 2012
124 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9069, "Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased"

So, when idling, if I have the transmission in neutral, when I let off the clutch, I can feel a slight shaking and a the engine load changes just a bit... nothing major.

Is this a clutch adjustment of any type, or a failing throw out bearing or something along those lines?

The car supposedly had a fresh clutch in it before I got it, so I'm not sure why they would have had it apart and not changed the bearings and such... just seeing if I'm due for pulling the tranny soon :-/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased, chipdogg, Mar-16-13 07:37 AM, #1
RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-16-13 09:29 PM, #2
      RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased, chipdogg, Mar-16-13 10:56 PM, #3
           RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased, Tired2, Mar-18-13 10:03 AM, #4
           RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased, chipdogg, Mar-18-13 04:11 PM, #5
                RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased, Tired2, Mar-18-13 08:12 PM, #6
           RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-23-13 02:08 AM, #7
                RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased, chipdogg, Mar-23-13 07:30 AM, #8
                     RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased, Tired2, Mar-28-13 07:45 AM, #9

chipdoggMar-16-13 07:37 AM
Member since Oct 28th 2012
44 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9070, "RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased"
In response to Reply # 0

Does it make any noise? When you release the clutch pedal, not only does it add the clutch dish to the rotating mass, but also the input shaft, and the 1-2 gears spin on the output shaft while the 3, 4, and 5 spin on the input shaft.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-16-13 09:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#9071, "RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased"
In response to Reply # 1

Could be a tight needle bearing on a speed or output gear. If the fluid level is okay and you're running decent fluid, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

chipdoggMar-16-13 10:56 PM
44 posts,
#9072, "RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-16-13 10:57 PM by chipdogg

Like this?

His fluid level was proper and it eventually locked his trans into 4th gear. I had to beat the gear off and replace the input shaft among other things.

But it's nothing to worry about if you notice an issue in your driveline!

Tired2Mar-18-13 10:03 AM
124 posts,
#9073, "RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased"
In response to Reply # 3

Nice pic, and thanks for the info. I have not spent much time on transmissions while getting into cars, they are somewhere on my list, just not yet...

I guess I figured neutral would not spin much with the clutch out, but that is probably all I'm seeing.

Thanks.

chipdoggMar-18-13 04:11 PM
44 posts,
#9074, "RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-18-13 04:15 PM by chipdogg

With the clutch engaged, it spins the input shaft. In the T-350, 1st gear and 2nd gear are cast as part of the input shaft, and 3-5 are pressed onto the output shaft. Since you aren't moving, the output shaft doesn't move (it's locked to the differential, and thus the wheels). With the input shaft spinning, the 1-2 gears on the output shaft spin, and the 3-5 on the input shaft sit stationary since they are meshed with the output shaft, and the input shaft spins inside them. You also have a bearing on either end of the input shaft that is spinning. The sealed one behind the rear cover, and the roller bearing inside the snout that's in the bellhousing.

So that's 7 bearings that are being spun in the trans, along with 5 sets of gears. Just in neutral.

Oh yeah, don't forget the shift forks! The 3-4 and 5-r forks sit still while the synchronizers spin inside them as they are splined to the spinning input shaft. So if you have a cable problem that is trying to force it into a gear (likely 3 or 4) it'll be riding a synchronizer stop ring on a gear and trying to slow the input shaft down.

Tired2Mar-18-13 08:12 PM
124 posts,
#9075, "RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased"
In response to Reply # 5

Excellent info, thanks.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-23-13 02:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#9076, "RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased"
In response to Reply # 3
Mar-23-13 02:12 AM by DarkOne

Originally posted by chipdogg
His fluid level was proper and it eventually locked his trans into 4th gear. I had to beat the gear off and replace the input shaft among other things. But it's nothing to worry about if you notice an issue in your driveline!

I've pulled one apart like that myself. My first recommendation for the symptom wouldn't be to yank the trans and disassemble it to inspect the needle bearing clearance and condition, though.

I'm glad you're here to offer the detail and insight that I can't or don't, Jacob.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

chipdoggMar-23-13 07:30 AM
44 posts,
#9077, "RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by chipdogg His fluid level was proper and it eventually locked his trans into 4th gear. I had to beat the gear off and replace the input shaft among other things. But it's nothing to worry about if you notice an issue in your driveline!
I've pulled one apart like that myself. My first recommendation for the symptom wouldn't be to yank the trans and disassemble it to inspect the needle bearing clearance and condition, though. I'm glad you're here to offer the detail and insight that I can't or don't, Jacob.

I'm not saying to pull the trans and disassemble it, he was asking what it could be and assumed it was just in the clutch as if it's the only thing moving. He can either ignore something that is going on, maybe it's just fine, or maybe all of a sudden he'll end up on the side of the road.

I'd drain the oil and look for debris, fill it back up if the oil looked good, and check for abnormal noise. Although these transmissions do make some noises and last a while, I've run quite a few with the horrendous rattling noise, but not all of them survived long!

Tired2Mar-28-13 07:45 AM
124 posts,
#9079, "RE: Engine load changes slightly in neutral when clutch is relased"
In response to Reply # 8

I've changed the fluid in it, the trans oil looked pretty clean, no debris. I'm not planning to pull it, and I only drive this car within about a 20 mile radius of my house. There are many things that would put me on the side of the road before the trans.

I'll know more about it when I get it back on the road. I have a bad cv joint to change, and maybe a brake making noise to deal with, then I can hear the trans better to see if its okay.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #9069 Previous topic | Next topic