Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8968
View in linear mode

Subject: "Clutch Removal Pictures / Wear Limits for Friction Disc?" Previous topic | Next topic
KTECLIPSEJul-08-12 08:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
537 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8968, "Clutch Removal Pictures / Wear Limits for Friction Disc?"

Hey Guys,

Here are a few pictures from my recent clutch replacement. The pictures below show a Clutch Masters Stage IV modular six puck sprung ceramic clutch.

This clutch is from a daily driver car (built engine, running 10 psi) that sees city and highway driving. A good majority of driving is stop and go as I live in New Jersey. It has never seen hi-rev drops from a start or been put through the abuse of a burnout. It has only seen spirited driving on the street with all boosting occurring from a rolling start. The clutch had less than 30,000 miles on it and was beginning to slip in all gears except first. This was when it was parked and disassembled.

My main reason for posting these pictures was out of curiosity for how worn the material is on the pucks. I don't have a picture of when the clutch was brand new for comparison. Does anyone have a picture of a new clutch for reference or a measurement of how thick the material is when new? I'm assuming the clutch is slipping because the material is so thin that the pressure plate can't apply the appropriate amount of pressure. There was no motor oil or transmission fluid in the bell housing.

I haven't made a decision on what clutch to buy yet, but from my research on this board, it seems that South Bend is highly regarded. I will give them a call tomorrow and discuss my options for a clutch that will last longer than 30,000 miles, have smoother engagement than a CM Stage IV, and still hold a maximum of 300 hp at the wheels.

Take a look at the pictures and see what you think!

--Kurt

Engine Support:

Transmission Removed:

Clutch (CM Stage IV):

Remaining Friction Material:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8968 Previous topic | Next topic