Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8895
View in linear mode

Subject: "AWD 2GNT???" Previous topic | Next topic
Nero95Jan-25-12 08:26 PM
Member since Jan 25th 2012
5 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8895, "AWD 2GNT???"

So I was at the drag strip a few weeks ago and I was checking out a guys Evo VIII and noticed that the tranny is on the oposite side of what it is on an Eclipse GST or GSX.. I know it would take quite a bit of modifying to the bell housing and mounts and everything and you'd have to use the rearend and fuel tank from a GSX or AWD TSi but would it be possible to use the tranny and transfer case from and Evo VIII to make a 420a Eclipse AWD??? I'm planning on rebuilding and turboing my 95 RS once I get a job and save up the money and I was just wondering if my idea would work. Any info and help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: AWD 2GNT???, Wes Tank, Jan-25-12 03:27 PM, #1
RE: AWD 2GNT???, AdministratorCODE4, Jan-25-12 03:29 PM, #2
RE: AWD 2GNT???, RoninEclipse2G, Jan-25-12 03:38 PM, #3
      RE: AWD 2GNT???, Nero95, Jan-25-12 03:46 PM, #4
      RE: AWD 2GNT???, dsmmitsubishi, Jan-25-12 06:57 PM, #5
           RE: AWD 2GNT???, Nero95, Jan-25-12 07:11 PM, #6
                RE: AWD 2GNT???, nub, Jan-25-12 08:01 PM, #7
                     RE: AWD 2GNT???, Nero95, Jan-25-12 08:20 PM, #8
      RE: AWD 2GNT???, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-05-12 03:51 AM, #9
           RE: AWD 2GNT???, ModeratorCorbin, Feb-27-12 07:36 AM, #10
           RE: AWD 2GNT???, PsychO, Mar-27-12 08:32 AM, #12
                RE: AWD 2GNT???, ModeratorCorbin, Mar-27-12 11:14 AM, #13
           RE: AWD 2GNT???, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-22-12 02:09 PM, #11

Wes TankJan-25-12 03:27 PM
Member since Oct 13th 2006
214 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8896, "RE: AWD 2GNT???"
In response to Reply # 0

No it's not possible.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4Jan-25-12 03:29 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#8897, "RE: AWD 2GNT???"
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry dude, this is nothing new on the table.

You are talking about several variables, starting with bellhousing pattern, trans input shaft length, axle length, etc.

If you have the time, money, and know-how then anything is possible.

---

2012 2500HD LML

RoninEclipse2GJan-25-12 03:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#8898, "RE: AWD 2GNT???"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by CODE4
Sorry dude, this is nothing new on the table. You are talking about several variables, starting with bellhousing pattern, trans input shaft length, axle length, etc. If you have the time, money, and know-how then anything is possible.

Exactly. By the time you paid for a custom bellhousing and all the other bits needed to do the swap and the frustration of making it all work, you will probably have spent enough money to buy 2 or 3 good running GSX's, if not more.

Swapping the whole EVO drivetrain would be slightly easier and less expensive, but you could still buy a pair of very nice GSX'S for the same cost.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Nero95Jan-25-12 03:46 PM
5 posts,
#8899, "RE: AWD 2GNT???"
In response to Reply # 3

I didn't see anything about it, sorry for bringing up old topics. Gotta admit though, it would be awesome. Haha. Anyway, thanks guys. I might look more into it later if I have the money to do it. I just like doing things differently.

dsmmitsubishiJan-25-12 06:57 PM
Member since Jul 22nd 2007
1 posts,
#8900, "RE: AWD 2GNT???"
In response to Reply # 4

The awd is impossible or cheaper to buy a gsx. but a evo8 or 9 swap into a gs is very possible. tampa racing and real street racing both did one and the nv350 trans bolt up to the 4g63 block

Nero95Jan-25-12 07:11 PM
5 posts,
#8901, "RE: AWD 2GNT???"
In response to Reply # 5

Well if the N/T tranny bolts up to the 4g63, won't the Evo tranny bolt up to the 420a??

nubJan-25-12 08:01 PM
Member since Feb 12th 2011
26 posts,
#8902, "RE: AWD 2GNT???"
In response to Reply # 6

With enough money anything is possible, but it is impossible to do cost-effectively.

At any rate, forget the GSX and look at the Chrysler AWD Caravan. They use a variant of the A604.
http://www.allpar.com/eek/awd.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultradrive

Nero95Jan-25-12 08:20 PM
5 posts,
#8903, "RE: AWD 2GNT???"
In response to Reply # 7
Jan-25-12 08:28 PM by CODE4

Hmmm THAT sounds like a good idea. I'll definitely look into that

But then again wouldn't that be an automatic? Would there be a way to do a manual one?

I did not realize there was an EDIT button, so I created sequential replies to the same thread.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-05-12 03:51 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#8907, "RE: AWD 2GNT???"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Originally posted by CODE4 Sorry dude, this is nothing new on the table. You are talking about several variables, starting with bellhousing pattern, trans input shaft length, axle length, etc. If you have the time, money, and know-how then anything is possible.
Exactly. By the time you paid for a custom bellhousing and all the other bits needed to do the swap and the frustration of making it all work, you will probably have spent enough money to buy 2 or 3 good running GSX's, if not more. Swapping the whole EVO drivetrain would be slightly easier and less expensive, but you could still buy a pair of very nice GSX'S for the same cost.

custom bellhousing? I think not not. People have been mating motor and transmissions together since the 50's without custom bellhousings. You would need a 1" thick adapter plate made of alum or 3/4 steel. Thats easy enough. You would need a Crank hub spacer to mave the flywheel out and a custom clutch disk made. all very easy to have made......

The problem isnt compatibility, its sheer size.

The 420A is 20-21" long from bellhousding surface to crank snout. The 4g63 is only 17". With the 4g Evo trans the bellhousing/engine mating surface sits too far towards the center of the car. When you try to couple a 420A up to the trans with a 1" spacer place your going to have an issue with the passenger frame rail being in the way.

Your better off just using the EVO motor as well and combining the Body harness of a 420A with the engien harness of the Evo. Not impossible, just time consuming and difficult for those who are not good with electrical or fabricating.

If you can do all your own work....its far worth it since the EVO motor is far superior to the 420A but if you have to pay for the fabrication then its not cost effective.

You still have to deal with the 2G rotting out......

Terry

ModeratorCorbinFeb-27-12 07:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#8916, "RE: AWD 2GNT???"
In response to Reply # 9

As sad as it sounds, I actually picked up an AWD shell and stripped out all the critical parts (gas tank, subframe, brackets, driveshaft, diff, axles, knuckles, etc). Only later did I find out that the EVO8 transfer case output shaft is in the wrong place (few inches too high). If it went straight out like the DSM, I might have had a chance. I bailed on the project and am trying to sell the AWD kit on Craig's List now. If anyone wants to take on a crazy project like this, hit me up.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

PsychOMar-27-12 08:32 AM
Member since Jun 10th 2004
166 posts,
#8938, "RE: AWD 2GNT???"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Corbin
As sad as it sounds, I actually picked up an AWD shell and stripped out all the critical parts (gas tank, subframe, brackets, driveshaft, diff, axles, knuckles, etc). Only later did I find out that the EVO8 transfer case output shaft is in the wrong place (few inches too high). If it went straight out like the DSM, I might have had a chance. I bailed on the project and am trying to sell the AWD kit on Craig's List now. If anyone wants to take on a crazy project like this, hit me up. Corbin '95 ESI-T Now with more power and fewer leaks Humble servant of the Wiki

Too long as in a shorter drive shaft would work?

ModeratorCorbinMar-27-12 11:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#8939, "RE: AWD 2GNT???"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by PsychO
Originally posted by CorbinOnly later did I find out that the EVO8 transfer case output shaft is in the wrong place (few inches too high). If it went straight out like the DSM, I might have had a chance.

Too long as in a shorter drive shaft would work?

The DSM transfer case sends the output straight back at axle level so it goes under the crossmember with the power steering rack. The EVO8 transfer case sends the output up a few inches and then straight back, above axle level. I think it will send it right into the crossmember with the power steering. I stopped short of buying an EVO8 trans, so I can't confirm exact placement. Terry's comment on the differing lengths of the engines makes this all even less practical with a 420A. Any transmission would end up sending the transfer case output too far towards one side of the car (not lining up with the tunnel in the body). If I could get my hands on a junk EVO8 trans, I would love to take a bunch of measurements and put concrete information here. I still have all of the AWD DSM parts in my garage if anyone is interested.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

RoninEclipse2GMar-22-12 02:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#8936, "RE: AWD 2GNT???"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by Star Turbo TalonYou still have to deal with the 2G rotting out...... Terry

Only in rot prone areas of the world. My strut towers are as solid as the day they left the factory.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8895 Previous topic | Next topic