Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8771
View in linear mode

Subject: "2gnt vs neon shifter arms" Previous topic | Next topic
PsychOApr-16-11 03:37 PM
Member since Jun 10th 2004
166 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8771, "2gnt vs neon shifter arms"

Hello all,

I purchased a 01-03 SOHC hydraulic 3.94 for my ATX to MTX conversion.

During a visual inspection of the transmission, something popped out to me. On the longer of the two shift arms, there seems to be some sort of a counter weight, on the opposite end of the pivot point. I tried to test fit the drivers side motor mount bracket, and the "weight" seems to be in the way.

Also, the longer of the two arms seems to be shorter, then a stock 2gnt transmission. I don't mind it being shorter, as this will shorten the throws.

See pics attached:
From the how-to:

My transmission:

Please excuse the dirt. I have yet to clean it.

Now, Can I just remove the counter weight by cutting it off to make room for the MM bracket? I do not have stock shifter arms to replace.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms, 420agreenvilleSC, Apr-16-11 07:04 PM, #1
RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms, 740 turbo brick, Apr-16-11 08:13 PM, #2
      RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms, PsychO, Apr-16-11 08:21 PM, #3
           RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms, PsychO, Apr-17-11 12:57 AM, #4
                RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms, AdministratorCODE4, Apr-17-11 08:23 AM, #5
                     RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms, 420agreenvilleSC, Apr-17-11 10:04 AM, #6
                          RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms, PsychO, Apr-18-11 02:03 AM, #7
                               RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms, 740 turbo brick, Apr-18-11 03:13 PM, #8
                                    RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms, PsychO, Apr-18-11 05:29 PM, #9
                                         RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms, Slo2g, May-04-11 10:51 AM, #10
                                              RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms, PsychO, May-05-11 02:24 AM, #11
                                                   RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms, 420agreenvilleSC, May-05-11 07:36 AM, #12

420agreenvilleSCApr-16-11 07:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8772, "RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms"
In response to Reply # 0

Im not sure if that'd work because of the diference (if any) where the shifter cable bushings would be compared to tthe two. If u don't have stockers to replace them, why the hell not just try and see. If it doesn't work, u can pop them out and replace them while on the car (if I remember right)

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

740 turbo brickApr-16-11 08:13 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#8773, "RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms"
In response to Reply # 1
Apr-16-11 08:13 PM by 740 turbo brick

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
Im not sure if that'd work because of the diference (if any) where the shifter cable bushings would be compared to tthe two. If u don't have stockers to replace them, why the hell not just try and see. If it doesn't work, u can pop them out and replace them while on the car (if I remember right)

Um...I pulled a trans out of a 95 Talon that had that same weight, my original 95 Eclipse trans did not. That tranny out of the Talon bolted right up to my car and the cables fit fine, no modification needed. I dont know why OPs wouldnt fit.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

PsychOApr-16-11 08:21 PM
166 posts,
#8774, "RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms"
In response to Reply # 2

Hmmm. I'll try test fitting the bracket again later tonight. But it seemed that bracket had to go under the weight to be bolted down correctly, and there wasn't enough space between the casing and the bottom of the weight.

I'll see what I come up with and report back.

Worst case, I'll just cut it off and round it off, like the 2gnt one is. The shorter arm might be an upgrade? Shrugs.

PsychOApr-17-11 12:57 AM
166 posts,
#8775, "RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms"
In response to Reply # 3

Nope, most definitely won't fit. I'll probably end up cutting that section off.

AdministratorCODE4Apr-17-11 08:23 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#8776, "RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms"
In response to Reply # 4

What is the important factor is that the distance from the cable mount to the pivot is the same as the stock 2GNT, otherwise it will affect the amount of shifter travel to get the required movement to shift gears.

---

2012 2500HD LML

420agreenvilleSCApr-17-11 10:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8777, "RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by CODE4
What is the important factor is that the distance from the cable mount to the pivot is the same as the stock 2GNT, otherwise it will affect the amount of shifter travel to get the required movement to shift gears.

This was my point

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

PsychOApr-18-11 02:03 AM
166 posts,
#8778, "RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms"
In response to Reply # 6
Apr-18-11 02:21 AM by PsychO

From what I read on the neon boards, the shorter arm will cause a 30% reduction in throw.

And I already have a b&m shifter, which may lead to a significant reduction (more then I want) in throw.

We will see.

Btw, here is something neat I found while digging around. It seems someone use to make a custom shortened shifter arm.

McFab was the name but apparently it hasn't been made for quite some time.

740 turbo brickApr-18-11 03:13 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#8779, "RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by PsychO
From what I read on the neon boards, the shorter arm will cause a 30% reduction in throw. And I already have a b&m shifter, which may lead to a significant reduction (more then I want) in throw. We will see. Btw, here is something neat I found while digging around. It seems someone use to make a custom shortened shifter arm. McFab was the name but apparently it hasn't been made for quite some time.

There must be something mixed up somewhere then, because I measured the weighted arm and the stock arm from center to cable pull end, and they were the same, just the weight sticking an inch or two longer off the end. The pull was the same. Dont know why mine would bolt right up and yours wouldnt fit. Unless Avenger stuff is that different.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

PsychOApr-18-11 05:29 PM
166 posts,
#8782, "RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms"
In response to Reply # 8

Everything I'm using for the conversion is from a 2gnt, except the transmission itself.

I'm not going to cut the entire weight off, just the section that extends below the arm itself. That way, it will clear the bracket by going over it.

Slo2gMay-04-11 10:51 AM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#8789, "RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms"
In response to Reply # 9

Yes you can change them in the car but its a pita, I had to change mine because the actual counter weight on the arm(3.55 early neon trans) wouldn't clear the trans mount, so I just stuck the one from the original 3.94 back on, good to go.

PsychOMay-05-11 02:24 AM
166 posts,
#8790, "RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms"
In response to Reply # 10

It seems that I'm starting to collect transmissions. I now have 1 atx, 2 3.94's and 1 3.55.

The 3.55 has Marks old ERT retrofit installed. I decided to put this one in the car.

One thing to note, is that the arm I've been dealing with is shorter (from center to center) then the one on 3.55.

So I plan on seeing how it is with the current arm, then switch to the shorter one and measure the difference. Also, the 3.94 has the beefier case with the webbing on the back half, and the 3.55 doesn't. So I might gut the 3.94, have the case PC and put the 3.55 internals in it.

Btw, I did end up cutting the weight off and everything fits fine.

420agreenvilleSCMay-05-11 07:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8791, "RE: 2gnt vs neon shifter arms"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by PsychO
It seems that I'm starting to collect transmissions

yea, that tends to happen to us 3.55 modders

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8771 Previous topic | Next topic