Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8641
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can't get transmission back in place...." Previous topic | Next topic
filup2006Dec-01-10 11:04 AM
Member since Sep 10th 2009
5 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8641, "Can't get transmission back in place...."

First off '96 Eagle Talon Esi (manual and modular clutch) that I am working on. Ok so I had to replace the clutch, pulled the transmission with no problems. Now I cannot get the transmission back where it belongs. I took off every bracket and mount and still cannot get it in.

Is there any tips or tricks someone can give me? Should I just pull the motor and go from there? I've never had this much trouble for any other car of mine lol.

thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ModeratortekleinDec-01-10 11:07 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#8642, "RE: Can't get transmission back in place...."
In response to Reply # 0

Whats it binding on?

How I do it is lay on my back with the trans positioned on my side, then I kinda roll it onto the motor.

Then have someone else put the two top bolts in to hold it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Ebster1085Dec-01-10 11:44 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8643, "RE: Can't get transmission back in place...."
In response to Reply # 1

Usually the biggest area of clearance issues is the back of the tranny. I find it easiest to get the tranny in the air. I do this by attaching rope to it and then going over the strut brace as a point of leverage. I tie it off, and voila, the tranny is elevated.

Once it is in the air you can maneuver it easier. I usually have to raise and lower the motor a few times until I get it to the "sweet spot" where I can get the tranny into place. Like Tim, once I get it into place I have someone thread the two top bolts on. From there, its cake.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

filup2006Dec-01-10 01:38 PM
5 posts,
#8644, "RE: Can't get transmission back in place...."
In response to Reply # 2
Dec-01-10 02:02 PM by filup2006

Hmm interesting, I'm doing the same thing you guys are doing also.
I did notice that one of the circular metal oval tabs ( one on each side of the motor, their the second set of bolts from the top) is kinda bent out of shape. It appears to be enough to stop the transmission from sliding onto the motor right...I can try to get a picture of what I mean. Sorry it might be big, I'm on my iPod

AdministratorCODE4Dec-01-10 02:15 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#8645, "RE: Can't get transmission back in place...."
In response to Reply # 3

Are you referring to the dowels that align the bellhousing with the block? If they are mashed, you may need to reform them or buy some new ones. Do not install the trans without them though.

Chrysler part #5240849

Also be careful to line the bellhousing and the block up as correctly as possible. Do not allow the motor and trans to sag as stress can easily crack the aluminum.

---

2012 2500HD LML

filup2006Dec-01-10 02:26 PM
5 posts,
#8646, "RE: Can't get transmission back in place...."
In response to Reply # 4

Yup that's it. I knew what they were called but had a brain cramp lol. Ok I'll do what you said. Thanks

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8641 Previous topic | Next topic