Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8137
View in linear mode

Subject: "Clutch done..." Previous topic | Next topic
99rs-tSep-02-09 07:40 AM
Member since Aug 29th 2009
4 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8137, "Clutch done..."

Alright a friend of mine's has a 99 rs-t and he threw a a SBC Modular TZ series (stage 2). Anyways he was driving one day and it started slipping (note clutch has like 10k on it so far). Next day it was done, and his guess was either it was a defective clutch or he was running it hard. Due to heat we all know it should slip once in a while right???

Does ANYBODY know what could have caused this?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Clutch done..., 420agreenvilleSC, Sep-02-09 12:02 PM, #1
RE: Clutch done..., RoninEclipse2G, Sep-02-09 04:55 PM, #2
RE: Clutch done..., Babbz413, Sep-02-09 10:10 PM, #3
      RE: Clutch done..., 420agreenvilleSC, Sep-03-09 04:15 PM, #4
           RE: Clutch done..., RoninEclipse2G, Sep-03-09 04:29 PM, #5
                RE: Clutch done..., Moderatorbullettdsm, Sep-04-09 05:28 PM, #6
                     RE: Clutch done..., ModeratorCorbin, Sep-06-09 06:22 PM, #7
                          RE: Clutch done..., Mattienorton, Dec-13-09 09:17 PM, #8

420agreenvilleSCSep-02-09 12:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8138, "RE: Clutch done..."
In response to Reply # 0

depends on the power he put on it, if he's been riding on the clutch pedal on a hill at a stop light, riding it hard everywhere he goes, etc.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RoninEclipse2GSep-02-09 04:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#8139, "RE: Clutch done..."
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-02-09 04:57 PM by RoninEclipse2G

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
depends on the power he put on it, if he's been riding on the clutch pedal on a hill at a stop light, riding it hard everywhere he goes, etc.

Exactly. I've seen people go through clutches every 10-15,000 miles and I've seen clutches that have lasted 500,000+ miles in the same model of car. It all boils down to the driver at that mileage. Usually if you've got a defective clutch you'll know within the first 2-5000 miles.

I consider myself hard on clutches and I still can't seem to destroy one in less than 75k miles (personal record)

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Babbz413Sep-02-09 10:10 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#8140, "RE: Clutch done..."
In response to Reply # 1

what clutch you guys got? (420a greenville and ron)

95 GS Boosted

420agreenvilleSCSep-03-09 04:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8143, "RE: Clutch done..."
In response to Reply # 3

Southbend cryotreated modular FE. not cheap, $600 shipped. Feels just like stock.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

RoninEclipse2GSep-03-09 04:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#8144, "RE: Clutch done..."
In response to Reply # 4
Sep-03-09 04:31 PM by RoninEclipse2G

stock one lasted to ~160k and I only changed it then because I was pulling the engine for a swap. Currently in the car is the ebay F1 clutch. I think it's a stage 2 It's only got a couple thousand on it because of the last time I borked the head. Feels pretty good though.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

ModeratorbullettdsmSep-04-09 05:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#8147, "RE: Clutch done..."
In response to Reply # 5

Don't forget oil on the clutch. Hate to have you put in a new one and run into the same problem.....only sooner.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

ModeratorCorbinSep-06-09 06:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#8148, "RE: Clutch done..."
In response to Reply # 6

Your friend needs to pull the clutch and disassemble it for inspection. If it only has 10k on it, there is hope for salvaging some or all components. Unfortunately, that requires that he have alternate transportation. However, he just might learn something that will make the next assembly last longer.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

MattienortonDec-13-09 09:17 PM
Member since Dec 12th 2009
31 posts,
#8358, "RE: Clutch done..."
In response to Reply # 7

Have you guys checked for master cylinder failure as well?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8137 Previous topic | Next topic