Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7931
View in linear mode

Subject: "A/T to M/T" Previous topic | Next topic
MattsClipseFeb-02-03 01:36 PM
Member since Jan 05th 2003
13 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7931, "A/T to M/T"

Im going to change my A/T to M/T i was wondering what suggestions anyone would have in making this change. What are the best possible performance parts i can buy to make the change and exactly what do i need to change? Are there total kits that i can make buy to make the switch easy? Please Let Me Know Soon!

Thanks,
Matt

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: A/T to M/T, 1998EclipseRS, Feb-03-03 06:57 AM, #1
RE: A/T to M/T, Amish_Eclipse, Feb-03-03 09:21 AM, #2
RE: A/T to M/T, mtalldaway, Feb-06-03 08:53 AM, #11
RE: A/T to M/T, Patroklai, Feb-03-03 01:11 PM, #3
RE: A/T to M/T, pjules1976, Feb-05-03 03:25 PM, #4
      RE: A/T to M/T, Patroklai, Feb-05-03 03:47 PM, #5
      RE: A/T to M/T, pjules1976, Feb-05-03 04:28 PM, #6
           RE: A/T to M/T, Patroklai, Feb-05-03 04:38 PM, #7
                RE: A/T to M/T, pjules1976, Feb-05-03 04:46 PM, #8
                     RE: A/T to M/T, Patroklai, Feb-05-03 04:48 PM, #9
                          RE: A/T to M/T, pjules1976, Feb-05-03 04:53 PM, #10
                               RE: A/T to M/T, Patroklai, Feb-06-03 10:25 AM, #12
      RE: A/T to M/T, negativelevation, Jun-11-09 07:02 PM, #14
           RE: A/T to M/T, freelancefool, Jun-11-09 08:52 PM, #15
           RE: A/T to M/T, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jun-12-09 04:31 AM, #16
                RE: A/T to M/T, 420agreenvilleSC, Jun-12-09 08:50 PM, #17
RE: A/T to M/T, Patroklai, Feb-06-03 10:26 AM, #13
RE: A/T to M/T, AJM, Jul-08-09 11:02 AM, #18

1998EclipseRSFeb-03-03 06:57 AM
Member since Jul 31st 2002
3245 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7932, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 0

You just wasted 100 bucks on putting those final drive gears in. All those parts go with the A/T, why would you waste your money on a new transmission, NO ONE around here will do that I promise, you'll have to look ULTRA hard to find someone experience enough to do that. Don't waste your money now Matt, save up and buy a turbo kit. That’s a lot but don't waste your cash on a M/T. Not worth it in my honest opinion.
But hey if you still want it, more power to you.

-Chip

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Amish_EclipseFeb-03-03 09:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#7933, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 1

the1Bill did this conversion. not sure of anyone else. ask him about it if he hasn't posted here about it already. i know there isn't a "kit" for it. besides the transmission you would need shifter and linkage, clutch master cylinder and all the fluids to name the obvious.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

mtalldawayFeb-06-03 08:53 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2 posts,
#7934, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 1

actually dude i know a friend who changed at to mt and he said it was actually not that hard nice try though, mattsclipse if you want to do it then do it just consider it though because i could be a huge waste like he said!

PatroklaiFeb-03-03 01:11 PM
Member since Feb 03rd 2003
108 posts,
#7935, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey matt listen to begin with i want to throw out a cry of joy, becouse ive been reading from this post for months now, and i never was able to post.

To begin with, i have already done this swap, i have read i believe everything there is to be read about it. and if your interested feel free to ask any question regarding it. I'm pretty sure i know everything there is to be known about it

Looking to buy 4G63

pjules1976Feb-05-03 03:25 PM
Member since Sep 20th 2002
39 posts,
#7936, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 3

Hi ive done the A/T to M/T swap myself and cost me total 800.00, anyone has any question im here to help, and also i did a post with the parts needed, and cost.

PJJ

PatroklaiFeb-05-03 03:47 PM
108 posts,
#7937, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 4

yea well then maybe you can give me a hand with my electrical issues
did you change your ecu ?

Looking to buy 4G63

pjules1976Feb-05-03 04:28 PM
39 posts,
#7938, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 5

Yes i changed my ECU ive got a 99 eclipse, so i had to get a 99 ecu. Then you gotta get a manual tranny wire harness also cause the automatic harness wont work. Your gonna love ur car when you swap tranny

PJJ

PatroklaiFeb-05-03 04:38 PM
108 posts,
#7939, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 6

yea well i just cant get that damn VSS to work...

i did a home made harness to the pins it could be that didnt work.
well, i'm espectic a new VSS and harness included.
how much of a difference is the ECU?

manual tranny feels fine the the AT ecu.

i'm getting MT ECU for $200 -> that ok ?

Looking to buy 4G63

pjules1976Feb-05-03 04:46 PM
39 posts,
#7940, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 7

I bought mu ECU for 50.00, and here is a link to the wiring for the ecu vss sensor, clutch switch wiring, and reverse light.

http://www.armond30.com/adp/smartquestions.html

PJJ

PatroklaiFeb-05-03 04:48 PM
108 posts,
#7941, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 8

where did ya get that ECU??
thanks for the armonds site, had that one already, i have it connected the right way, thats why i think i busted my sensor.
well i'll install the new one and see what happens.

Looking to buy 4G63

pjules1976Feb-05-03 04:53 PM
39 posts,
#7942, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 9

Hey i had the same issue with the speed sensor and i hand one of the wires on the wrong pin then it worked fine. What year is ur eclipse?

PJJ

PatroklaiFeb-06-03 10:25 AM
108 posts,
#7943, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 10

i have a 97 eclipse
do you have the stock wiring harness, or did you make one up ?

Looking to buy 4G63

negativelevationJun-11-09 07:02 PM
Member since Apr 03rd 2008
1 posts,
#7944, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 4

Hello I was reading this forum and nothing that you have the the swap from A/T to M/t and i'm in the process of doing it right now. I'm done with everything except fill up the tranny with transmission fuilsd and the clutch switch. I grounded one of the clutch switch wires to the body and the other wire is suppose to goto the transaxle range switch off of the A/T . It says to put it on pin 5 which is color solid black with yellow stripe but right next to it on the opposite side is another wire the same color solid black with yellow stripe. Does it matter which one i put it to? do those two wires have the same function? If you can just tell me what color wire is above the one that i suppose to put it one that would help me to determine what side it goes one. I hope this M/T swap works? I sweated my ass off for it.!!! Thank you

freelancefoolJun-11-09 08:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#7945, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 14

This post is about 6 years old. I don't think any of these people post here. If the first black/white wire that you ground to the chassis doesn't bypass the neutral safety switch, try the other one. If took me two tries to get it right.

My Blog

ModeratorbullettdsmJun-12-09 04:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#7947, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 14

Stephen, kudos for searching, but you just might want to watch for the post dates on your searches. Your question was certainly acceptable to post up on its own.

But I'm going to move this into the M/T section and leave it open in case you have other follow ups.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

420agreenvilleSCJun-12-09 08:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#7951, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 16
Jun-12-09 08:52 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

remove your CDPLAYER or radio, find some relays sitting behind it, there's a wire going to the relays that you'll want to tap into. I believe its the largest diameter BLACK, or BLACK/YELLOW wire. Tap into that, works for me. This will start your car without the clutch pedal depressed, be beware, do NOT try to start it when the car is in gear. not fun.

may or may not need this but this is how you hook up your VSS http://www34.brinkster.com/chamukogs/ATtoMT%20with%20pictures%20in%20document_files/vss.bmp

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

PatroklaiFeb-06-03 10:26 AM
108 posts,
#7946, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 0

matt check your mail

Looking to buy 4G63

AJMJul-08-09 11:02 AM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
3 posts,
#8019, "RE: A/T to M/T"
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-08-09 11:03 AM by AJM

I would recommend from experiance when doing this swap to avoid using the AT wiring harness if at all possible. I completed it on a 95, and I had a weird issue with the car only starting only sometimes. I put in the MT wiring harness, and replaced the ASD/FUEL/Tranny Relays with MT relays (just ASD/Fuel on manual) removed TCU, and everything worked perfectly.

my car's year was 95. So maybe this is different for other years please correct me if i'm wrong people...

Also the axles didn't seem as if they were in, but they were. There should be a little metal showing on the axle at the transmission side. but it should be dirty metal.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7931 Previous topic | Next topic