Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7914
View in linear mode

Subject: "Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?" Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseSixJun-10-09 06:26 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
305 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7914, "Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?"

So I ended up replacing my clutch this previous weekend (a bitch of an experience getting that trans back in, but it got done). When the old clutch went, the trans had a horrible grinding sound in it.

When I pulled the trans out I found out why, the old clutch disc completely shredded into a fine hairlike metallic crap mess. So new clutch goes in, trans goes in, new fluid, car runs and drives but the screeching is still there. Flush the fluid about 3 times, the screech only is there for a few moments when you first start driving, then goes away now.

The big problem is that now 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th gears grind going in. 4th gear is the only gear that still shifts smoothly no matter the rpms. If I baby it (nudge it in, rev match, etc), I can manage not to grind, but it makes the car completely horrible to drive. My question is, could the garbage from the old clutch getting into the trans ruin 4 of my synchros at once? I'm guessing thats it, but I'm also praying maybe theres some other hidden cause?

Or is it new trans time?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-11-09 12:02 PM, #1
RE: Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?, ez, Jun-13-09 08:26 PM, #2
RE: Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?, EclipseSix, Jun-15-09 05:13 PM, #3
      RE: Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-15-09 05:50 PM, #4
           RE: Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?, EclipseSix, Jun-16-09 07:19 PM, #5
                RE: Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?, hazard_eclipse, Jun-22-09 01:09 PM, #6
                     RE: Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?, Mattienorton, Dec-13-09 09:26 PM, #7

RoninEclipse2GJun-11-09 12:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7923, "RE: Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?"
In response to Reply # 0

The fibers from the clutch can't get into the transaxle. It could be that when the friction disc gave out it just happened to be the final straw for the synchros.

On second thought I wonder if you didn't reinstall something improperly and now the clutch isn't completely disengaging. Or the clutch could be faulty and not disengaging properly. Possibly you damaged the slave cylinder when reinstalling that?

I'd double check that the hydraulic system is operating properly and that your fork is holding the throwout bearing properly and nothing got bent.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ezJun-13-09 08:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#7955, "RE: Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?"
In response to Reply # 0

Readjust the clutch pedal bolt.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

EclipseSixJun-15-09 05:13 PM
305 posts,
#7956, "RE: Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?"
In response to Reply # 2
Jun-15-09 05:13 PM by EclipseSix

ok, that makes sense since if debris from the clutch could get in, it'd happen all the time.

The only thing that worries me is the trans grinds in 1st and 2nd anytime I go over 2000 rpms (approx). I'll check the hydraulics and pedal bolt, but what worries me is that the trans started grinding when the clutch blew, basically whenever the car was running.

After changing the clutch, same problem. Flushed the fluid a couple times, now it only grinds in 1st and second when the clutch is engaged. The TOB should be fine, but those plastic clips broke off the second we started maneuvering the trans to get it back in. Is it worthless without those clips?

RoninEclipse2GJun-15-09 05:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#7958, "RE: Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by EclipseSix
The TOB should be fine, but those plastic clips broke off the second we started maneuvering the trans to get it back in. Is it worthless without those clips?

That's most likely your issue right there.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

EclipseSixJun-16-09 07:19 PM
305 posts,
#7959, "RE: Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?"
In response to Reply # 4

Well it could be, but just judging from how it sat on the shaft and fork with the clips and without, I really don't see how that could be causing such a horrible grinding noise in 1st and 2nd. I checked it and placed the clutch inside the trans which would hold everything in place before reinstalling the trans.

The other thing that leads me to believe is the trans/synchros is that 4th gear works perfect. No noise or grinding ever, I can shift into it at any rpm with no resistance or grinding, etc etc. Every other gear has to be rev matched or pulled in extremely slowly. I notice reverse has a light grind to it too.

hazard_eclipseJun-22-09 01:09 PM
Member since Jun 20th 2009
95 posts,
#7960, "RE: Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?"
In response to Reply # 5

I've actually run into this problem before on a third gen eclipse i did a clutch in. the guy drove around with a worn clutch so long until it gave out that it took out the 1st and reverse synchros. but one way to tell if it's the synchros is rev it up and push it into the gear. if it goes in smoothly reved then it's the synchros. if not then you may wanna look for another issue.

wiki homepage: http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Hazard_Eclipse

19:22:36 ‹hazard_eclipse› btw disclaimer: I am NOT hazardeclipse
19:23:10 ‹ez› 19:14:00 ‹hazard_eclipse› i honestly hate yellow.
19:23:25 ‹hazard_eclipse› lol good you saw that
19:23:55 ‹ez› you should put that in your sig

MattienortonDec-13-09 09:26 PM
Member since Dec 12th 2009
31 posts,
#8363, "RE: Clutch blew (badly), now all synchros screwed?"
In response to Reply # 6

did you ever get a fix to this?

Try checking things in this order,

Master and slave cylinder,

Fluid Levels,

Possibly bad clutch install

Maybe bad synchros

If i bet on it i would say bad synchros

I ran mine so long on a burning clutch that i actually managed to blow up the trans so bad its not functional one bit. Yay me! my 2nd tranny!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7914 Previous topic | Next topic