Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7890
View in linear mode

Subject: "how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential" Previous topic | Next topic
420agreenvilleSCJun-02-09 03:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7890, "how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
Jun-02-09 04:02 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

I've looked at them, according to the 3.55 writeup, it states that the 3.55 is the smaller of the two.

from the 3.55 writeup, "5. Place the bellhousing clutch side down on your workbench, place the 3.55 differential in the housing. If you confused the two differentials because you are not organized, the 3.55 is the smaller of the two ring gears."

Well, i can't tell. I'm not a dumbass damnit. It looks like the 3.94 has ID Marks that correspond between the differential splines and the output shaft splines.

There are also raised, stamped numbers & letters on the differentials that may distiguish them so you can get the correct one if you need to. There has to be a damn difference...

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, 420agreenvilleSC, Jun-02-09 03:51 PM, #1
RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, barza21, Jun-02-09 09:46 PM, #2
      RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jun-03-09 05:53 PM, #3
           RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, 420agreenvilleSC, Jun-03-09 08:29 PM, #4
           RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, barza21, Jun-03-09 09:00 PM, #5
                RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, 420agreenvilleSC, Jun-03-09 09:08 PM, #6
                RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, barza21, Jun-03-09 09:29 PM, #7
                     RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, 420agreenvilleSC, Jun-03-09 09:35 PM, #8
                          RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, barza21, Jun-03-09 09:44 PM, #9
                               RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, 420agreenvilleSC, Jun-04-09 04:17 PM, #10
                                    RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, MITSUracer123, Jun-04-09 07:14 PM, #11
                                         RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, 420agreenvilleSC, Jul-10-09 10:30 PM, #12
                                              RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, 420agreenvilleSC, Jul-10-09 11:07 PM, #13
                                                   RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, barza21, Jul-13-09 12:07 AM, #14
                                                   RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, Purpose, Jul-31-09 08:59 AM, #15
                                                   RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, BurninThatVtechA, Aug-04-09 02:39 PM, #16
                                                        RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, 420agreenvilleSC, Aug-04-09 07:14 PM, #17
                                                             RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential, Purpose, Aug-04-09 07:51 PM, #18

420agreenvilleSCJun-02-09 03:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7891, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 0
Jun-02-09 03:53 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

this is a pic of the 3.55. See how the output shaft splines do not have ID Markings? (on the center of the splines)

The 3.94 does. ONE of the differentials have matching ID markings like the .94 does, the other does not. Could this be the match?

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

barza21Jun-02-09 09:46 PM
Member since Oct 09th 2006
313 posts,
#7892, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 1

So, it could be save to say that the differential from the 3.94 will not work in a 3.55 trans?

Sorry for the hijack

Back to the original question though, if you have the part number on the outside of the trans you could check that and see if it matches with the right part #. http://www.neons.org/forumdodge/trans.htm

Hope that helps.

I wish I had blown it, believe me, I do...

ModeratorbullettdsmJun-03-09 05:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#7894, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by barza21
So, it could be save to say that the differential from the 3.94 will not work in a 3.55 trans?

The diff is interchangeable. You just have to swap out the ring gears.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

420agreenvilleSCJun-03-09 08:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#7895, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 3
Jun-03-09 08:32 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

so you're saying that the amount of teeth on the ring gears are different? The 3.55 diff has a smaller amount of teeth?

If that's the case, i have a favor to ask of someone. Whoever has a spare 3.94 stock diff layin around, please count the teeth on the ring gear and post up thanks in advance.

barza21Jun-03-09 09:00 PM
313 posts,
#7896, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 3

I asked the question the wrong way, sorry... lol

Mikey, I will go do that right now.

420agreenvilleSCJun-03-09 09:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#7897, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 5

also, tell me if your .94 diff has hash mark "ID markings" on the ring gear. They're little notches dug into the center of the splines...

barza21Jun-03-09 09:29 PM
313 posts,
#7898, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 5

Ok,

Answering your question Mikey, the 3.55 and 3.94 ring gear both have the same amount of teeth (71). The notches that you are asking ARE on the 3.94 ring gear.

The 3.55 ring gear is about 1/8-1/16 of an inch smaller than the one on the 3.94.

If you put them both side by side, you should be able to see which one is smaller.

420agreenvilleSCJun-03-09 09:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#7899, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by barza21The notches that you are asking ARE on the 3.94 ring gear. The 3.55 ring gear is about 1/8-1/16 of an inch smaller than the one on the 3.94.

are you talking about width of the gear, or height? i'm assuming width (left to right)

barza21Jun-03-09 09:44 PM
313 posts,
#7900, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 8

Yes, width.

I didn't measure it from end to end though. I measured it from the edge of the splines to where the differential is mating with the ring gear.

Don't know if that makes sense though... lol

420agreenvilleSCJun-04-09 04:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#7901, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 9

as soon as i get the trannies in front of me again, i'll bump this. Thanks barz!

MITSUracer123Jun-04-09 07:14 PM
Member since May 31st 2008
56 posts,
#7902, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 10

i just did a overhaul on my nvt350 and while i was working on the diff at school i found another nvt350. i used some spare parts that i needed than with out even meaning to i found out that it was a neon trans. lol. The diffs are not too noticeable but when u try putting the 2 wrong parts together, you will notice. lol thats what happend to me lol.

420agreenvilleSCJul-10-09 10:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8021, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 11
Jul-10-09 11:04 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

they look the same don't they.

figured i'd post some pics to tell the difference.

first pic: 3.55 differential ring gear splines
second pic: 3.94 differential ring gear splines (with hash ID markings)
third pic: 3.55 ring gear measurement (1/8" smaller)
fourth pic: 3.94 ring gear measurement (1/8" larger than 3.55)

thanks to barz for the measurement idea.

420agreenvilleSCJul-10-09 11:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8022, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 12

http://www.2gnt.com/?d=Differences_in_the_3.94

shazzaaammm

barza21Jul-13-09 12:07 AM
313 posts,
#8023, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 13

VERY GOOD INFO MIKEY!!!

PurposeJul-31-09 08:59 AM
Member since Jul 30th 2009
42 posts,
#8080, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"

I have used a 3.55 diff in a 3.94 .81 mtx before with good results. Will have to compare the 5 mtx's I have at home.

BurninThatVtechAAug-04-09 02:39 PM
Member since Aug 03rd 2009
7 posts,
#8102, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"

So can you really tell a difference between the 2 bottom end wise or top end wise? Or is the driveability about the same?

420agreenvilleSCAug-04-09 07:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8104, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by BurninThatVtechA
bottom end wise or top end wise

wtf r u talking about. elaborate on what you mean.

PurposeAug-04-09 07:51 PM
Member since Jul 30th 2009
42 posts,
#8105, "RE: how can you tell the difference between a 3.55 & 3.94 differential"
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
Originally posted by BurninThatVtechA bottom end wise or top end wise
wtf r u talking about. elaborate on what you mean.

Mainly in third gear. Power everywhere else seemed the same for the mods. The gearing was quite noticable. A dohc neon with mopar computer has altered shift point like everyone knows. 1st 0mph - 40 ; 2nd 40mph - 58mph ; 3rd 60mph - 100mph ; and the rest is a mystery to me. With the 3.55 diff in an r/t mtx 2nd you can run to 62mph, and 3rd goes from 62mph to 113mph. Fun when messing with low powered boosted cars.

Banned

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7890 Previous topic | Next topic