Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7804
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tranny in. leak?!" Previous topic | Next topic
Babbz413Apr-27-09 08:00 AM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7804, "Tranny in. leak?!"
Apr-27-09 08:08 AM by Babbz413

Well I finally got my new transmission and f1 racing clutch in. thank you all for the help and information on that. I did go to satan and get the 25 dollars a quart nvt 350 lubricant as well. everythings back together and runs like a dream. tranny has no miles on it. but the only problem now is i have an oil leak thats dripping onto the tranny somewhere and getting to the ground off the bottom of the tranny. it seems to be coming from the back side of the engine. its not much. but before this tranny swap there was no leak. anyone have any ideas? or experience this themselves? I also switched my oil over to synthetic as well. could this be a problem?

Thanks.

and there is also white smoke coming out of the exhaust. car isnt overheating at all. the car did sit for 2 months until i got the tranny in on saturday.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Tranny in. leak?!, barza21, Apr-27-09 06:05 PM, #1
RE: Tranny in. leak?!, halfasss101, Apr-27-09 07:18 PM, #2
      RE: Tranny in. leak?!, Babbz413, Apr-30-09 03:57 PM, #3
           RE: Tranny in. leak?!, Babbz413, May-06-09 11:11 AM, #4
                RE: Tranny in. leak?!, Moderatorbullettdsm, May-06-09 02:49 PM, #5
                     RE: Tranny in. leak?!, Tuxdreamerx, May-07-09 02:37 PM, #6

barza21Apr-27-09 06:05 PM
Member since Oct 09th 2006
313 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7805, "RE: Tranny in. leak?!"
In response to Reply # 0

if its coming from the back of the block it could be that somebody touched the Oil pressure sending unit. Since you had to disconnect the clutch line maybe they didnt tighten it correctly and that is what is leaking onto the trans? Those are some ideas...

In regards to the white smoke, coolant could be being burned up. So a HG might need to be replaced.

I wish I had blown it, believe me, I do...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

halfasss101Apr-27-09 07:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#7807, "RE: Tranny in. leak?!"
In response to Reply # 1

Odd that there was no oil leak before but there is now if nothing else was removed. When i pulled my tranny off, i pulled whole motor since i changed heads. Get it on jack stands and get underneath and try to shine a light on the back of the block. Cant see a whole lot, but maybe enough to see an oil leak somewhere.

Originally posted by bullettdsm Recommendations are that you get drunk and sit idly by to stare at your car while nothing happens to it. End results seem to be that you will be happy.

Babbz413Apr-30-09 03:57 PM
260 posts,
#7812, "RE: Tranny in. leak?!"
In response to Reply # 2

well today my car was having a hard time shifting into 2nd. 4th. and reverse. the bottom gears. with the clutch in and shifting to either of these gears. it just pops back into neutral. no grinding noises. to my surprise i discovered that the fluid i was leaking was not oil, but actually the tranny fluid. i was unaware that the nvt 350 fluid wasnt red. so its back to the shop now. i hope nothing is destroyed internally.

Babbz413May-06-09 11:11 AM
260 posts,
#7818, "RE: Tranny in. leak?!"
In response to Reply # 3

so im wondering just how bad i fucked this new transmission up. the day i posted how it wouldnt go into gears 2nd, 4th, and reverse and it would just pop into neutral...no grinding either. well later that day upon taking it home. it got itself stuck into 3rd. i had to have it towed home. so now its staying in 3rd. you can shift it down into 4th but theres no neutral in between to where the shifter can move or bounce around. it just stays locked in and goes down. is it possible its just out of enough lubricant? or is it fucked internally? ive already leaked out im sure all 50 bucks in the nvt 350 fluid. again there was no grinding. anyone experience anything of the sort.

thanks.

ModeratorbullettdsmMay-06-09 02:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#7819, "RE: Tranny in. leak?!"
In response to Reply # 4

Well, not that this helps you any, but a buddy of mine once ran his tranny EMPTY for over a year, lol. I did an axle for him and when I pulled the drain plug, nothing came out. I didn't have any extra fluid laying around, so I told him to fill up immediately. He laughed and said he would, but never did (he's an interesting character). Been going for over a year.

Could you have not ruined anything by running it around low? Possible..........but not likely. Although, I would certainly take the shot at this point. Get some of the cheapy atf-4 fluid. Whaddya got to lose?

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

TuxdreamerxMay-07-09 02:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#7820, "RE: Tranny in. leak?!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Well, not that this helps you any, but a buddy of mine once ran his tranny EMPTY for over a year, lol. I did an axle for him and when I pulled the drain plug, nothing came out. I didn't have any extra fluid laying around, so I told him to fill up immediately. He laughed and said he would, but never did (he's an interesting character). Been going for over a year. Could you have not ruined anything by running it around low? Possible..........but not likely. Although, I would certainly take the shot at this point. Get some of the cheapy atf-4 fluid. Whaddya got to lose?

Ha I rebuilt a 88 honda accord and didn't realize the transmission needed fluid. At the time I was being told that manual transmissions used heavy rear end grease. I put about 180 miles on the new motor and I lost 1st through 3rd.

To OP did you check all your linkage? I have had linkage on my eclipse pop out and I experienced the same things you are. Make sure the little clips that hold the linkage in place are still there.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7804 Previous topic | Next topic