Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7464
View in linear mode

Subject: "Its crunch time now" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorbullettdsmDec-20-08 02:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7464, "Its crunch time now"

Finally got the NA in the garage. Snowy day and good day to pull engine/trans and check things out.

Just thought I'd share a little crunch time.

Taking a peek, this can't be good;

You can see the planetary no longer in orbit.

Lets take a look inside;

Oopsy, lol.

A little something missing? Literally, all that I found is under the diff on the counter. That's all.

Oddly, the tranny was virtually untouched. I will have to switch it into another case, but salvageable for later. The only scores (besides the case blow out) were the ring gear screws. The diff pin became a full floating unit but, damn, those diff pin savers definitely work. Held the pin in place.

Eh, a little snowy day fun.

The ERT could possibly be reused, lol. I gotta check it out.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

eclipse RS-TDec-22-08 04:08 PM
Member since Apr 10th 2007
54 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7466, "RE: Its crunch time now"
In response to Reply # 0

damn that suxs, was this on the obx lsd?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-22-08 04:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#7467, "RE: Its crunch time now"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by eclipse RS-T
damn that suxs, was this on the obx lsd?

No, the ERT LSD (no longer available. Went out of business. Too bad, great product). Oddly enough it was like the "hand of god" was watching out for all the other parts, lol. It appears that all are basically untouched (sans the diff). I pulled the ERT out of there, and minus a little deflection on one of the sides, it appears to be OK. I have already installed it back into a different tranny and she is ready to go in when the engine is (got the engine out for a some "alterations").

Its all good. "That's racing"

Oh yeah, the OBX is now history and the Quaife is taking its place.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq

barza21Dec-28-08 11:14 PM
Member since Oct 09th 2006
313 posts,
#7561, "RE: Its crunch time now"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by eclipse RS-T damn that suxs, was this on the obx lsd?
No, the ERT LSD (no longer available. Went out of business. Too bad, great product). Oddly enough it was like the "hand of god" was watching out for all the other parts, lol. It appears that all are basically untouched (sans the diff). I pulled the ERT out of there, and minus a little deflection on one of the sides, it appears to be OK. I have already installed it back into a different tranny and she is ready to go in when the engine is (got the engine out for a some "alterations"). Its all good. "That's racing" Oh yeah, the OBX is now history and the Quaife is taking its place.

How did that happen? Were there any signs of the differential about to blow? I have a quaife in my tranny and dont want this to happen to me, that's why I am asking...

I wish I had blown it, believe me, I do...

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-31-08 01:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#7602, "RE: Its crunch time now"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by barza21
How did that happen? Were there any signs of the differential about to blow? I have a quaife in my tranny and dont want this to happen to me, that's why I am asking...

I was testing out a new suspension set-up; solid struts in back. I liked the theory, so I made some and was fighting wheel hop that day. Had to play with it out of the hole, but with the 1 to 2 speedshift, I blew her up. Quaife or not, if you are playing with wheel hop, you are taking the chance of blowing her up.

Couple of things though; I did notice that my passenger axle was broken (within the cage area). I don't know if that was the cause of the hop, or the effect (with our cars you can still launch with a broken passenger axle. I've done it. But obviously not if the axle is snapped, lol). Also, I have since talked with a couple more people who have tried the solid struts and they were able to make it work but they (oddly enough) found that their times were not the best. So I'll be shelving this idea.

Incidentally, since I put the slicks on, I have had NO problem with wheel hop.

Captain Caveman

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7464 Previous topic | Next topic