Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7449
View in linear mode

Subject: "Transmission Woes" Previous topic | Next topic
squeebDec-08-08 01:07 AM
Member since Mar 12th 2008
17 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7449, "Transmission Woes"

So, among other things I'm dealing with right now, my transmission feels like it may be on its way out. I got my car in April, and its got about 165k on it right now. Along with my busted TOB (which I posted about a few months ago) I am having issues now with shifting into gears - mainly second and reverse. Its especially bad within the first 15-20 mins of a cold start. These were all issues over summer, but for obvious reasons the winter weather has amplified them.

I know when I got the car, my mechanic had put in a new clutch. And after I noticed the TOB problem, they pulled the trans (free of charge luckily) and attempted to fix it. Well, I don't know anything about transmissions, but I guess they replaced the wrong bearings..cause the noise pretty much started back up within a few weeks. I decided, to just deal with it...but now with the shifting issues I'm beginning to think I need to seriously consider getting a new transmission.

I saw some posts suggesting things such as fluid changes for rough shifting, but I have to assume my mechanic has replaced the fluid either during the initial work before selling me the car, or during the trans drop they performed shortly after (I'll have to check with him on this). Personally, I figure at 160k+ miles, my problems go far beyond fluid.

So that aside, what are my options? Go and find a used NV-T350? Get the current one rebuilt?

Thanks in advance.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TuxdreamerxDec-08-08 05:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7450, "RE: Transmission Woes"
In response to Reply # 0

If you pay attention do you rest your foot on your clutch pedal at all when you drive? I did then I figured out your slightly putting pressure on the clutch which is moving the TOB and its wearing a spot in it therefore it starts to make noise. If it were me id replace the tranny im having the same issues my second gear grinds almost all the time now unless I push in the clutch and wait for the engine to slow a bit. so I am going to buy a new tranny around tax time.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-09-08 09:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#7451, "RE: Transmission Woes"
In response to Reply # 1

I'd make sure your "mechanic" put the right fluid in it. Lots of places incorrectly assume they can just dump some 90w gear oil in it, and that is entirely not the case.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

shamoo1Dec-09-08 11:36 AM
Member since Dec 19th 2007
24 posts,
#7453, "RE: Transmission Woes"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, a new tranny is the last resort. I am having a similar problem Could be bad Synchro's as a result from wrong fluid(not using nv-t350). Or you could be looking @ my problem which is the Clutch Housing Bearing. Did they replace the Clutch and the Throw Out Bearing?? There are many things is could be but my money is on Wrong fluid ruining your synchro's but really the Clutch Housing Bearing. Ill post the PNC number later.
314 226 3776 you can call if you want and i can maybe give you a run down.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7449 Previous topic | Next topic