Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7434
View in linear mode

Subject: "New clutch, no shift whatsoever." Previous topic | Next topic
96rs-tDec-04-08 02:42 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2203 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7434, "New clutch, no shift whatsoever."
Dec-04-08 02:44 PM by 96rs-t

Ok, little info about what's been going on before i state my problem: I've installed a new clutch, new master cylinder since it was leaking. Car has been sitting for over year, just got finished rebuilding it stock.

I finally get everything back together, bleed the clutch to test drive. I turn on the car and clutch is still soft (i figured it'd be like this since it's new, til i drive it a bit). I can't shift at all into any gear. Car starts fine but won't let me shift. If i try to start the car with the car in gear, it just jerks and won't start.

I had someone push in the clutch as I inspected the slave, and the pushrod seems to move (not much tho, maybe 1/2inch movement). I checked the linkage and it's in place.

I did search but all the problems indicated that people were shifting and then it just became difficult. I can't shift into any gear at all, so I can't even test drive it.

Did I maybe mess up somewhere in the clutch/master install? Thanks.

edit: there is a leak on the hard line going to the slave, could that leak be the culprit? Even with the leak, shouldn't I still be able to shift, just not easily?

SoCal DSM
1996 RS-T: Under Construction
1999 GS AE: New daily driver
"USING NO WAY AS A WAY, HAVING NO LIMITATION AS A LIMITATION"--BRUCE LEE

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever., Moderatorteklein, Dec-04-08 02:52 PM, #1
RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever., Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-04-08 03:25 PM, #2
      RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever., 96rs-t, Dec-04-08 04:55 PM, #3
           RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever., Moderatorteklein, Dec-04-08 05:05 PM, #4
                RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever., 96rs-t, Dec-04-08 05:24 PM, #5
                     RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever., Moderatorteklein, Dec-04-08 05:26 PM, #6
                          RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever., 96rs-t, Dec-05-08 04:10 PM, #7
                               RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever., Moderatorteklein, Dec-05-08 06:07 PM, #8
                                    RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever., Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-06-08 05:06 AM, #9
                                         RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever., Moderatorteklein, Dec-06-08 07:54 PM, #10
                                              RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever., 96rs-t, Dec-16-08 02:59 PM, #11

ModeratortekleinDec-04-08 02:52 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#7435, "RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever."
In response to Reply # 0
Dec-04-08 02:56 PM by teklein

You need to fix the leak. My guess is that the system was improperly bled in the first place.

The clutch is a hydraulic system, do you think a leak helps hold pressure?

Fix the leak, bleed the master, then bleed the slave.

Should be fine then.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-04-08 03:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7436, "RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever."
In response to Reply # 1

Moved to more appropriate spot and Teklein is correct.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

96rs-tDec-04-08 04:55 PM
2203 posts,
#7437, "RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever."
In response to Reply # 2

ok, it seems your are correct on bleeding incorrectly. All I did was bleed the slave. Had no idea I had to bleed the master as well.

Total nub question. How do I bleed the master?

SoCal DSM

ModeratortekleinDec-04-08 05:05 PM
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#7438, "RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever."
In response to Reply # 3

Way I do it once its in the car:

Have someone sit in the drivers seat.
Place rag under the master, where the hard line is screwed on with the flare nut.
Remove cap, fill reservoir.
Have that person push the clutch in a few times, then stop and hold the clutch down.
You break the nut, fluid will come out.
Repeat a few times, making sure the reservoir is full each time. You want a steady stream of fluid to come out a couple times.

After you do that, bleed the slave again.

96rs-tDec-04-08 05:24 PM
2203 posts,
#7439, "RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever."
In response to Reply # 4

cool, ty.

Now when i break the nut, am i just unscrewing it all the way after pumping clutch and holding?

Do I fully screw it in and repeat?

SoCal DSM

ModeratortekleinDec-04-08 05:26 PM
1699 posts,
#7440, "RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever."
In response to Reply # 5

You break the nut loose while the clutch is held to the floor.

You tighten the nut all the way while the clutch is still held to the floor.

Only then do you release the clutch, otherwise your not being effective at clearing the cylinder of air.

96rs-tDec-05-08 04:10 PM
2203 posts,
#7441, "RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever."
In response to Reply # 6

tyvm. points for the speedy responses.

SoCal DSM

ModeratortekleinDec-05-08 06:07 PM
1699 posts,
#7443, "RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever."
In response to Reply # 7
Dec-05-08 06:07 PM by teklein

Im pretty much the shit.

Hope its working well for you!

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-06-08 05:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#7447, "RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever."
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by teklein
Im pretty much shit.

fixed

(hey, you made that way to easy, lol)

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

ModeratortekleinDec-06-08 07:54 PM
1699 posts,
#7448, "RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever."
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by teklein Im pretty much shit.
fixed (hey, you made that way to easy, lol)

Heh!

Thanks, missed that error

96rs-tDec-16-08 02:59 PM
2203 posts,
#7461, "RE: New clutch, no shift whatsoever."
In response to Reply # 10
Dec-16-08 03:10 PM by 96rs-t

edit: fixed.

SoCal DSM

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7434 Previous topic | Next topic